Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I've only slept in my roof top tent once since it's just not turning spring here. I'm wondering if anyone else has added anything to their roof top tent to make it even more comfortable? Even though my tent has a 3" foam mattress inside, it just does not seem that comfortable. I'm thinking of adding a 2" or 3" memory foam mattress pad. They advertise that you can simply leave your bedding in the tent and fold it up. Just not sure how much you can realistically leave in there.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Soft Toilet Paper

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor II

Sonoma County, California
Member #

dziner,
I own and use my Roof Top Tent often and have found the cheapest way to thicken up your mattress. If you have children and have bought them Sleeping bags from Walmart or Target in time they out grow there Sleeping Bags. As parents we usually stuff our children Sleeping Bags in a closet, storage, and so on. If you remove your pad and lay out all your Sleeping Bags on the bottom of your tent, then replace the pad back over the top of the Sleeping Bags that you piled up. Use a sheet to keep everything place and lay your blankets and pillows evenly. You have extra Sleeping Bags for anyone who needs one while out on your trips, and your Tent Pad has 3 to 4 inches more of padding. May sound Hill Billy but it works, very comfortable, and very warm.

Hope this helped..

squirrel_cage

Rank 0

Contributor I

We ran into the same issue. After using different self inflating sleeping pads, we finally landed on the Exped Mega Mat Duo. A bit expensive, but was worth every penny! It also fits wall to wall instead of leaving a gap on one side. (Wife was always falling into that gap) so much happier now!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

I have used the "self-inflating" sleeping pads under the mattress. The trick to them is to actually put your mouth on the inflation valve and blow them up like a pool toy. Put two of them under the memory foam mattress and you will sleep like a baby. Just remember to open the valves before you close the tent back up.

Reactions: dziner