Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
Got back from Covington, VA on Sunday from the Adventure X Fest event that swas Sept 11-13. Had an absolute blast. Quick recap of the event timeline:

Got in Friday afternoon just before the gates opened at 1500 and check out humpback bridge. Very awesome bridge you can walk on. One of the oldest around and very well maintained. Rolled over to the basecamp field at Jackson River Sports Complex. Event was capped at 100 rigs and due tomcovid each spot for the vehicles had a 6' separator box between them which actually worked great. Plenty of room to stretch out without being on top of each other. Headed over to main event tents and met Dean from Blue ridge Overland Gear and chatted with him for a bit. Then met the Mountain State Overland gang who was the ones who put the event on in coordination with Allegheny County Rec department. Got to meet Jason and Gabby. Awesome folks. Headed over to the beer garden which was done by local brewery Greenbrier Valley brewing all weekend. Enjoyed some live music and brews and hung out with some new folks Id never met before till they turned the lights out at 11.....but we just kept enjoying the night. Finally hit the hay around 12:30 am. Up at 6:30 am. Had breakfast and rallied some friendly faces together for our little gang of 5 rigs to hit some trails.

MSO sent out maps ahead of time so I was able to put all my routes into Gaia. My group had my F150, a lifted Subaru Outback, a lifted Tacoma, a non lifted Tacoma and a Lexus GS470 non lifted. We set out for the day around 0830 and did as many trails as WF could find. Most were rutted out forest service roads. It was so foggy you'd cut it with a knife. Killed some mountain top views but had a cool feeling all its own. Went from 600ft all the way up to 3200 ft. Some mudhoke crossings. Everyone did great and no one did any damage to their vehicles which was the main goal.

Stopped for lunch at an awesome little restaurant called swinging bridge. Local raised Bison and some bison burgers on tap. Back off to the trails to finish off the day. Got some really fun mud holes to hit and of course went full send through them. I mean.... Im gonna need to wash it anyway, might as well be worth it. Finished up the day on the trails and headed back to basecamp. Cleaned up, and aired up tires, had dinner and then enjoyed a live show from the Vegabonds! After that we all hung out in the camping area and the band even came out and had some brews with everyone.

Overall it was an awesome event and very well put on. Felt small yet big at the same time. Can't get over how many awesome folks I got to meet and friends that were made. We are all looking forward to next year already. Should be the same 2nd weekend in September. Saw plenty of Overland Bound member decals. They also had the option to float the jackson river in a tube, and kayak rentals. They would pick you up and bring you back with a shuttle courtesy of the Allegheny Highlands group for a very small fee. Definitely family friendly as well! Hope some other members chime in, it was a blast!

Attachments

l_vandyke

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dodgetown, NC, USA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Vandyke
Member #

Got back from Covington, VA on Sunday from the Adventure X Fest event that swas Sept 11-13. Had an absolute blast. Quick recap of the event timeline:

Got in Friday afternoon just before the gates opened at 1500 and check out humpback bridge. Very awesome bridge you can walk on. One of the oldest around and very well maintained. Rolled over to the basecamp field at Jackson River Sports Complex. Event was capped at 100 rigs and due tomcovid each spot for the vehicles had a 6' separator box between them which actually worked great. Plenty of room to stretch out without being on top of each other. Headed over to main event tents and met Dean from Blue ridge Overland Gear and chatted with him for a bit. Then met the Mountain State Overland gang who was the ones who put the event on in coordination with Allegheny County Rec department. Got to meet Jason and Gabby. Awesome folks. Headed over to the beer garden which was done by local brewery Greenbrier Valley brewing all weekend. Enjoyed some live music and brews and hung out with some new folks Id never met before till they turned the lights out at 11.....but we just kept enjoying the night. Finally hit the hay around 12:30 am. Up at 6:30 am. Had breakfast and rallied some friendly faces together for our little gang of 5 rigs to hit some trails.

MSO sent out maps ahead of time so I was able to put all my routes into Gaia. My group had my F150, a lifted Subaru Outback, a lifted Tacoma, a non lifted Tacoma and a Lexus GS470 non lifted. We set out for the day around 0830 and did as many trails as WF could find. Most were rutted out forest service roads. It was so foggy you'd cut it with a knife. Killed some mountain top views but had a cool feeling all its own. Went from 600ft all the way up to 3200 ft. Some mudhoke crossings. Everyone did great and no one did any damage to their vehicles which was the main goal.

Stopped for lunch at an awesome little restaurant called swinging bridge. Local raised Bison and some bison burgers on tap. Back off to the trails to finish off the day. Got some really fun mud holes to hit and of course went full send through them. I mean.... Im gonna need to wash it anyway, might as well be worth it. Finished up the day on the trails and headed back to basecamp. Cleaned up, and aired up tires, had dinner and then enjoyed a live show from the Vegabonds! After that we all hung out in the camping area and the band even came out and had some brews with everyone.

Overall it was an awesome event and very well put on. Felt small yet big at the same time. Can't get over how many awesome folks I got to meet and friends that were made. We are all looking forward to next year already. Should be the same 2nd weekend in September. Saw plenty of Overland Bound member decals. They also had the option to float the jackson river in a tube, and kayak rentals. They would pick you up and bring you back with a shuttle courtesy of the Allegheny Highlands group for a very small fee. Definitely family friendly as well! Hope some other members chime in, it was a blast!
definitely a fun trip. Enjoyed meeting ya and riding some trails together. Hope to be at the next AXF

Reactions: Maverick9110E