Hawkesbury, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Pierre
Last Name
Dubois
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3HWK
Hi guys. Anyone have a recommendation for what type and brand and size of axe should I get to bring with me while overlanding?
Thanks.

Matthew Reed

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Reed
Member #

I would recommend a full size axe. I used a hatchet for awhile and found that every trip I had to say to myself “why don’t I have an axe?” Currently I’m using a Fiskars splitting axe. You can find them on amazon pretty reasonable priced and they carry a lifetime warranty. I also have a cheap one that I picked up at Harbor freight that gets used to split wood in the backyard. I wanted one I wouldn’t feel bad about constantly leaving outside for days at a time.

I know a lot of people can get pretty opinionated about their axes, personally I’ve never been able to justify spending a ton of money on one. The Fiskars is around $50 and I hated spending that much! It’s pretty solid though and I doubt I’ll ever have to replace it. There’s a debate to be had about splitting axes vs chopping axes. I have a bow saw for cutting so I typically only use the axe for splitting.

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
I also use a Fiskars. Its the X25. It comes super sharp and is a solid axe for the price. If you are taller than 6' you may want to get a longer one. I don't think I need anything else cuz most of the time I also carry a chainsaw.

Reactions: JeepsterPete

JeepsterPete

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Hawkesbury, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Pierre
Last Name
Dubois
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3HWK
I would recommend a full size axe. I used a hatchet for awhile and found that every trip I had to say to myself “why don’t I have an axe?” Currently I’m using a Fiskars splitting axe. You can find them on amazon pretty reasonable priced and they carry a lifetime warranty. I also have a cheap one that I picked up at Harbor freight that gets used to split wood in the backyard. I wanted one I wouldn’t feel bad about constantly leaving outside for days at a time.

I know a lot of people can get pretty opinionated about their axes, personally I’ve never been able to justify spending a ton of money on one. The Fiskars is around $50 and I hated spending that much! It’s pretty solid though and I doubt I’ll ever have to replace it. There’s a debate to be had about splitting axes vs chopping axes. I have a bow saw for cutting so I typically only use the axe for splitting.
Thanks for the tip. I must add that I carry a chainsaw for cutting as well.

BchBum11511

Rank V
Launch Member

Navigator I

Huntsville, AL, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

I have a 20" axe that I use. It was slightly larger than a hatchet, enough to get two hands on if needed. Works for small and mid-size needs. If I need to do larger work, I have a chainsaw.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Think garage sale. I've never bought a new axe, I live in the forest. But what do you want it to do. Do you want a splitting mall or a kindling hatchet. Brand ? Size ? This ain't no i-phone. There is zero technology involved. If the local Home Hardware can't sell you the right product........

then theres this if you are serious.....

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I figure overlanding is all about people, culture. Logging is pretty universal on culture. Loggers Competitions are inspiring, one of the last bastions of pure uncorrupted sport.

If you see that sign, Loggers Competition.......... do not drive by...... go see.

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
I won a Fiskers spliting axe last year that is one nice piece of kit , I also carry a bog standard "cutting" axe. They both get a fair bit of use, chainsaws work but I find swinging an axe pretty stress relieving.

bumbleruck

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Denver, CO
First Name
David
Last Name
M
You guys have any suggestions for length? I've got a short bow saw for cutting wood to size so I figure I'll mostly be splitting, but I'm shying away from just getting a hatchet because I hate getting single-use items. There are so many available lengths that without having used an axe in a few years I'm a little lost.

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
Most axes come is pretty standard length, 28 to 36 inches. Shorter is better for control I checked, my Fiskers splitting axe is 36 and my regular axe 34. 31/ 34 would work pretty well for most things. But if you splitting would that Fiskers makes short work of it, it really is an excellent tool.

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
What do you plan to use the axe for? Cutting firewood? Clearing trail?

If it's for firewood then personally I like the combination of a good folding saw such as a Silky Big Boy 2000 and a splitting hatchet. The saw makes fast work of bucking logs, with less lost wood than an axe. It's also safer to use. In my area its easiest to find dry wood in the 2" to 8" diameter range so many pieces can go right on the fire, and a splitting hatchet can split up the bigger logs.

The Silky can also be used to clear trees up to about 8" diameter off the road. Anything larger than that and I'm not sure I'd want to try to cut through it with an axe (usually the tree is at an awkward height or angle), a chainsaw would be more useful, but I'd first try to just winch the tree to the side of the road.