South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Will they send a tow truck out to FS Rd 1037 or the boondocks to recover your vehicle? They say roadside service but they don't really identify what roadside they won't go to that I can find. Anybody dealt with them from a "way off paved road" situation?

I was about 1 1/2 miles down a good gravel road down in the Pee Dee Swamp the other day. Only problem was the road was under 20" of water. It was getting late in the day and I had already been through a couple of deep spots so I turned around in a good spot because I didn't want to spend the night down in the swamp. Got back and asked my son how far was it to the other side? He didn't mention that when he sent me scouting for turkeys. "Oh, it's about 4 - 4 1/2 miles to the next high ground". Just got me thinking about who would come get one down there.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

In Canada BCAA is real clear, Road Side Assistance is on a public road. Named and numbered highways count. I'm betting AAA is just as clear, call them. Its not a game unless you want it to be.

If you are "off road" on a logging road or cart track or up a power line trail. BCAA does not cover the "off road" portion. They still cover the basic highway portion of getting to the trail, and getting you home once you return to the highway but that 25 miles of cart track will cost you dearly. I do this part time, a buddy owns a towing company, he is the AAA, BCAA, AMA guy. Expect a $500 bill for that off highway portion.

Many people balk but we start at $70/Hour for truck and driver when we leave the highway. 25 miles of power line will take 2 hours to get there, an hour to load, 3 hours back out. And while we overlanders spend thousands on lift kits and tires and..... etc, etc. That tow, deck truck is likely a box stock Freightliner. He will get to you, turn around, load you and drive out, with a box stock highway truck. Be sure to keep it all in prespective.

ps, there might be a charge for a second driver, vehicle if you are stranded with a family and a dog. While there are extended cab tow trucks which can easily carry 6 people, on an off highway revovery expect a shorter wheelbase and a cab which seats 2 plus the driver.

There is insurance beyond AAA if you have the need.

Most Firestry Roads are cinsiderd public roads and recovery on the Forestry Road would be covered. But also check the mileage limits of your policy. The basic might cover 60 or 100 miles. After that the towing company is free to charge/rape you depending on their integrity. AAA is an insurance policy with limits.

If you are an International Overlander, there are policies which will air evac you from war zones..... if one erupts while you are there. For a price you might get coverage for your vehicle too but almost every insurance policy has a cancellation disclaimer if civil unrest or war cause the loss. Many have disclaimers for natural disasters too. With insurance you only get what you pay for..... and often less.... shop, but make sure you understand the limits, AAA is fabulous but it is marketed to average needs.

Last edited:
Reactions: FishinCrzy

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

In CA they only will service PAVED ROADS. I worked at the end of pavement and they would not go up any farther than the pavement. We had other towing companies that would go up the dirt road for a pullout. Your mileage may vary.
Edit: The guys that did travel up those dirt roads had a eye patch, a hook for a arm and a black flag. Then got a lot of gold for their work!

Last edited:
Reactions: FishinCrzy

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Thanks! That's kind of what I was thinking but there is little information about the particulars just looking at their literature. Might be beneficial to have a central contact point when traveling far from home.