Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
At the recent Adventure Overland Show here in the U.K. it turned into a bit of a mud fest with various vehicles getting stuck.
Many were towed out where in reality a decent shovel and recovery boards would suffice.

On our travels in the Land Rover we always had a decent full size shovel strapped to the roof rack which came in useful on many an occasion. But I had been a little lazy with the 4wd van and as a long term trip is not yet on the cards I had “winged” it with a foldable shovel. The foldable shovel proved to be as much use as a chocolate fire guard at the show.

So this weekend I finally bit the bullet and fabricated some simple brackets to mount a decent shovel and secure it from light fingers in town.

I’m very happy with the end result.

As an aside I find if you make things awkward to get to then I’m less likely to use them and more likely to make do.

For that reason I mounted the shovel where I did and the same applies with the recovery ladders on the roof.

Carrying all the gear but difficult to access makes it less likely you will use it when you really should.

Attachments

Last edited:

Sequoiadendron

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast II

Arizona, United States
First Name
Dusty
Last Name
Sequoia
Member #

At the recent Adventure Overland Show here in the U.K. it turned into a bit of a mud fest with various vehicles getting stuck.
Many were towed out where in reality a decent shovel and recovery boards would suffice.

On our travels in the Land Rover we always had a decent full size shovel strapped to the roof rack which came in useful on many an occasion. But I had been a little lazy with the 4wd van and as a long term trip is not yet on the cards I had “winged” it with a foldable shovel. The foldable shovel proved to be as much use as a chocolate fire guard at the show.

So this weekend I finally bit the bullet and fabricated some simple brackets to mount a decent shovel and secure it from light fingers in town.

I’m very happy with the end result.
Great tool, great placement

Reactions: Polaris Overland

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Cool. These QuickFist rubber clamps are really good. Use them a lot, even for the fire extinguisher. However, I prefer to carry stuff like a shovel inside the rig. I have to admit that outside it looks more like expedition, but inside it does not get dirty and no damage by UV. But not everyone has the space inside and for that your solution is good. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Polaris Overland

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Cool. These QuickFist rubber clamps are really good. Use them a lot, even for the fire extinguisher. However, I prefer to carry stuff like a shovel inside the rig. I have to admit that outside it looks more like expedition, but inside it does not get dirty and no damage by UV. But not everyone has the space inside and for that your solution is good. Thanks for sharing.
Outside its easy to get too and no worries when it is very dirty which I like to keep out of the van. I have a composite handles shovel on the roof rack of the Defender and its as good today as it was 7 years ago when I added it.
A composite handle is on the cards for the future firstly because wood can rot if not protected and secondly some countries do not like you bringing in wood due to concerns over disease, Australia for example. BUt for now it is easy to hand for the times it is needed.

Reactions: El-Dracho