Absolute bare essential gear for overlanding

• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast I

Temecula, Riverside County, California, United States
First Name
Edwin
Last Name
Lobos
New to the overlanding community with my new to me '93 Land Cruiser 80 series.

Being new to this and on a budget but still like nice things, what is the absolute bare essential gear that I need for a trip. But not cheap and will have to rebuy.

Vehicle gear, I'm good on camping equipment.

Last edited:
Reactions: caycej and KAIONE

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Are you a outdoors man? When I started I converted much of my backpacking gear to road tripping. Start by liking for good used gear,. A good sleeping pad makes a more comfortable night. there seams that gear is becoming more available as more and more discover Overloading isn't for them. Also check out the discount sellers that move last year or so closeouts. You don't need to be all kitted out to drive and explore.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Food , water , shelter . Let someone know where your going and when you should arrive .
This is the way. I'd add fuel as well.

I started using a cheapo ground tent, and cooked on the tailgate of the truck. My first ever trip was 4 days with complete strangers. I had a blast, made some great friends, and was instantly hooked.

I'm a big fan of buy once cry once. But, sometimes you need to buy the best you can afford. And that's ok. The nice thing is that backpacking equipment is so expensive because it needs to be small and durable,and because we use vehicles, we can get away with equipment that doesn't have to pack down so small.

Mid State Overland

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Little Falls, Minnesota
First Name
David
Last Name
Finch
You dont want to go cheep but you dont need the high end brand name items to overland. An Ozark Trail cooler is will do the same thing as a Yeti for 1/4 of the cost, you can sleep in a colman tent, same goes for you cook stove there are $75 ones out there that cook food as well as the fancy $200 ones. Another option is to put together what you have make a list of it, things you dont have see if you can loan it from a friend or family member, key thing to consider is what you really need vs what you see others have. I know a guy that spends more time on the trail than most, uses items from Walmart, sleeps in his truck in the summer, a pop up fish house in the winter with a home made wood stove, get out with what you have keep a list of what you need and purchase it for the next trip or you will spend all your free time looking at overpriced gear someone else thinks you need.

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

New to the overlanding community with my new to me '93 Land Cruiser 80 series.

Being new to this and on a budget but still like nice things, what is the absolute bare essential gear that I need for a trip. But not cheap and will have to rebuy.
Same kit you’d take on a hike for the same amount of days.
More driving; more gas. Your car can be shelter, then u need water, food, spare tire(lol).

Reactions: ThundahBeagle

Enthusiast I

First Name
Edwin
Last Name
Lobos
Are you a outdoors man? When I started I converted much of my backpacking gear to road tripping. Start by liking for good used gear,. A good sleeping pad makes a more comfortable night. there seams that gear is becoming more available as more and more discover Overloading isn't for them. Also check out the discount sellers that move last year or so closeouts. You don't need to be all kitted out to drive and explore.
In military so fortunately good on the outdoor camping gear

Reactions: Soarer_Dave

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

In military so fortunately good on the outdoor camping gear
Cool, the next step is to go out and use it. Foe me it's about living and enjoying the outdoors, for many it's about stuff and kitting out your rig. I am old school and have more than enough camping gear, the truck is built for me and how I roll. Everything is a trade off in life. I invested instead of spent, now I am retried and live my life mostly on my terms. I am thinking about driving the Pan American route, if/when I do I'll change the rig for full time living.

huachuca

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

tarboro nc
First Name
Al
Last Name
Killebrew
Member #

Since you say you're good on camping gear, I'll assume food and shelter are of little concern and will stick to vehicle recommendations. 1. Tires - Brand / tread pattern dependent on where / how you expect to travel $???? 2. Jack - OEM may be OK and several pieces of 2"x6"x12" pieces of wood $????. 3. Basic hand tools and spare parts - Fuses, bulbs, belts, tape, electrical wire, fluids etc. $???? 4. Lithium ion booster pack - I farm so deal with dead batteries more than most but, other than the tools, find my NOCO jump starter to be the most frequently used piece of gear $200. 5. 12V air pump - Alligator or hard wire connection only. Avoid cigarette plug models $125+. 6. Tire plug kit - Know how to use it. If you source your tires from a local independent dealer, they may offer 'hands on' instruction if so asked $25. 7. Recovery gear - Two 20' tow straps, 20' snatch strap, Four soft shackles (Rating dependent on vehicle weight) $200.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Food , water , shelter . Let someone know where your going and when you should arrive .
yep that is the minimum.

Food, how to keep it cold and secure from animals.
Water, I use and refill Gateraide bottles. They are rigid woth a large mouth. I refill at gas stations or streams and springs.
Shelter, this is mostly about convenience and $$$. On a family budget and as a student that meant the cheapest tent I could find. But there are no limits if you can afford it.

One thing we often do is park between the food prep, eating area and sleeping, tent setup to keep food smells away from sleeping bodies.

Beyond that, be sure someone knows where you are going and when you should be home. Don't rely on anything electronic to save you if disaster strikes in the bush.

Enthusiast I

First Name
Edwin
Last Name
Lobos
Since you say you're good on camping gear, I'll assume food and shelter are of little concern and will stick to vehicle recommendations. 1. Tires - Brand / tread pattern dependent on where / how you expect to travel $???? 2. Jack - OEM may be OK and several pieces of 2"x6"x12" pieces of wood $????. 3. Basic hand tools and spare parts - Fuses, bulbs, belts, tape, electrical wire, fluids etc. $???? 4. Lithium ion booster pack - I farm so deal with dead batteries more than most but, other than the tools, find my NOCO jump starter to be the most frequently used piece of gear $200. 5. 12V air pump - Alligator or hard wire connection only. Avoid cigarette plug models $125+. 6. Tire plug kit - Know how to use it. If you source your tires from a local independent dealer, they may offer 'hands on' instruction if so asked $25. 7. Recovery gear - Two 20' tow straps, 20' snatch strap, Four soft shackles (Rating dependent on vehicle weight) $200.
Thank you, I think recovery gear will be the 1st thing I get

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
93 Land Cruiser 80 series.
on a budget
Sorry but, Cruiser and budget?

1. Baseline vehicle (dont forget head gasket)
2. go have fun.

You have a ton of room in a Cruiser. I sleep in mine occasionally. Its easy to over pack. just think back-packing with a better stove and an ice chest. Stay on dirt roads and all you need is a strap and tow points. My group goes all over the place and if anyone got in trouble, a strap would be enough.

If you don't know where to get parts, send me a PM. I have a few places I buy from. Mine is fairly custom with the rest from Toyota.

pcstockton

Rank III

Advocate I

Portland, OR
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
S
Paper Maps
GPS Maps (GAIA or the like)
Tire Repair Kit
1st Aid Kit
Cash (many campsites only take cash)
Recovery Gear (type of gear matters on whether or not you have a winch)
Traction Boards (if no winch)
Basic Tools
Zip Ties
Fire Extinguisher (Element and Standard)
Axe
Shovel
Toilet Paper
Jack