Launch Member

Benefactor

Fort Mitchell, AL, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Welch
Member #

I have ABS on my rig and have heard you should dissconnect it on the trail. Why is that. I assume when you try to crawl the rig down a hill the ABS makes it difficult to control or dangerouse. Looking for some expert input.

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

ABS increases your stopping distance and is less effective off-pavement.

ABS was designed to repeatedly releases your brakes (pumps your brakes) faster than you could, allowing you to maintain steering ability in panic situations. This increases your stopping distance.

In dirt you need the dirt/gravel/etc. to pile up in front of your tires to help you stop.

The last thing you need going over a bumpy trail is for ABS to kick in and now you can't stop when you want to... or even worse - when you are at the edge of a precipice.

With my FJ when I am in 4Lo the ABS is automatically disabled.

Reactions: Rubyredfozzy

Rubyredfozzy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Fort Mitchell, AL, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Welch
Member #

ABS increases your stopping distance and is less effective off-pavement.

ABS was designed to repeatedly releases your brakes (pumps your brakes) faster than you could, allowing you to maintain steering ability in panic situations. This increases your stopping distance.

In dirt you need the dirt/gravel/etc. to pile up in front of your tires to help you stop.

The last thing you need going over a bumpy trail is for ABS to kick in and now you can't stop when you want to... or even worse - when you are at the edge of a precipice.

With my FJ when I am in 4Lo the ABS is automatically disabled.
Thank you. That makes total sence. I appreciat it. I assume all i would need to do is unplug the fuse for the abs or is it more than that?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using OB Talk mobile app

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

Thank you. That makes total sence. I appreciat it. I assume all i would need to do is unplug the fuse for the abs or is it more than that?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using OB Talk mobile app
Yes. Unplugging the fuse works for me on my FJ. I do this sometimes when we get a big dump of snow and the roads are bad as well. I have found most times in traffic I simply need to stop sooner than I would be able to with ABS... A lot of times there simply is no avenue of escape... stopping is what is needed, not necessarily steering .
I don't tend to panic so I know how to use threshold braking and pump the brakes when needed.