A little more adventure than we bargained for...

• HTML tutorial

PilotPete

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Puyallup, WA USA
Member #

This last weekend we got a little more adventure that we expected. I am posting this to remind all of you who adventure like we do to keep a few things in mind. We were exploring a new FS road. As we approached a corner, a Ford Raptor came the other direction. He was drifting around the corner at somewhere around 40mph. We tried to swerve off the road but at the speed he was going and the blind corner, there was no way to get out of the way fast enough, this is the result.

The reason for this post is to remind everyone of a few important things when going out to adventure.

1. ALWAYS let someone know where you're going to be. This was supposed to be a one-hour Adventure, we were 16 miles from pavement when this occurred. At least 10 miles from cell phone service. Let someone know where you are and let them know when you'll be checking in to let them know you're safe.

2. ALWAYS pack first aid/emergency gear. It was over 3 hours before First Responders arrived. Luckily, the most serious injury was a bump on the head and a black eye. First aid gear is a must. Fire Extinguisher, water and protein abrs are all good to have too.

3. ALWAYS throw in a couple extra hoodies or coats. This was supposed to be a one-hour Adventure on a sunny afternoon. We ended up being up there for over 6 hours and it got very cold as soon as the sun went down.

4. I would also add to make sure you use quality gear. Don't cheap out to save a couple bucks. I had the rock sliders installed the day before and they literally saved me. They deflected the Raptor to the rear door instead of my door. If they have been cheap running boards, my door would have taken the full impact. Spend the money, do it right. Huge shout out to Stainless Brain Fabrication for the amazing work!

The bottom line is always be prepared for the unknown. You might be a safe driver, you might be a great navigator, you might be good at vehicle recovery but there are always things out of your control.

Attachments

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Again, so glad you all are OK, this needs to be shared with as many organizations as possible. This is a theme played out in every area of the country. Had some close mishaps like this down here in So Cal forests also.

[DO]Ron

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Geertruidenberg, the Netherlands
First Name
Ron
Last Name
vAch
Member #

Glad you are ok,

But I think there is indeed one point missing. Go slow, think about others and don't speed your way through offroad tracks like a complete lunatic :/

I personally always pack a first aid kit, water and blankets when going out for a while. So got those things covered. Cell phone range isn't a problem here.

Gregory Youngblood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Alamogordo, NM
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Youngblood
Member #

This last weekend we got a little more adventure that we expected. I am posting this to remind all of you who adventure like we do to keep a few things in mind. We were exploring a new FS road. As we approached a corner, a Ford Raptor came the other direction. He was drifting around the corner at somewhere around 40mph. We tried to swerve off the road but at the speed he was going and the blind corner, there was no way to get out of the way fast enough, this is the result.

The reason for this post is to remind everyone of a few important things when going out to adventure.

1. ALWAYS let someone know where you're going to be. This was supposed to be a one-hour Adventure, we were 16 miles from pavement when this occurred. At least 10 miles from cell phone service. Let someone know where you are and let them know when you'll be checking in to let them know you're safe.

2. ALWAYS pack first aid/emergency gear. It was over 3 hours before First Responders arrived. Luckily, the most serious injury was a bump on the head and a black eye. First aid gear is a must. Fire Extinguisher, water and protein abrs are all good to have too.

3. ALWAYS throw in a couple extra hoodies or coats. This was supposed to be a one-hour Adventure on a sunny afternoon. We ended up being up there for over 6 hours and it got very cold as soon as the sun went down.

4. I would also add to make sure you use quality gear. Don't cheap out to save a couple bucks. I had the rock sliders installed the day before and they literally saved me. They deflected the Raptor to the rear door instead of my door. If they have been cheap running boards, my door would have taken the full impact. Spend the money, do it right. Huge shout out to Stainless Brain Fabrication for the amazing work!

The bottom line is always be prepared for the unknown. You might be a safe driver, you might be a great navigator, you might be good at vehicle recovery but there are always things out of your control.
Wow. Sorry that happened to you, glad everyone is OK. That other driver was being negligent and careless. Sure the Raptor can do all that and be a lot of fun in its own right, but people like that are the ones remembered and point at as justification to close off access to places. Glad you're OK. And very good advice all the way around.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: dziner

roaminglost

Rank VI

Influencer I

Bend, OR, USA
First Name
Roaming
Last Name
Lost
Member #

Wow what a bummer, glad everyones ok.
But sounds like the Raptor is at fault on this one. :/

PilotPete

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Puyallup, WA USA
Member #

Wow, hope everyone is recovering well.
Driving fast around blind corners without knowing what's ahead is reckless in my opinion, even if you think you are the only one on the road.
The sad thing is that the road was insanely busy that day on out way up we passed at least 25-30 cars. He actually almost hit a guy on a quad with his 9 year old daughter about a half mile from where he hit us.

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

As I am always filled with horrific images of putting all this time and money into my rig and developing a relationship with it over time, everyone being ok and living another day is the best outcome. Rigs can be replaced. People can't. You can't be too careful these days. We live in a world that is totally consumed with the here and now without caring about the future. This is the ME generation. I hope that changes with time. We need to be more considerate of others. I wish the driver of the other vehicle was able to read some of the posts here about how people felt.

JeffG98034

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Kirkland, Washington
Member #

WOW!!! Thats Gnarly!!!

Gordonmedia

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Buford,GA
First Name
Ronnie
Last Name
Gordon
Member #

First glad everyone is ok! Second I have found this all to common lately especially on forestry trails remember tread lightly and responsibly no reason to go that fast on trails this isn't BAJA. hopefully your rig is savable

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

This is a good reminder that there are lots of people with more money than sense. You have to keep your head on a swivel because physics doesn't care about fault or intent. This also applies to where you set up camp.

I've almost been hit before on the beach in the day time which is bad because there are no blind corners. Last year a couple that was tent camping on the beach also got run over. My tent is in the truck bed but I'll still look for anything to slow down or push traffic away like debris, trees, etc. and maintain lights or reflectors at night.

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Glad that everyone is ok. I hope the driver of the Raptor as well.
I hope he learned something from this all.

Good you had everything in the correct order.

Reactions: soonersfan

58-fc170

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Glad no one was seriously hurt.

Had that been me the Raptor driver probably would have been pulled from his wanna be baja rig and give a few extra bumps and bruises just to make sure he doesn't forget that he was endangering others lives with his stupidity. :rage: