A/T, M/T or R/T tires??!! What's your thoughts and opinion?

• HTML tutorial

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

Now this isn't a what brand tire should I run post. I want to know y'alls thoughts on which tire is better. A R/T(hybrid mix), an A/T(general all terrain) or a M/T( standard mud terrain) Now there will be folks that need a specific tire due to doing certain types of off roading, (rock crawling, deep mud bogging, etc) but in general as a generic overlanding tire that would see a good bit of off road but not as severe as mentioned above. What is it about the one you say is the better tire that makes it the better tire? I'm just curious as to some of y'all who have run different ones, which did the best and/or what was better about one then the other? What was worse? There is so many different tires and types out there that is can be mind numbing when you are trying to find the perfect tire! I see more and more hybrid type tires starting to show up from companies. Some I feel like aren't really hybrid tires (just a standard A/T) but they label them as that to sale them. Let me know what you think!

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
For me A/T works best. Since I'm not in it for rock crawling and don't plan to take my 2500hd in extreme mud, I would as best as I could always choose an easier route and would hopefully just have the need for A/T tires. I truck is not dedicated to just overlanding. I use it for other things and for family road trips. So I really can't ignore that aspect of my uses, which accounts for 99.99% of that. A more seasoned overlander will probably have a different option.

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

For me this is a loaded question with no right answer since like you say everything is based on what you plan to do with the vehicle. No matter what tire you choose you will be sacrificing performance in some area, I'm yet to find that perfect tire that performs everywhere 100%. On the the farm I work for I'm in charge of purchasing tires for 50+ pickups and I get different tires based on what they are expected to do and what area I'm willing to sacrifice performance. Everyone is going to have their own opinion on this and people will tell you such and such tire is the best thing out there and they won't run anything else, but this is what I run and my justification.

Conditions our tires see are chip sealed highways, so not as smooth as interstates or city roads. Lots of gravel, County roads are usually 5/8"- around here and some of our field roads are a mix of river rock and crushed rock. Soil is sandy and heavy, we are an irrigated farm so there is mud year around in pivot roads and at times on the field edge. Not a lot of snow around here but ice and freezing fog in the winter is common.

A/T- I run A/T tires on most managers pickups and some service trucks that see mostly highway but do make it to the fields. Most a/t tires are going to last longer than an r/t or m/t when they are seeing a lot of highway miles. Also a/t's generally perform better on hard packed snow or ice. For me they usually provide enough traction for the guys to get around the fields when they are soft or mudding, but since they aren't in it all day everyday they don't need anything more aggressive. In my experience A/T tires haven't held up as well to rock chip as some of the R/T tires I've ran and this is due to the softer compound that gives you the better ride on road and traction on ice. Also when on larger gravel the A/T will have less space between the lugs for the gravel to go so it is more prone to chew up the edge of the lugs.

R/T- I run R/T tires on field managers and some service trucks, these are the guys that spend most of their time on the farm (gravel, dirt, mud) and their highway driving is generally just field to field. While these guys see a lot of off road conditions throughout the day they also see a lot of gravel and some highway so I don't run an M/T for them. M/T tires are usually the softest compound and don't last long on gravel or highway. For us the R/T tires have worked well in these types of conditions because they provide enough traction to deal with soft dirt and mud but also hold up to the gravel roads. Now they do sacrifice performance in ice (again, depending on what brand you're running) but I'm willing to give that up for how little we see that compared to mud and sand.

M/T- I only run an M/T tire on our Irrigation service trucks. These are the pickups that when a circle breaks down they have to be able to make it out to the middle of a wet muddy field to fix it. So traction is number for these guys and I don't really care about longevity. These pickups aren't daily drivers so I can deal with not getting as many miles out of the tires on them.

Now you kind of have to take all that with a grain of salt because someone could be seeing the same conditions as me but have a total different outlook on it based on their experience with different brands of tires than I use. On my personal rigs I use a little of each. Wife's '11 Acadia has goodyear a/t's because I want her to have good winter traction. My '15 Ram 3500 has Goodyear DuraTracs which I think is considered an R/T, personally I like this tire for light off road traction and of the R/T's I've ran is the best on hard packed snow and ice but I've had these on work pickups and they don't like gravel or at least not a lot of it. '18 F250 (work truck) currently has Nitto Trail Grapplers (A/T) which seem to be good so far, but I think the Toyo R/T performed better off road. We'll see what kind of Mileage I get out of the Nitto and if it's worth the trade off in traction, we might make a switch. My trail "overland" rig is a 2000 Grand Cherokee and I run the Maxxis Razr M/T which is probably more aggressive than needed for most Overlanding, but I also won't shy away from snow, deep mud or rocks... if it looks fun. The other thing with my Jeep is it's not my DD and really is only used for trips to the woods and the trails so I'm not really worried about how many mile I get out of them and I want to know I have the traction for whatever stupid crap I try.

So after that excessively long answer... It's really up to what you plan on doing and what areas of performance you're willing to trade. Hopefully that answer was as much helpful as confusing.

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

@MrWilsonWJ That is my type of answer! Thank you!!I do agree that it will vary depending upon the application and also what kind of tire someone has used in the past or what brand they favor.

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

For my application, I run hybrid/at. Now I will never do hardcore rock crawling, but I do like to get into moderate off-roading. It seems to be the best compromise since a trip for me consists of a balance of off road and asphalt.

Reactions: Lil Bear

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

For me A/T works best. Since I'm not in it for rock crawling and don't plan to take my 2500hd in extreme mud, I would as best as I could always choose an easier route and would hopefully just have the need for A/T tires. I truck is not dedicated to just overlanding. I use it for other things and for family road trips. So I really can't ignore that aspect of my uses, which accounts for 99.99% of that. A more seasoned overlander will probably have a different option.
I'm pretty much on the same page as you. My truck sees more hwy due to being my daily but not a heap. Also being a XD with the cummins it has a bit more weight then the standard 1/2 ton. I have no plans of rock crawling or deep mud but I do want to get to some of those sweet out of the way places that I may encounter those conditions in. I do like some of the R/T tires but I just aint seeing the greatness that they are supposed to be. Many reviews are good but they always seem to say that there is a better tire. Who knows.

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

For my application, I run hybrid/at. Now I will never do hardcore rock crawling, but I do like to get into moderate off-roading. It seems to be the best compromise since a trip for me consists of a balance of off road and asphalt.
Balance is the key it seems. For some anyway. Thats really what I want is a decent balance. Im willing to trade mileage for traction though, to an extent. I'd say the main thing I don't want to lose is safety due to the tires. If that makes sense.

Reactions: PonoAdventures

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Tires are one of those things that everyone has had different experiences and opinions so get what you like and what works best for YOU. Don't fall into the hype of certain tires because it's what everyone else is using, pick something that is on point for what you plan to do. I'll probably get some hate for this because they are all the rage in the forums.... but with my experience (3 2020 Ram 1500's w/Elocker) falken wild peaks are crap off road, I prefer the Toyo Open Country A/T 2. Now that's just me and just in the conditions I've put them in, with soft sand/dirt and mud the Toyo just seemed better. But at the same time the must be working good for other people or they wouldn't be so popular.

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

I agree, everyone gets the KO2s but I’ve had really good luck with my Milestar Patagonia M/Ts great off-road and super quiet on the road.
the KO2 is a great tire but they are pricey. I think the Maxxis Razr M/T performs really well in mud, snow and rocks and is really quiet for what it is. Plus the price is tough to pass up.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

as we roll into winter, if you live in the snowbelt, nothing works as well as a dedicated snow tire.

IMG_2118.jpg

not stuck here, I got out, took the picture, backed up 5' and kept going. Nothing works in deep snow like a winter tire.

DSC_0003.jpeg

but if you live where snow is not a factor, nothing wrong with ATs, MTs....

Unless hard rain is an issue.... the MTs are not the best choice.

ATs are good all around, if you never want to change tires as seasons change.

Then there are the choices for a dedicated trail rig.... purely driven by the terrain you are covering.

beyond mud, near bald MTs on pavement, canyon carving in a Wrangler, near bald MTs are like running racing slicks.

Last edited:

Sgtanderson

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Windsor, Virginia, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS, WRFF981
Service Branch
US Army Ret.
I've always gotten the best all around performance from a good AT, snow isn't really a issue in the SE except on rare occasions, and the AT performs well in mud and even at the beach on full sand. The MT tends to dig into sand if you're not careful.

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

Had Toyo Open Country A/T tires on my previous car (a 4wd 2005 Hyundai Tucson) and loved it, will stick with A/T's in the future if I buy another crossover/suv/4x4

Animll22

Rank III

Traveler I

Brandon, Florida 33510, United States
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Montgomery
Member #

I'm an AT guy. My rig is my weekend off roader, plus living in FL with the heavy downpours the AT I went with has some of the best wet road ratings. As said by others tire choice is what's best for your location and uses.

mrseth

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Loveland, Colorado, USA
First Name
Seth
Last Name
Schueller
Member #

I have run all 3 on my 2004 Toyota 4Runner. Here's a quick overview and my opinion on each. (click the tire model to travel to the manufacturers website to find out more info)

1. Radials
    1. Michelin Defender LTX: 265 60r17- these were pretty good when I was stock. The compound was nice in the rain and snow when I lived in Kansas and Colorado. They were super quiet and smooth with great tread life. They worked ok on basic dirt roads and small, smooth obstacles. I recommend these for stock vehicles driving long distances, and even towing. They aren't too expensive at all and can be found anywhere.
  2. All-Terrain
    1. BFG All Terrain (discontinued): 31 10.5x17- these were a great first "introduction to offroading" tire. Affordable, durable with good ply, good when aired up OR down for basic offroading. They wore very well, were easily balanced, and had a decent rubber compound. They did get very hard in the winter and did not offer the traction I desired. Price point is a little higher than the R/T's, but you are paying for a different level of product! Ask your dad about them, and ask your grandpa about them- I bet they ran them at one point in time!
    2. BFG All Terrain KO-2: 33 12.5x17- I added more lift so I needed more tire. I will preach SIPING IS MOST EXCELLENT on this product guys. The ply on these allow you to safely air down to utilize the siping and gain lots of traction off road. Just like its predecessor, they wear great, last a long time, but again! Not enough traction for me in the snow here with its harder rubber compound. Price point is again higher ($286/tire) but you are getting an improvement on a legendary tire.
    3. Hankook Dynapro ATMRF-10: 315 70x17- Again! More lift! These were an affordable option for me and I have been impressed on several occasions by the performance from this affordable and attainable tire. The tread pattern is mean yet quiet for an AT providing lots of grip and a quiet ride to your wheeling location. The ply on these aren't as sturdy as the BFG's but I still air them down to 15PSI to wheel comfortably with no problems. They balance OK on my steel wheels, but not perfect. Their compound is wearing well since I've owned them. Their price point is cheaper than the BFG coming in at $238/tire. They work well in the winter and give me adequate traction all year round. I recommend these guys.
  3. Mud-Terrain
    1. Cooper MTP: 315 70r17- I ran these guys between my 33" BFG ATKO2's and my Hankook Dynapro ATMRF10's. I have to say, this was a GREAT TIRE for what I do up here in the mountains of Colorado. Aired down, they grip and freaking rip man. Dirt, rocks, tree roots, water crossings, they work very well in all situations. They are pretty noisy from 15mph to 75mph, but at the time, I loved that noise. Their rubber compound wore well, but became pretty hard in the winter time not allowing me to have great purchase on snow and ice. These cost about as much as the ATKO2's at $285/tire. I still have one as my spare tire, and I would gladly go back to this!

In conclusion: for the weekend warrior (myself) who likes to run easy-moderate trails OR dirt roads, an affordable option and my recommendation would be all-terrain tires. They work great off-road and on-road, won't make the wife/husband wonder where the kids college fund went, are easily replaced at any reputable tire store across America (in sizes ranging from 31-35"), and work well in most (if not all) seasons. They look kinda neat too! Best of luck finding the right tire for you!!!!

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Winter rated fully armored MT's. Maybe a gallon of Slime in each of them. Cooper STT Pro for any real overlanding with my truck. ST Maxx for regular adventuring. I only have one spare, and it's undersized, so quality tires that resist pinch flats, tears, and rock are very important.

Snow and ice tires are useless in mud, and chunk on gravel. It's easier to find MT's that work in snow, than it is to find snow tires that work in mud and sharp pointy rocks and stumps. An MT won't win any snow course rally races. But if you slow down, they'll do fine. IME, snow, even icy snow, is remarkably grippy. Ice cold muddy slush is way worse. Ice cold clay mud, is so slick it would make for nice grease. So chains are required for that.

If you want to really do some crazy mountain snow, try Interco Super Swamper Truxus MT's

AT's are usually glorified street tires with thin sidewalls. I tear those up all the time, and won't touch them. I'll never try Bfg Atko's ever again, because they were terrible in mud.

Last edited:

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

the KO2 is a great tire but they are pricey. I think the Maxxis Razr M/T performs really well in mud, snow and rocks and is really quiet for what it is. Plus the price is tough to pass up.
That's one that I haven't actually looked at! I'll have to look them up.

Reactions: Sgtanderson

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

I've always gotten the best all around performance from a good AT, snow isn't really a issue in the SE except on rare occasions, and the AT performs well in mud and even at the beach on full sand. The MT tends to dig into sand if you're not careful.
Yeah not much chance for snow here in the SE! lol one can hope though!

Reactions: Sgtanderson