Adventure Trailers Habitat - Looking for Recommendations

• HTML tutorial

Rick_A

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

California
Member #

I'm considering an Adventure Trailers Habit for a Tacoma double cab short bed. Does anyone have first hand experience with the Habitat? And, I know this is a big ask, is there anyone within 100 miles of the San Francisco Bay Area who is willing to let me to take a look at their Habitat?

mitchandbuck

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alameda CA
First Name
Mitch
Last Name
Hammond
Member #

I don't have one, but what is the advantage to a rack with a RTT?

Can't make it through the day? Back up, and get a run at it!

Rick_A

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

California
Member #

My main concern is using the ladder to access the RTT. The last thing I need is falling off the ladder in the middle of nowhere. The Habitat is entered through the truck bed, so the worst case is a 3' fall into the bed. I would also like secure storage in the bed which is not provided by a rack. (This is more of an issue on the road getting to and from the trail head.)

professorkx

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

My main concern is using the ladder to access the RTT. The last thing I need is falling off the ladder in the middle of nowhere. The Habitat is entered through the truck bed, so the worst case is a 3' fall into the bed. I would also like secure storage in the bed which is not provided by a rack. (This is more of an issue on the road getting to and from the trail head.)
I agree with your concern on the ladder and falling. I found on the smittybilt trailer and RTT I just got that the ladder isn't designed to put the tent low on the top of the trailer. So, I lined up the ladder rungs and drilled a new hole for the catch. I built a couple of feet out of 12 inch 4x4 by cutting a shallow square hole in the middle, just in case I am camping on ground that is not level.

You can do this same thing on a RTT on a truck, mount the tent low and make the ladder extend less, making your climb into and out of the tent very short.

I also bought a larger tent so I could put the porta-potty inside the tent off to one edge...hey, getting older means a couple of trips to the bathroom in the middle of the night, and I saw the greatest ladder risk trying to climb down in the middle of the night.

Rick_A

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

California
Member #

Those night trips are probably not that far in my future..... I'm planning a trip to Goose Gear to look at a Habitat. If I decide to change to a RTT, I may need to talk to you more about your ladder mods. Thanks for the input!

Gary A

Rank 0

Traveler I

I'm in the Bay Area too and wanted to see one. I was in SLC last weekend and went to Equipt to see their Habitat. They actually had it mounted on a Taco bed turned into a trailer - the bed came off a salvage Taco. Very nice. I have the same concern about you with the ladder, especially if it's wet and/or dark. Plus the ability to stand up and stretch out increases the functionality significantly. I've slept many nights in tents and I know the ability to fully stand up is a nice luxury. I'm also considering the Ursa Minor out of San Diego. They make it for the Jeep JKU now and have a prototype for a Taco version in the works. If they have it ready I'd like to go down there in November to check it out. I'm leaning heavily toward the Taco Habitat over the JKU Ursa Minor at this point.

FJ81

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southern California
Member #

Isnt the expedition overland guy on here? If you have researched it I am sure you have seen his videos on youtube. Maybe try and reach out to him.

Jean Klaude The Jeep

Rank VI
Investor

Traveler III

Lexington, Henderson County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Shelby
Member #

I've been looking at the AT Habitat, trying to come up with a long term camping solution, but $8,800 seems a little steep to me for a camper shell with a flip open tent on top.

I'm trying to get my head wrapped around a trailer design to pull behind the Excursion, that's not a teardrop or a roof top tent. I like the idea of the habitat. Idk brain is running in circles!!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

aaen

Rank 0

Traveler I

They are a pretty slick little unit. I agree, I can't justify the cost of a canopy with a flip tent on it. The one I was in had a lot of wind buffeting in the tent, while i was checking it out. Reminded me of my days of sleeping high up in the mountains in cheap walmart tents, you thought you ere going to get blown off the mountain with.

Another option maybe Gofast campers, I was on their preorder list but recently backed out. Great product, I just couldn't justify it for myself.

Steve