louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I've been down here in the swamps right at 30 yrs now and have picked up on some of the local cooking. One thing that I like are the crawfish boils where they boil a giant pot of water and seasonings and add the crawfish (which are bait in every other state) and they throw in corn, potatoes, sausage etc. Well, I really liked the sausage cooked that way so I got to where I just buy some sausage (any kind...Hillshire Farms, etc) and then boil it for an hour with some crab boil liquid added to the water. Let it boil and cut the heat off and let it soak in the pot until cool, drain and then stick in a tupperwear container and put in the fridge. I grab a few pieces right out of the container to snack on or slice into strips and sear and make a sandwich out of it, etc. I really like doing this for camping trips. I'll boil 3 pounds and then stick it in the ice chest and use on the trip. Cut up a few pieces and add with potato and egg or add some peppers and onion and egg and make a breakfast burrito. Slice a few pieces and make a sandwich with tomato and avacado or as my oldest son does, slice a few pieces and add to a can of Campbells Chunky Corn Chowder...that crab boil flavor with the corn chowder is pretty damn good. After a hike, a couple pieces of the crab boil sausage on a Ritz cracker with a piece of cheddar is a great snack. I'm pretty sure the Zatarains crab boil is available in many states and any polish sausage will work, so go ahead and give it a try.

IMG_0223.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Wtf1 and velo47