Launch Member

Enthusiast II

French Settlement Louisiana
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
Losh
Member #

Hello Friends, I am trying to plan a fun two month trip with my family that includes Jeep badge trails, national parks/forests and great, off the beaten path, trails and points of interest. I have the southern part of the trip planned up to the Rubicon trail. From there we plan to hit the Redwoods north of Eureka then generically head to Tillamook OR then up to Olympic park in Washington. Looking for any advice on the trek from Rubicon to Eureka then north. Really no road to small and no point to remote for this trip. We drive, wheel, hike, camp and explore if that brings something to mind. Thanks for the help

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
Since you're going to be up near Eureka, I'd recommend Fern Canyon. It's a cool hike, and has some movie history to it. Also keep in mind it's quite a trek from the Rubicon to the North Coast(between Santa Rosa and Eureka) with only a few roads cutting over from the Central Valley to the coast.

Reactions: TrlMixx

JaredThomsen

Rank VI

Member III

Concord, Contra Costa County, California, United States
First Name
Jared
Last Name
Thomsen
Member #

Hello Friends, I am trying to plan a fun two month trip with my family that includes Jeep badge trails, national parks/forests and great, off the beaten path, trails and points of interest. I have the southern part of the trip planned up to the Rubicon trail. From there we plan to hit the Redwoods north of Eureka then generically head to Tillamook OR then up to Olympic park in Washington. Looking for any advice on the trek from Rubicon to Eureka then north. Really no road to small and no point to remote for this trip. We drive, wheel, hike, camp and explore if that brings something to mind. Thanks for the help
Sounds like an awesome trip!

I’ve not done this trail personally (but did watch a YouTube video where someone recorded highlights of them doing it), but the Mendocino Backroads Discovery Trail looks like an amazing trail off-road trail through some amazing areas in Northern California. Worth looking into!

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
Sounds like an awesome trip!

I’ve not done this trail personally (but did watch a YouTube video where someone recorded highlights of them doing it), but the Mendocino Backroads Discovery Trail looks like an amazing trail off-road trail through some amazing areas in Northern California. Worth looking into!
That's a great loop. Did it last summer.

One of the roads they could take to cut across is the Hwy 162 out of Willows. There are several camping spots along the way. it runs the southern portion of the loop. It turns into Alder Springs Rd/Forest hwy 7/Mendocino Pass Rd. as you get to Eel River station. And from there you can get to the 101 north heading out towards Covelo.

Another option is to cut across Hwy 20, then hit Elk Mountain Rd to Lake Pillsbury. Catch the M1 on the north side of the Lake and take that passed Hull Mountain, then to Eel River station. Again, lots of camping along M1.

FishFam_logs

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Livermore, CA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Fisher
I'll throw a recommendation in for Usal Beach camping and a trip through the Avenue of the Giants. Mendocino National Forest certainly has some nice camping and remote spots as well. If you wanted to head towards the coast after the Rubicon.

Or head north, Bowman Lake and Signal Peak trails. Or even Lassen Volcanic National Park (never been myself).

Rav4_Overland

Rank VIII

Steward I

Kyle, Texas, United States
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Lindquist
Member #

When is your trip? If you are near Redding I recommend the Shasta Bali trail. It’s pretty easy but there are rough spots here and there and the views from the top are amazing. Also if you’re near Olympia I recommend checking out the Hoh Indian museum. Have fun and be safe!

TrlMixx

Rank VI

Trail Blazer I

Napa, Napa County, California, United States
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Kramer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG6PHL
Hello!

If you’re going to be near Rubicon, you should look into Sourgrass, Corral Hollow, Slick Rock (the mini Rubicon), and Deer Valley. They are all trails off of Highway 4. I put the trails in order as you drive up highway 4. Highway 4 also takes you through Markleeville to South Lake Tahoe.

I have all the GPX Files if your interested in any of those trails.

Have a great time and be safe!

TrlMixx