a Quick Overland Adventure

• HTML tutorial

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

Went for a quick Overland adventure this past weekend. Found a sweet camping spot overlooking the Pacific Ocean. Then on the way home, I drove threw the Old Coast Rd and ended up at the Bixby bridge.

Attachments

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

Looks like a great place to spend some time hiking.
@ShawnR , This place was The Ventana Wilderness of Los Padres National Forest, just south of Big Sur. This area has great hiking trail and theirs some natural hot springs you can hike to as well.

Bob

Rank III

Advocate II

Very nice, I haven't been in that area in such a long time I forgot how beautiful it is. You took some nice pictures, thanks for sharing them.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mike G

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
@ShawnR , This place was The Ventana Wilderness of Los Padres National Forest, just south of Big Sur. This area has great hiking trail and theirs some natural hot springs you can hike to as well.
It's a beautiful area. My father used to live in Carmel. I'd go out to visit on occasion. One of my favorite locations is Point Lobos. Spent a lot of time hiking that area and photographing. And of course, heading to the aquarium in Monterey.

Reactions: Mike G

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

How much $$$ does it take to get the location of that campsite from ya?
@maktruk Sorry I didn't post a route. I was using a free Android GPS map App and it wasn't working so well. The Campsite is called Prewitt Ridge Campsite. The route from HWY 1 is the same route that Michael took on his Big Sur trip. You can find his post at http://www.overlandbound.com/overland-trip-big-sur-ca-overland-bound/
The route from HWY 1 to the camp site is about 45 minutes and the first half of the road is paved and the other half is dirt roads which is no problem since I seen a Prius , Corolla's and a 80's Volkswagen bus up there. The road is narrow at some places and the views are "AWESOME" . If you go, don't go on a holiday weekend like I did. The place got crowded and their was a large group in the area rocking out till 2am.

Google site
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=prewitt+ridge+campground

Last edited:
Reactions: maktruk

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

@maktruk Sorry I didn't post a route. I was using a free Android GPS map App and it wasn't working so well. The Campsite is called Prewitt Ridge Campsite. The route from HWY 1 is the same route that Michael took on his Big Sur trip. You can find his post at http://www.overlandbound.com/overland-trip-big-sur-ca-overland-bound/
The route from HWY 1 to the camp site is about 45 minutes and the first half of the road is paved and the other have is dirt roads which is no problem since I seen a Prius , Corolla's and a 80's Volkswagen bus up there. The road is narrow at some places and the views are "AWESOME" . If you go, don't go on a holiday weekend like I did. The place got crowded and their was a large group in the area rocking out till 2am.

Google site
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=prewitt+ridge+campground
Thanks! Sadly, after reading some of the reviews it seems many people don't know how to dig a hole. Stories of TP littering the ground and actual human waste littering the sites. Did you find this to be the case??

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

I didn't find that to be true. I think a lot of locals post negative reviews to keep people from going their. One of my camper neighbors was a local and she said the place is normally quite and hardly anybody goes up there. But if its a holiday weekend, then the place gets packed. Did I mention that its a "free" campsite. You can check out other camp sites in the area as well, like Alms Campground. There was also a lot of good spots with great views that are not on Google maps. I'm planning on another trip to check out Alms Campground next month and I will write up a better report.