Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

While I was at the mall today I spottet a Land Rover Defender G4 Edition parked outside today.

My question is this, what makes a LR Defender G4 Edition so special?

I really liked it, it looked lightly modified, just the way I would set it up with All Terrain tires, a raised airintake, fenderflares and what looked like a massive roofrack.

I also found a G wagon there and that got me thinking.. LR Defender vs Mercedes G Wagon, which would be the better choice regarding aftermarket parts/working on it myself/ridecomfort and so on.

Thanks for any answers.

Comanche

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Goodyear, Arizona
Member #

In Norway you would have to check your after market parts makers and dealer service availability there. Both would have a lot of stuff available if you don't mind paying to have it shipped from South Africa.

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

I also have to decide what 4x4 I want to buy in a few years, there are a few I'm looking at.

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

I really want a 4x4!
I'm getting over the whole lowered lifestyle thing.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

There is also a Toyota 70-series 6x6, Andrew St. Pierre White is getting one as a dual-cab flatbed for his next build. He got to travel through Oman in a demo and was so impressed he sold his already amazing 70-series Troopy to get the 6x6.

Reactions: Robert Rosendahl

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

Sweet rig, I've see those episodes (and the ones where he built the Troopy)

E

expeditionnorth

Sadly, I dont get the status symbol thing of LR's
there are far better rigs out there IMHO

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

You've got a god point there, I'm not getting a LR rig, I'm aiming for something japanese as my first 4x4 and the plan is to find and buy one in 2017.

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Joey,

It is quiet simple. The first question is what are you planning? Big trips, weekend trips. crawling, polar trips. All kind of possibilities.
How extreme do you like to go? Will it be on your own? And how often.
An example is a thing I had. I wanted a difflock ( a lot of people think this is needed all the time) but, after really good thinking, I only found one, just one situation in my time as Overlander/Greenlaner were I really need that difflock. And I visit that spot around once a year. If I manage that.
So, paying 1600 euro's for one situation is a lot of money. And, with some sandladders and a bridge build the problem will be solved as well.
So, no difflock bought.

Good, with that kind of thinking in mind, what do you like. Are you going for a brand? LR, Toyota, Jeep or such. Or are you going for cheap and lots of doing yourself?
There are good 4x4's out there who will do as good as the big brands, or slightly less. But are way less expensive.
Downfall is, there is less after market stuff for them. So you have to build more yourself. Which can be fun.
Another question is, when do you want to go out? Save money for a complete Rig or buy a standard one, go out and find your way during your travel.
Then what i think is, what is good for others, is not Always good for you. Taste and personal preferences as non discutable.

This is my Rig, I like it, I almost build it and it was in the beginning cheap. haha.

Greetings from Robert

Reactions: UpNoverRover

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

@Robert OB 33/48
To answer your questions about my future 4x4.

What am I planning: Generally just a more comfy and practical car that I can use on roadtrips without having to worry about hitting stuff underneath he car (I've broken the sump and oilpump once already on my convertible).

How extreme do I like to go? Not that extreme at first, I don't really have much experience driing 4x4's.

Will it be on my own? Yes it will be, I really like driving on my own most of the time.

And how often. As often as I can afford it.

Are I going for a brand? Yes I am, I'm lookin into a late 90's Jeep Grand Cherokee or a Nissan Terrano II as those are the only 2 4x4's I have any experience driving (although from what I have seen on youtube, the Jeep Cherokee is a pretty capable rig in near stock form).

When do I want to go out? Whenever I have the money for an extended roadtrip on roads less travelled.

I want to explore more of my country so I would add things like more diesel capability, tinted windows for privacy, maybe some food and gear storage and maybe a bed inside the vehicle or a RTT.

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

LOL!
I also have to make up my mind, should I save up and buy a 4x4 in 2017 or should I save up and visit the US?
I can only afford to do one of those things.

Last edited: