A Comprehensive Beginner's Guide to Overland Route-making/Navigation

• HTML tutorial

No Known Boundaries

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Western US
Member #

We've previously posted videos on this topic before on our channel. However, given that it's a new year and so much of that information is outdated, it was time for a new streamlined guide. This video should help a complete novice with no experience learn how to start scouting, routing, and plotting in real-time.

I utilize Gaia GPS Premium in this video, however the annual subscription cost is less than lunch and two decent IPAs at a local joint. It's something that is absolutely essential for what the NKB gang does, and I think it's nearly essential gear for anyone seriously planning on exploring the backcountry. Or at least an equivalent application like Hema or CalTopo. Other than that, the rest of the resources that this video covers are free.

Lemme know what questions you have, and what else you'd like to see covered in any future expansions on intermediate or continued navigation skills. Cheers!

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

Pretty good intro video! Maybe in the description you should add markers if people want to cut in to a certain topic and they can go straight there.

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Well,........true beginner with GAIA. My first thoughts on the video; your curser is too hard to see and follow where it so quickly moves to. Show me how to upload, gpx-kml(?) files to GAIA.

I've been a Garmin user since 2003 for mountainbiking and 4x4 adventures. Gaia looks like ARCGIS to some extent.

My main reason for researching Gaia is that when doing route planning at home on my pc with GE some dirt roads visible in satellite images will not allow a route to be laid over them. Is this the same with GAIA?
I find Map My Ride works well for route planning, MapMyRide

Thanks, gene

No Known Boundaries

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Western US
Member #

Well,........true beginner with GAIA. My first thoughts on the video; your curser is too hard to see and follow where it so quickly moves to. Show me how to upload, gpx-kml(?) files to GAIA.

I've been a Garmin user since 2003 for mountainbiking and 4x4 adventures. Gaia looks like ARCGIS to some extent.

My main reason for researching Gaia is that when doing route planning at home on my pc with GE some dirt roads visible in satellite images will not allow a route to be laid over them. Is this the same with GAIA?
I find Map My Ride works well for route planning, MapMyRide

Thanks, gene
To your first question, if you click on your profile name, there is a drop down menu that has an "upload" option. Add your files there, and it will then take you to a summary page. You can go back to the map from there.

To the second, if a trail has been pulled from the NFS or BLM's registry, updated geodata will kill its recognition by the software. Same for pirate trails made by people, or forgotten mine trails/game trails/etc.