Adding an Awning beside a RTT?

• HTML tutorial

Blaine

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Grande Prairie AB
Member #

I’ve ordered an ARB 2500mm awning to go with my Tepui Kukanam XL Ruggedized RTT on my taco. Question for the members: any advice on how to avoid interference with the rain fly poles on the RTT? My tent is on homemade load bars which are only 3” tall so it sits low on the roof. I’m pretty tall so I want the awning to end up a little higher than the roof line. I will be building the brackets so anything is really possible. I was considering leaving a 4-6” gap between the RTT and the awning then doing a custom double 90* bend to the fly poles on the tent to get them to clear the awning. Thoughts? Has anyone done anything like this and could share some pics?

Forgive my sketch on the back of an envelop.....

Reactions: Jeeper Jake

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
If you mount the awning above where the fly rods enter you're likely gonna have a hell of a time getting back there to zip up the weather cover. Awnings are never an easy thing to set up, especially with additional gear like a tent. I had mine mounted just below and about 3" away from the lower floor of the tent. Maybe this is an excuse for a bigger lift :PIMG_3155.JPG

Reactions: blackntan

Blaine

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Grande Prairie AB
Member #

If you mount the awning above where the fly rods enter you're likely gonna have a hell of a time getting back there to zip up the weather cover. Awnings are never an easy thing to set up, especially with additional gear like a tent. I had mine mounted just below and about 3" away from the lower floor of the tent. Maybe this is an excuse for a bigger lift :PView attachment 18132
Nice rig!
Your awning set up is not practical for me because of my low profile load bars and I wouldn’t be able to stand up under it. I had considered the zipper issue you brought up, and figure I could mount it in such a way the RTT cover could be zipped up from under the awning.

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

Can you bring the awning further out and have the L shape piece come down instead of up? Or even make it a T shape? Just to give you access to the tent cover and fly poles.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Blaine

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Grande Prairie AB
Member #

Can you bring the awning further out and have the L shape piece come down instead of up? Or even make it a T shape? Just to give you access to the tent cover and fly poles.

That sounds a bit like what I’m trying to accomplish, I was hoping someone would chime in with a pic or 2 of something like this. I will be making the brackets from scratch so then can be what ever they need to be, just hoping to see someone else solution to the problem.

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

That sounds a bit like what I’m trying to accomplish, I was hoping someone would chime in with a pic or 2 of something like this. I will be making the brackets from scratch so then can be what ever they need to be, just hoping to see someone else solution to the problem.
So the ones I was thinking about (I'd need these to fit an awning to my round bar rack) would look like this.

If it's a flat bar rack I guess you could use the same design but with two bolts and a piece of flat bar with a hole it each end to bridge the two (in place of the u bolts) or something like this?

Not really sure what your rack looks like so maybe someone with exact setup you have would have a better idea.

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

I should add I've also bent the fly poles to clear some of the stuff on the rack although not as much as 90 degrees.

Blaine

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Grande Prairie AB
Member #

Maybe have a awning mount that can slide in and out so that when driving the awning is inward toward the vehicle and up against the tent and when parked and tent is open you can pull the awning mount outward to clear the fly rods. This Telestrut looks super solid to do the job. http://www.unistrutohio.com/telestrut-telescoping-square-tubing/
This is a great idea! I could build this to detach from the side and mount on the rear for coverage over the cooking area in the rear.

Jeeper Jake

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Sandy, UT
Member #

I’ve ordered an ARB 2500mm awning to go with my Tepui Kukanam XL Ruggedized RTT on my taco. Question for the members: any advice on how to avoid interference with the rain fly poles on the RTT? My tent is on homemade load bars which are only 3” tall so it sits low on the roof. I’m pretty tall so I want the awning to end up a little higher than the roof line. I will be building the brackets so anything is really possible. I was considering leaving a 4-6” gap between the RTT and the awning then doing a custom double 90* bend to the fly poles on the tent to get them to clear the awning. Thoughts? Has anyone done anything like this and could share some pics?

Forgive my sketch on the back of an envelop.....

Resurrecting this post to see if you found a solution. I have this exact same setup, and actually had the exact same solution for bending the tension rods around the awning. I haven't done mine yet and if you were successful I would love to take a look at the results.

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

its a pain. I have ikapmer even with set up I have move as much as can tent on side and awning other way, as bolt were touched the hard shell in open configuration. Still, I have cut bolt. All set up by yourself is a pain. thousand time on and off, all this very heavy and impossible to to hold by yourself. Lots swear and sweat. The soft tent is easy but poles is on way. Geez man

Attachments