First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE

Hi fellow overlanders!

In the northern hemisphere summer is drawing to an end. The days are already noticeably shorter. This makes it more important that we dedicate ourselves to the lights of our vehicles. But what to consider and what is recommended?

As some of you may know, I publish articles on topics regarding offroad and overlanding from time to time. For example, I recently wrote an article on the subject of vehicle lights for a German offroad and overlanding magazine. Not all aspects are relevant for all of us, but good vehicle lights are so important. So, I thought I would briefly summarize the points that seem particularly important to me based on my experiences of over 20 years of overlanding, in summer and winter, including some long-distance trips. Maybe it helps other members of this great community here.

• Often it is the simple things that make for good light! Again, and again I see cars where a taillight does not work, a brake light has failed or a headlight is not working, you name it. A regular check of the vehicle lights should be a matter of course and is not really a big deal. I often combine a short rest with a tour around the rig. Not only failures related to the lights can be noticed, but also other defects. Regular cleaning of the lamps is also important. In Germany, every year in October there is a free light test in many workshops of the motor vehicle guild. Maybe there is something similar in other countries?
  • In some countries, replacement bulbs for vehicle lights are mandatory. In my opinion it absolutely sensible to carry replacement bulbs (if there are conventional lamps on the vehicle) and replacement fuses.
  • Only correctly adjusted headlights ensure good illumination. This is not only relevant for passing the technical control, but is from my point of view also part of proper maintenance and inspection.
    Incorrectly adjusted headlights can dazzle oncoming traffic or not properly illuminate the road. This could lead to dangerous situations when driving in the dark. In many cases you can check and do the correct setting (provisionally) by yourself with a few tricks or you can take the rig to a good workshop (with modern vehicles this may be necessary anyway). Follow the manufacturer's instructions and take a look, for example, in the manual of your rig.
  • A further check of the lights system also includes the performance and the functionality of the lights themselves. You should pay attention to the condition of the light bulbs, reflectors, cover and diffuser lenses. If the reflector is old and dull, often only a replacement will help. In off-road vehicles in particular, stone chips, sand and other environmental influences cause scratches or even blindness on the lens or cover lens. UV radiation or unsuitable cleaning agents can also contribute. A regular check of the headlight range adjustment is also advisable.
  • Replacing a damaged headlight (and also other parts of the lights system of the rig) is definitely advisable, because this is the only way to ensure good light and sufficient safety. At least then, I think, it's time to start thinking about new, better headlights (or others).
  • Incidentally, it is also interesting to make yourself familiar with the regulations for vehicle lights. However, can these differ from region to region, so the topic would surely go beyond the scope here.

These are briefly my experiences and what I think is important with regard to this topic.

What experiences have you made? Looking forward to suggestions and additions! Let´s discuss!

Safe travels,

Björn

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
We check all lights every time we go out. We always carry spare bulbs. We also avoid driving at night, at least outside cities and a few routes which we know well. We're accustomed to vehicles with no rear lights, especially motorbikes, and have noticed that kangaroos, cattle, donkeys, elephants, etc., are rarely equipped with lights...

Zarddog

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Kent Island, MD, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
James
Member #

Hey all!
Just one tie in, a little different angle to add to the importance of lighting performance and condition. I drive a mechanics truck for a living generally 1000 miles a week and in different weather and road conditions. It is law in many states that if your wipers are on your headlights must be on. I guess the point here is sometimes it's not just about your ability to see, it's about others ability to see you. Take into consideration the effect your lights or lack there of have on others. Also remember DRl's can give the driver the impression lights are on yet many times tail lamps are not. I've witnessed many near misses and two accidents (one fatal in misty fog) caused by a lack of self awareness. When spray is coming off of tires and visibility is at a minimum make yourself visible. Pay attention to when and where you pass and pull into traffic. Another condition is intense sunlight low in the horizon which became obvious today heading west at 3:30 pm. Take into consideration what others can or can't see of you even in the rearview. Also consider the silly looking reflective vest during roadside emergency you might pay attention but many do not. I know this may sound completely obvious but occasionally people don't find out till it's too late. Personally I habitually turn on my lights whenever I'm driving. Thanks for starting the thread

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
If I am just around town, my DRL is sufficient. Slow speeds, not much spray etc. If it's snowing, I put on my tail lights etc. On the highways, I ALWAYS have my lighting on. Sunny bright days included. There are lots of people who need help seeing big jeeps on the highways during the daytime so every thing helps.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
We always drive with the headlights on - even if going a short distance in town in broad daylight - it's a habit. In some countries it's a legal requirement. The only decision we make is whether to switch on the explorers or the fog lights (once again a legal requirement in some countries - and illegal to have fog lights on when it's not foggy, which has escaped the attention of many, resulting in being blinded if you're driving behind said driver at night in clear conditions).

The only downside to having headlights on in daylight is that motorcyclists (who usually switch on their lights to be seen more easily) are less easily distinguishable than when daytime running lights were not yet in use.