A Word on Wiring

• HTML tutorial

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Not all wire is equal.

I loaned out my crimpers so a friend could re-do some wiring in his trailer. When he showed me his final work I suspect I broke his heart when I pointed out what type of wire he used vs. what type of wire he should have used. He used THHN (the sort you would get at the home improvement store) instead of automotive primary wire. The key difference here is in the stranding.

In this situation the wire is 6ga. THHN is stranded at that size, but nowhere near as finely stranded as primary wire. What this means is that THHN is flexible enough to be pulled through conduit, but not nearly as flexible as you want in a moving vehicle. The reason is work hardening. Lots of fine strands are able to move more readily than a few coarse strands, and able to move relative to each other. Think about wire rope (such as a winch cable). Now imagine replacing that with a single strand of steel. Bend the single strand back and forth a few dozen times and it will work harden and break, whereas that cable can flex back and forth hundreds of times (or more) without breaking.

Pay attention what type of wire you are looking at and learn its application.

Personally I like the cross-linked SXL, MXL and GXL wire types. For larger sizes welding cable is generally a good choice.

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Also not all automotive wire is created equal, lots of venders selling CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum) but you have to look deep to find that notation, might just say copper wire in the description, I always make sure I am buying 100% copper, most often marine grade if I can get it.

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

This is some good food for thought-thanks for bringing this up as I have not done any wiring but expect that will happen at some point and I would not have thought of this.

Reactions: Anak

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
This is some good food for thought-thanks for bringing this up as I have not done any wiring but expect that will happen at some point and I would not have thought of this.
This is exactly why I bring this up.

For many folks wire is just wire. The nuances are only obvious to those who are informed. I hope this helps inform some who will someday need to know the differences.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Wire type in a vehicle is more critical than people understand. One would think THHN would be ideal due to the plastic coating giving it extra protection. The protection is nice, wire type isn't. At least he didn't use solid.
Work hardening then breakage was an issue I would see in the shop when either the factory didn't secure the harness properly or the customer unhooked it and let it hang. That's with automotive grade. Anything less flexible is worse.

CCA wire really sucks. On the average, you need three times the diameter of aluminum to carry the same current as copper. I have places I buy my spools of wire from but if I need it tomorrow, I use Amazon. Not only do you need to carefully read the description but you need to read the comments. Some people will sneak in CCA without putting it in the description.

If were going to mention wire breakage, we should mention strain relief. Again this is something people don't do when they build harnesses. I've had the factory not properly strain relief harnesses in the engine compartment. The wires normally break at at the connector. Then there's over crimping. Too tight because people don't know you need "this size wire with this size terminal with this much crimp tension".
Lets not get started on improper solder joints.
Sigh

Sorry, started a rant again. I blame you guys.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
If were going to mention wire breakage, we should mention strain relief. Again this is something people don't do when they build harnesses. I've had the factory not properly strain relief harnesses in the engine compartment. The wires normally break at at the connector. Then there's over crimping. Too tight because people don't know you need "this size wire with this size terminal with this much crimp tension".
Lets not get started on improper solder joints.
Sigh

Sorry, started a rant again. I blame you guys.
Good points.

Proper use of at least grommets, if not bulkhead connectors, is another issue.

I have gotten most of my education in the process of fixing mistakes. My own and those of others.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Is any of it critical? He's likely fine. RV's often run wire worse than quality THHN.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
It is his battery cables.

Not critical for towing the trailer down the road, but essential if he wants any electrical devices to function.

I have suggested he do what he can to ensure the wires are well supported. Beyond that, just be aware of what his most likely failure mode will be at some point in the future.

I don't expect him to have any trouble in the short term. With any luck he will determine he needs to modify things again at some point in the future and that will be the time to address the wires that are the wrong type.

dboy

Rank III

Traveler III

Oregon
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Jaquith
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF7LDA
Solid wire and wire nuts, two things that should never be on a vehicle.

Its all about the vibrations.

Reactions: shansonpac