Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

Looking for an insider's perspective. Plan is to take a rented 30' RV (Family refuses tents) and tow my Xterra behind. I'm wondering if anyone has any must do suggestions in the area or better yet, a good RV park that's not booked to park at. Driving up from NJ so it's about a 9 hour drive (probably more in an RV). Looking for any help, suggestions. If this was strictly me in my truck I'd be able to take care of this but I want to keep my family happy too. I also have an 11YO daughter coming with us so looking for stuff she'd like too.

wigsajumper

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
What time frame?

Everything around there is booking early if not already booked. My boys really enjoyed (9 & 11) the beach, Thunderhole, running around the rocks by Thunderhole. Cadillac Mountain they were kind of blah about it but my wife and I thought it was cool.

Bar Harbor has a bunch of shopping and eating if they get tired of Nature.

If you have room for bikes try the bike paths you will get to parts of the park that is unreachable to the rest of the park. We haven't ever actually stayed in the park.

If you can not get in at the Acadia Camping locations there is a very nice State Park close by we stayed at last time we went to Acadia. It was our half way stop coming home from Lubec. Lamoine State Park has room for larger RVs, a few hook ups, dump stations, clean bath houses. Also has playground, pier and beach. The water was fairly calm when we were there due to it being in the bay.

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

What time frame?

Everything around there is booking early if not already booked. My boys really enjoyed (9 & 11) the beach, Thunderhole, running around the rocks by Thunderhole. Cadillac Mountain they were kind of blah about it but my wife and I thought it was cool.

Bar Harbor has a bunch of shopping and eating if they get tired of Nature.

If you have room for bikes try the bike paths you will get to parts of the park that is unreachable to the rest of the park. We haven't ever actually stayed in the park.

If you can not get in at the Acadia Camping locations there is a very nice State Park close by we stayed at last time we went to Acadia. It was our half way stop coming home from Lubec. Lamoine State Park has room for larger RVs, a few hook ups, dump stations, clean bath houses. Also has playground, pier and beach. The water was fairly calm when we were there due to it being in the bay.
We're going in late August. I see a lot of the spots that look real nice are booked but there is still places that are open. But they seem to be filling up quick.

wigsajumper

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
We're going in late August. I see a lot of the spots that look real nice are booked but there is still places that are open. But they seem to be filling up quick.
Not a bad time to go if you are going to do the summer months. Local schools will start to head back to school last week of August and MA schools start mid August (I think) I would grab something soon before they disappear. HipCamp might be an option if you are able to Boondock. Western part of the island tends to be less crowded fwiw. Family and I usually go during the shoulder seasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: diabetiktaco

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Acadia NP is like Cape Breton to me, Been there and no need to go back.. Everyone, I mean everyone goes there! Maine has so much to offer (also like the Maritimes) that you don't have to go there to see the true region. Then again.. 'everyone goes there'..

I am a fan of Lamoine State Park for stays & day run into Acadia NP. Schoodic Woods is the other side of Acadia and I find it more of a Maine style coastline. Also Winter Harbor is a great little seacoast town to visit. Also gets very busy over there, though my impression is lesser than Acadia NP proper.

Reservations up there are 2 months out, so you still have time.

If you were in your truck.. I know a great little rustic community park a little further up the road that is now my favorite coastline spot!

Safe Travels

Reactions: diabetiktaco

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

August is about as early as I'd go and the skeeters are pretty tolerable at that point. Early in the summer they along with the black flies will drive you mad.

Personally, I agree with @RJ Howell... been once and don't feel the need to go again. It's beautiful, don't get me wrong, but there's not a ton to do and you're in friggin' Maine. There is so much around to do there's no need to go to the park that is frankly both inconvenient and busy as hell. I guess what I'm saying is don't be too committed to the park and I'd be looking out and around to see what else you can see.

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

August is about as early as I'd go and the skeeters are pretty tolerable at that point. Early in the summer they along with the black flies will drive you mad.

Personally, I agree with @RJ Howell... been once and don't feel the need to go again. It's beautiful, don't get me wrong, but there's not a ton to do and you're in friggin' Maine. There is so much around to do there's no need to go to the park that is frankly both inconvenient and busy as hell. I guess what I'm saying is don't be too committed to the park and I'd be looking out and around to see what else you can see.
Yeah, I'm not committed. I'd welcome suggestions of other places to go.

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

It's going in the RV that limits any of 'my' good spots.

Do look at Lamoine State Park as mentioned before it's kid friendly with a large area to play in. Winslow Memorial Park just south of Freeport is another. It's a community park with a big picnic/play area! Down side is they allow generators and water front sides are side by side.. Not a good combination.

Nice trip could be a couple days at Winslow, then move up to Lamoine and finish up at Schoodic Woods. Bring your bikes to Schoodic.