Alexandria, VA, USA
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Beckler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K9DGB
Is anyone familiar with an AC to 12 volt DC power supply that is sufficient to power a heavy duty portable air compressor? I'm familiar with bench top style AC to DC power supplies intended for electronic projects, but nothing that would be sufficient for a portable air compressor. The specs for my air compressor (ExtremeAire High Output) is 3/4 HP, continuous duty cycle, max 49 amp draw. The compressor normally connects to a vehicle with alligator clips, but it would be easy to do a DIY solution to be compatible with an AC-DC power supply since my compressor has an Anderson connection. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Why do you need to plug into ac outlet?
Get a battery charger take your 12 v out of your vehicle hook it up to the charger and run the compressor off the battery.

If your willing to hack a laptop charger apart many of them run 12v not sure of amps though probably around 6a

My charger/starter would run it @ 50 amp15948203371334383506435948031005.jpg

Reactions: BikeManDan

BikeManDan

Rank II
Investor

Enthusiast I

Alexandria, VA, USA
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Beckler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K9DGB
Thanks for your reply. I want to run it off AC (sometimes) because I also ride bicycles a lot, and using my compressor will be handy to inflate tubeless bike tires. It's not practical for me to run the compressor off the battery in my vehicle when I want to use it to inflate bike tires.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Great...thanks! I checked Amazon before posting, but apparently my Amazon search skills were insufficient!
I’ve been involved in ham radio a long time, so I’m used to 12 volts and very high amperage. Lol.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Great...thanks! I checked Amazon before posting, but apparently my Amazon search skills were insufficient!
Something to be aware of. Power supplies like this are rated for ICS use, basically for a 25% duty cycle running communications gear.

Reactions: BikeManDan

BikeManDan

Rank II
Investor

Enthusiast I

Alexandria, VA, USA
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Beckler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K9DGB
Something to be aware of. Power supplies like this are rated for ICS use, basically for a 25% duty cycle running communications gear.
That's a great point. I'm beginning to think that my original plan isn't practical. Perhaps Boostpowered's suggestion was the most practical.