A10MileHusker's 2005 4Runner Build

• HTML tutorial

A10MileHusker

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

West Slope, OR
Member #

Where to begin...I will post what I have and fill in the blanks if anyone has questions.

I purchased my 2005 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition back in 2008. It's been a fun experience since

Current Set Up as of 1/30/2017

Vehicle spec’s:

2005 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition V8

Engine/Performance:
4.7L V8
Yukon 4.88 Gears Front and Rear
K&N Cold Air Intake
Flowmaster Super44 Exhaust
CVJ Axles with Off Road Red Boot
Fumoto Drain Valve

Suspension Front:
OW Radflo 2.5"700 lbs coilovers with 14" eibech springs
Toytec Top Plate Spacer
Camburg UCA
1.5" Roger Brown Body Lift

Suspension Rear:
3.5" AllPro Rear Springs with Icon Long Travel 2.0
SS extended rear brake lines
Rear diff breather extended to gas cap area
1.5" Roger Brown Body Lift
Custom Rear End Links

Armor:
Custom Rear Bumper
Perkins Performance Front Bumper
Hanna Quality Sliders
Budbuilt Front, Mid, Transfer, Rear Diff Skid Plates

Recovery:
Smittybilt XRC8 8000lb Winch with Synthetic Rope
ARB Tire Deflator
Harbor Freight Hi-Lift (soon to be replaced with Hi-Lift)
Viair Constant Duty Onboard Air System
Shovel

Wheels:
OEM Sport Edition Wheels
Plasti-Dipped Black

Tires:
Toyo Open Country MT 35x12.50/17

Interior:
sPOD source system and 6 switch contura bezel
WeatherTech digi mats
Garmin Nuvi 265W
Cobra 75 WX ST

Stereo equipment:
Pioneer AVHX5700BHS Head-Unit
Jl audio JX250/1 Amp
JL audio 8w1v3-4, 8" sub in stock enclosure

Exterior:
2006+ headlight/taillight upgrade
Mini Morimoto RetroQuik Bi-Xenon Projector Swap
BajaRack 4th Gen 4runner Long Rack
Rigid D2 Spot Front Fog Lights
Rigid SR 10" Spot in Hood Scoop
Rigid Ignite Diffused Alley Lights x4
Rigid Dually Rear Lights
DDM Spot Round Pods
CSI W4848 Rear LED Lights

Want List:
Lockers
Tube Tie Rod with Heim Joints
Budbuilt Gas Tank Skid

Last edited:

GreenMachine02

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Oakwood, Ohio
Member #

Nice looking rig! I like the look of that gen 4Runner.

But since your rig has both Radflo and Icon suspension components, is there one you like over the other?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

A10MileHusker

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

West Slope, OR
Member #

Nice build. Looks great. Love the stance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using OB Talk mobile app
Thanks @Jelorian It's taken a couple set ups for me to finally be happy with the stance. Satisfied with it...for now.
Nice build! Lots of progress over time.
Thanks @boss324 This is my first build and so there are definitely things I would do differently in hindsight but as a learning experience, I wouldn't change anything.
Nice looking rig! I like the look of that gen 4Runner.

But since your rig has both Radflo and Icon suspension components, is there one you like over the other?

Appreciate it @GreenMachine02

Thats a great question. This will be a bit long winded but I like to show my thinking with my answer. Before this set up I have also ran Toytec 3" Spacer lift. So I have really used a lot of the options out there. When I started I just wanted a mild lift and the spacer lift was just that. Enough to get some bigger rubber under me and gain some ground clearance. I was living in CO at the time and and was friends with the owner of Toytec and all of my friends were big Toytec advocates. And I still am an advocate of them. But as I progressed I wanted more.
I moved to Oregon and thats when I started looking at options to run a 35" tire. There wasn't anything that could really make this happen nor had a lot of people accomplished that. I knew to achieve this I was going to have to run a Body Lift. I'm not a fan of Body lifts but it just had to be done. Luckily, the 1.5" body lift is virtually unnoticeable. So many people are surprised when I mention that I have one. If I put one on and it was noticeable like some of those pieced together rigs you see on the road, I wouldn't have kept it on there and would have ditched the idea.
So, I was, and still am, active on Toyota120.com and there were a couple guys who began a company called Overland Warehouse (no longer in business). They got together with Radflo and built a lift that was valved specifically for the 4th Gen 4Runner and came with a 2.0" and a 2.5" Coilover. These 2.5" COs could be cranked and still be safe to give me the amount of lift I needed. Toytec at this time had their Ultimate Coilover but it wasn't a 2.5" and I feared the lower shaft would buckle like Bilsteins have had an issue of doing. So I got the 2.5" Radflo Coilovers with 14" Eibach springs and I love them.
I recently had my first issue with them after running them for 6 years. I had to recently replace the lower heim joint because of my neglect of not performing maintenance on them. It was a rough process you can read about here (doubt you want to read some more after this post haha) but here is what they looked like:

But, Radflo's customer service to get those heim joints sent out was phenomenal. They were so professional on the phone and shipped out the product fast.
So for front suspension, I love my Radflo's and don't know if I would ever change. Having that one issue in 6 years, that is a great product and I am a big advocate for Radflo.
For my rear end, I needed to get more lift than what was offered in rear springs with the Radflo kit so I could fit my 35s. The only spring out there, without going to CSS and getting some custom Deaver springs made, are All Pro 3.5" Rear Springs. Compared to my Toytec Superflex springs I had with my spacer lift, these were much better. The toytec's were great for that mild lift but these were much stronger and I could feel the difference. With that said, I'm currently looking at getting some custom springs made to help with my weight. The All Pro's seem to be a bit weak now that I have the rear bumper and especially when I have tools and other equipment loaded up. But they still perform great and I have been extremely happy with them. I'm only looking at changing because Im OCD and nit picky.
The Icon shocks I have are great. I love them. I would like to get something with a remote reservoir but these are a great option for shocks without the reservoir. I purchased these from MetalTech. They are a GREAT company to work with. Their customer service is top notch.
Icon is great. You can not go wrong with them but they are definitely pricey. So my selling points with getting these were (1)Metal Tech is local and I love supporting locally owned businesses, (2) I wanted to get an idea on another company and try out Icon and (3) these gave me some extra travel with a decent price point for Icon. I also knew my current shocks were about to kick the bucket so I had to replace them. I have been very impressed with the shocks and they have performed great so far. I really haven't tested them to their full potential yet. Here is a picture of me flexing my 3.5" All Pro Springs with my cheap ProComp shocks I still had on from my Spacer lift.

**Because I have received some flak for this picture in the past let me put a disclaimer that this was still on trail (it was at a point where two trails merged) and I was in complete control this entire process. **
So I haven't really been able to fully use my Icon's yet but the wheeling I have done and the on road experience with them has so far been fantastic.

I'm sorry for rambling in areas but really wanted to give you my true thought process. I HOPE this answers your question and if not ask and Ill try not to be so long winded. :)

Reactions: Boort and brikhaus6

GreenMachine02

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Oakwood, Ohio
Member #

Thanks @Jelorian It's taken a couple set ups for me to finally be happy with the stance. Satisfied with it...for now.

Thanks @boss324 This is my first build and so there are definitely things I would do differently in hindsight but as a learning experience, I wouldn't change anything.

Appreciate it @GreenMachine02

Thats a great question. This will be a bit long winded but I like to show my thinking with my answer. Before this set up I have also ran Toytec 3" Spacer lift. So I have really used a lot of the options out there. When I started I just wanted a mild lift and the spacer lift was just that. Enough to get some bigger rubber under me and gain some ground clearance. I was living in CO at the time and and was friends with the owner of Toytec and all of my friends were big Toytec advocates. And I still am an advocate of them. But as I progressed I wanted more.
I moved to Oregon and thats when I started looking at options to run a 35" tire. There wasn't anything that could really make this happen nor had a lot of people accomplished that. I knew to achieve this I was going to have to run a Body Lift. I'm not a fan of Body lifts but it just had to be done. Luckily, the 1.5" body lift is virtually unnoticeable. So many people are surprised when I mention that I have one. If I put one on and it was noticeable like some of those pieced together rigs you see on the road, I wouldn't have kept it on there and would have ditched the idea.
So, I was, and still am, active on Toyota120.com and there were a couple guys who began a company called Overland Warehouse (no longer in business). They got together with Radflo and built a lift that was valved specifically for the 4th Gen 4Runner and came with a 2.0" and a 2.5" Coilover. These 2.5" COs could be cranked and still be safe to give me the amount of lift I needed. Toytec at this time had their Ultimate Coilover but it wasn't a 2.5" and I feared the lower shaft would buckle like Bilsteins have had an issue of doing. So I got the 2.5" Radflo Coilovers with 14" Eibach springs and I love them.
I recently had my first issue with them after running them for 6 years. I had to recently replace the lower heim joint because of my neglect of not performing maintenance on them. It was a rough process you can read about here (doubt you want to read some more after this post haha) but here is what they looked like:

But, Radflo's customer service to get those heim joints sent out was phenomenal. They were so professional on the phone and shipped out the product fast.
So for front suspension, I love my Radflo's and don't know if I would ever change. Having that one issue in 6 years, that is a great product and I am a big advocate for Radflo.
For my rear end, I needed to get more lift than what was offered in rear springs with the Radflo kit so I could fit my 35s. The only spring out there, without going to CSS and getting some custom Deaver springs made, are All Pro 3.5" Rear Springs. Compared to my Toytec Superflex springs I had with my spacer lift, these were much better. The toytec's were great for that mild lift but these were much stronger and I could feel the difference. With that said, I'm currently looking at getting some custom springs made to help with my weight. The All Pro's seem to be a bit weak now that I have the rear bumper and especially when I have tools and other equipment loaded up. But they still perform great and I have been extremely happy with them. I'm only looking at changing because Im OCD and nit picky.
The Icon shocks I have are great. I love them. I would like to get something with a remote reservoir but these are a great option for shocks without the reservoir. I purchased these from MetalTech. They are a GREAT company to work with. Their customer service is top notch.
Icon is great. You can not go wrong with them but they are definitely pricey. So my selling points with getting these were (1)Metal Tech is local and I love supporting locally owned businesses, (2) I wanted to get an idea on another company and try out Icon and (3) these gave me some extra travel with a decent price point for Icon. I also knew my current shocks were about to kick the bucket so I had to replace them. I have been very impressed with the shocks and they have performed great so far. I really haven't tested them to their full potential yet. Here is a picture of me flexing my 3.5" All Pro Springs with my cheap ProComp shocks I still had on from my Spacer lift.

**Because I have received some flak for this picture in the past let me put a disclaimer that this was still on trail (it was at a point where two trails merged) and I was in complete control this entire process. **
So I haven't really been able to fully use my Icon's yet but the wheeling I have done and the on road experience with them has so far been fantastic.

I'm sorry for rambling in areas but really wanted to give you my true thought process. I HOPE this answers your question and if not ask and Ill try not to be so long winded. :)
That is great review! I love the long winded stuff. It is actually the "they are both great but i like icon more" without any explanation i was worried about! I have the Ironman setup and love them but i know that at some point i am going to upgrade, and you are the only person i know to have run both icon and radflo, which are in my top two.

A10MileHusker

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

West Slope, OR
Member #

That is great review! I love the long winded stuff. It is actually the "they are both great but i like icon more" without any explanation i was worried about! I have the Ironman setup and love them but i know that at some point i am going to upgrade, and you are the only person i know to have run both icon and radflo, which are in my top two.

Good haha after I was done I hovered my cursor over the "Post Reply" wondering if it was too much. Glad it was well received.

I haven't had any experience with or know anyone with experience with Ironman other than seeing some positive notes on some forums.

Feel free to reach out if you have any other questions.

Thanks

A10MileHusker

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

West Slope, OR
Member #

Today I joined the 5th Gen Family! Just purchased a 2017 TRD Off Road Premium without KDSS. I bought it from a dealership in CO so I am having it shipped out which will take a week or two to get here.

So pumped to be getting one and looking forward to the adventure! See you guys around!

Reactions: kg6zjl and rochmpr