Rank IV

Influencer II

Cottonwood Heights, UT, USA
First Name
Bronco
Last Name
Trail
Member #

I'll be getting a Warn winch and JCR winch plate installed soon. The total weight will be 121 lbs.

I am guessing this extra weight will drop the nose a little bit, affecting my ride height and decreasing my ground clearance slightly.

What do I need to do suspension wise to make up for this additional weight and get the vehicle to drive the way it always has?

Thanks!

Reactions: MooreAdventures

BroncoTrail

Rank IV

Influencer II

First Name
Bronco
Last Name
Trail
Member #

@madcratebuilder
@JackAttack

OK how long did you wait after you added the weight (winch, etc.) to the front-end before you took measurements and then installed the new springs?
My installer is saying to wait 4-6 weeks after installing the winch + mount before ordering and installing new springs.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
He said that so you can wait for the newish suspension to settle, before picking new springs.

You're new springs may be too tall for a little while. Something most noticeable on 4" lifts, on Rams and Superduties.

But if the Bronco guys are all running the same spring with winches........

Reactions: BroncoTrail

JackAttack

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ripley QLD, Australia
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Fredericks
Member #

@madcratebuilder
@JackAttack

OK how long did you wait after you added the weight (winch, etc.) to the front-end before you took measurements and then installed the new springs?
My installer is saying to wait 4-6 weeks after installing the winch + mount before ordering and installing new springs.
A month is how long I waited after installing all the extra weight before pulling trigger.

Reactions: BroncoTrail

Adam_32194

Rank IV

Steward I

Wichita Falls, Wichita County, Texas, United States
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Gardner
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
I'll be getting a Warn winch and JCR winch plate installed soon. The total weight will be 121 lbs.

I am guessing this extra weight will drop the nose a little bit, affecting my ride height and decreasing my ground clearance slightly.

What do I need to do suspension wise to make up for this additional weight and get the vehicle to drive the way it always has?

Thanks!
I’m guessing by your pic and name it’s a new bronco? With that said. You need to get a stock height measurement. Try from the bottom of the fender to center of tire hub. (Axle). Get a second measurement after install of your gear. What you’re most likely going to notice is the front springs, which hold the weight of the vehicle and gear are going to be compressed more statically (just sitting there). As you ride along a bouncy trail you’ll notice your vehicle bounce some more as the springs MAY be slightly undersized to adequately absorb the movement. So with all that said, you’ll need to put on a stiffer spring. Either as a complete kit shock and spring or just spring. Could be a time to put a lift on if you want to also increase your ride hide. So bottom line. Get some measurements loaded and unloaded. See how it rides on the type of trails you expect to go on. Then look into replace your front and maybe rear springs.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Put your winch on and drive it for a year.

If in a year you're still worried about it, re-spring it.
People get way too caught up in these deals. What about when you put your 250 pound buddy in the passenger seat?

Chris Starling

Rank V

Contributor III

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Starling
Member #

I couldn’t tell a difference on my Jeep when I added a new steel bumper and winch. Best advice I can give is put it on and try it out.

BroncoTrail

Rank IV

Influencer II

First Name
Bronco
Last Name
Trail
Member #

Put your winch on and drive it for a year.

If in a year you're still worried about it, re-spring it.
People get way too caught up in these deals. What about when you put your 250 pound buddy in the passenger seat?
Small details matter. Why do people care about having 9.6" of ground clearance vs. 10.7"? Ever been to Moab? Ever "almost scrape" or "almost hit" or "almost tip over"? Do you know what an approach angle is?

Anyway, I took measurements before having the winch installed, took measurements after, and noticed a difference in nose height and decrease in approach angle. I waited I think a month or so and then had new springs put on and it brought the nose back up to wear it should be. Problem solved.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Small details matter. Why do people care about having 9.6" of ground clearance vs. 10.7"? Ever been to Moab? Ever "almost scrape" or "almost hit" or "almost tip over"? Do you know what an approach angle is?

Anyway, I took measurements before having the winch installed, took measurements after, and noticed a difference in nose height and decrease in approach angle. I waited I think a month or so and then had new springs put on and it brought the nose back up to wear it should be. Problem solved.
Wow that's harsh, what does being to Moab have to do with anything? I've been to the 4 corners region 15-20 times, lost count, I'd have to go back through my photo files to know for sure. But Moab? Its a town of about 5,000 people with paved roads, a lot of little tourist trap type shops, and way too many tourists. But, hey, street cars with 3" of clearance seem to have no problem in Moab. So what's your point. Ah, that's right, small details matter! Forgive my sarcasm dude, but lose the attitude. You don't even work on your own vehicle. Bruce is absolutely correct, people get all caught up in this stuff trying to make their vehicle perfect and losing an inch of clearance is not a big deal for an overlanding rig. Competition rock crawler? Then ya, an inch of clearance might be the difference between winning an event or not. I've been doing this stuff for 30 some years, building as I go. It took over ten years to get my cruiser dialed in perfectly for what we do. You sold your Bronco, already? That doesn't surprise me. It doesn't even have a solid axle.