Last Name
Edison
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Not Yet
Service Branch
US Marine Corp
Hi Folks,
I'm a new guy here so maybe this is already a thing, but there is a lot to sort through here in these forums, so I'll just ask ...

There seem to be limited options of multi day overland travel 'off-road'. Is there an advocate group within this community that works with government agencies and forest/land managers etc. to protect and even increase opportunities for overlanding off road?

Many thanks for reply and pointing me to the correct thread.

Jedi-son

Reactions: Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hi Folks,
I'm a new guy here so maybe this is already a thing, but there is a lot to sort through here in these forums, so I'll just ask ...

There seem to be limited options of multi day overland travel 'off-road'. Is there an advocate group within this community that works with government agencies and forest/land managers etc. to protect and even increase opportunities for overlanding off road?

Jedi-son
We have other groups such as Tread Lightly and Blue Ribbon Coalition to advocate on our behalf, they are funded for that purpose.
As for multi day tracks, there are lots on the forum and the map, plus many conversations regarding long term travel on different pages of the forum.

If you would like to email me about this subject please do. Kent@OverlandBound.com

Reactions: Jedi-son

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hi Folks,

Jedi-son
Jedi-son,
I have been working with many groups throughout the northwest to put together land management projects, the problem is/was Covid putting a stop to all my plans. That is going to change this year. There will be some TGE events popping off this year a crossed the Northwest, and I am hoping to have several in your area as well.
I’m sorry I can’t be more help than this right now, but I have your name down to contact when things start ramping up.

This is the time of year when we go into planning mode. I would be surprised if there isn’t a group doing the WABDR this year. If everything goes as planned, I plan to tackle the Nez Perce Trail this fall. The National Historic Nez Perce Trail is mostly highway, but it should actually be off highway to fallow Chief Joseph’s actual route. I have been researching Chief Joseph’s route, and it looks like most of it can be fallowed into logging roads and NFS roads from Wallowa Lake, Oregon to Bear Paw, Montana. I figure the route should take about 2, maybe 3 weeks as the trail system is uncharted as an overland expedition.

There are going to be several OB Northwest Campouts throughout the summer as well. @OTH Overland has been putting on meetups on a regular basis, where the group discussion is focused on trip planning. Be looking for their February Meetup.

Last edited:

shortbus4x4

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Jedi-son,
I have been working with many groups throughout the northwest to put together land management projects, the problem is/was Covid putting a stop to all my plans. That is going to change this year. There will be some TGE events popping off this year a crossed the Northwest, and I am hoping to have several in your area as well.
I’m sorry I can’t be more help than this right now, but I have your name down to contact when things start ramping up.

This is the time of year when we go into planning mode. I would be surprised if there isn’t a group doing the WABDR this year. If everything goes as planned, I plan to tackle the Nez Perce Trail this fall. The National Historic Nez Perce Trail is mostly highway, but it should actually be off highway to fallow Chief Joseph’s actual route. I have been researching Chief Joseph’s route, and it looks like most of it can be fallowed into logging roads and NFS roads from Wallowa Lake, Oregon to Bear Paw, Montana. I figure the route should take about 2, maybe 3 weeks as the trail system is uncharted as an overland expedition.

There are going to be several OB Northwest Campouts throughout the summer as well. @OTH Overland has been putting on meetups on a regular basis, where the group discussion is focused on trip planning. Be looking for their February Meetup.
When in fall are you doing the Nez Perce Trail. I'd be interested in tagging along for part of it. Won't have enough time to do the whole thing at once this year.