Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

So, this is a dumb question. How many of you have researched 'abandoned' trail tracks and used them as a short-cut from two or three different Forest Service roads, county roads, bridge over rivers, etc? I am working on a section in central Idaho.
DG

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

We use old railbeds to get around on from time to time. I'd say it's important to get real local input, as railbed right of ways can change, fences go up, bridges get removed, vehicle access can be limited on some rail to trail type railbeds, etc. Here in BC, I belong to a couple FB groups that I can glean info from. Local history type groups, old railway and mining FB groups, local back country grioups, etc.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Most "abandoned" railways are just unused but the rail company still owns the right of way and it is private property. Use by vehicles or quads/ATVs/bikes often creates erosion issues. As long as everyone TREADS LIGHTLY access will likely remain easy. But it the railbed or adjacent slopes get chewed up and create erosion issues, locals will complain, watersheds will be compromized, government regulators will put the railway operator on notice and access will be gated.

Farmers and ranchers might have a legal sgreement to fence, gate, access, cross that railbed and your trespassing will bring on a fury like the worst Yellowstone episode. Groups like hikers, bicyclists, runners, horse riders, skiers, ATVers who get permission to access those railbeds often spend years at it and that permission comes with a whole bunch of restrictions. Generally they either allow or ban motorized travel.

Until you know the staus of that private property. you'd best not trespass.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
So, this is a dumb question. How many of you have researched 'abandoned' trail tracks and used them as a short-cut from two or three different Forest Service roads, county roads, bridge over rivers, etc? I am working on a section in central Idaho.
DG
Ex railroader here. Since you quote the word abandoned I assume that you are assuming. The RRs don't want you on their property as it is a huge liability; they often lease out segments that you might assume are abandoned but, in fact, are rarely used by smaller RRs. Railroading is a dangerous business and RR employees must do lengthy training yearly to even be able to go near tracks/equipment. As a photographer I also notice several times a year that folks get smooshed doing photo shoots on tracks. There is also a huge community of RR photographers that know the rules and will report you in a heartbeat. Bottom line is that the tracks are private property and dangerous. The only safe and legal way is to get approval, which as mentioned above, is an arduous process.

Last edited:

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Reactions: grubworm

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Drove on a railbed (tracks pulled up) in the Mojave and had to "detour" at the bridges since they was removed. Was great, found a few "dump" spots where the RXR would dump their garbage (cans and things only remaining) and I also had to revers a bit as well, Plan ahead, get all the knowledge you can and then still be ready for the unexpected.

jim

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Reactions: Ubiety and grubworm

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

Up in the Wallowa valley, there is a Company that rents 2 hr, 4 Hr trips on light weight speeder's that are human powered, to travel from Joseph to Enterprise. Down in Ely, NV the Northern Nevada Railway, sets days aside for the Home-made speeder community. The tracks I am looking at are officially abandoned, in 1963. I'm seeking who owns the right of way, as the tracks are still down. I still need to see if the bridge is intact, and to determine if it can be crossed.

Greg, my mother's Father was an Engineer, and my Father's Mother, father was also an Engineer. I remember getting ember burns as a kid. I'd love to own a Fairmont Speeder, and join that community. A group uses the Eastern Idaho tracks from Rigby to Ashton. Access is like $ 200.00 per Speeder.

With 8" of snow on the valley floor, I'm organizing and cleaning my tools out in the garage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ubiety

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Up in the Wallowa valley, there is a Company that rents 2 hr, 4 Hr trips on light weight speeder's that are human powered, to travel from Joseph to Enterprise.
that would be the Wallowa Valley Rail Riders. Carey Metlan owns the company along with the rails, don’t get caught driving on them, or fishing off of his bridges... while a very nice guy, he wants his money for owning the rails and the right of ways. He actually owns the line from Del-Monte plant in La Grande all the way to the ends of the tracks in Joseph and Troy.

Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
With 8" of snow on the valley floor, I'm organizing and cleaning my tools out the the garage.
We have about 8 inches here today but that should disappear with the incoming rain. Did a little shop cleaning today - if I could just do an hour a day in no time I would have a place to do a project. Hahaha