OB Approved A Basic Overlanders Guide To Mobile Radio Equipment (U.S. Version)

• HTML tutorial

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Member #

@Gunnermoose Yes, I saw that there were monthly plans, but I couldn't see if this was something you could turn on and off. Similar to the AT&T plan for cellular on my iPad; I can only turn it on for when I want, but it costs more per month, and there's a charge associated with each activation. I couldn't tell if InReach was similar. Thanks!

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Freedom Plans

http://www.inreachdelorme.com/freedom/

Our freedom plans allow you to pay for satellite airtime service when you need it on a rolling monthly basis. You can change plans, up or down, or suspend your service at no charge.

• Ideal for seasonal or occasional use.
  • Move up or down a plan for free.
  • Suspend your service when you don’t need it.
  • Keep all your account data, tracks and details when suspended.
  • Minimum 30-day commitment.
  • Annual freedom program fee of $24.95.

You have to remember to cancel the plan before the next billing month or it will automatically be renewed. FYI

Simon Wolfe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sunnyvale, CA
First Name
Simon
Last Name
Wolfe
Member #

Nice write up. Has anyone thought about using the MURS radios? They are VHF and can be up to 2 watts. I have used then for various things that usually involve non-hams.

Simon Wolfe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sunnyvale, CA
First Name
Simon
Last Name
Wolfe
Member #

Nice write up. Has anyone thought about using the MURS radios? They are VHF and can be up to 2 watts. I have used then for various things that usually involve non-hams.

Reactions: Zargon

Overlandllama

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Orion
Last Name
Walther
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0CKJ
Have been considering a Dakota M538-HT. Really good ratings and reasonably priced. Looking at MURS with Sat phone, cell, and HAM for Newfoundland and Alaska trips. Any feedback from fellow members would be cool. Walt

TOMB

Local Expert Central Valley CA

Explorer I

Clovis Ca
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Butler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6STB
I used a few different sat phones while in Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria. I know they are the best bet, but I expected more. Even with wide open sky it was hit or miss, chopped signal, dropped calls. These were using Iridium satellites. Doesn't InReach use the same system? In the continental US I carry an ACR plb (personal locator beacon) just in
case. I would like to get an InReach for keeping in contact, but not sure after my experience with the iridium system. Are there any current users of InReach who can share their thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Last edited:

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
Are there any designated or commonly used 2m/70cm/CB frequencies/channels that OB uses on group runs? I think it would be nice to have a go-to frequency when meeting with a group.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Are there any designated or commonly used 2m/70cm/CB frequencies/channels that OB uses on group runs? I think it would be nice to have a go-to frequency when meeting with a group.
Most OB trips select a channel or channels prior to the trip. In the Sierra Foothills we use the local repeater and on the trail we use 146.46

Dayle Fields

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Poland, Indiana
Member #

I see the question pop up on forums every now and then.

I have my Ham Radio License now......now what?

or

I bought this radio. Do I need a license to use it?

or

I bought these little FRS/GMRS radios and I'm on the same channel as my buddies but they can't hear me!

Lets start with the Family Radio System / General Mobile Radio Service aka FRS/GMRS radios.
  • Both types are available through common chain stores.
  • Both types are of channelized frequency selection (HEY, WE'LL BE ON CHANNEL 7).
  • Both types have a secondary privacy channel ability, in order for the user to only hear traffic on their selected channel from users who are also using the same secondary privacy channel (HEY, WE'LL BE ON CHANNEL 7 and PRIVACY CHANNEL 3).
  • FRS/GMRS operate in the FM mode, which offers the best audio quality.
  • FRS operates in the UHF (Ultra High Frequency) range at no more than 500 milliwatts.
  • GMRS operates in the UHF range at no more than 50 watts. Generally you will find hand held units limited to 5 watts due to FCC radio frequency exposure limits.
  • Dedicated FRS and GMRS units have some channel overlap.
  • Hybrid FRS/GMRS units will transmit on all FRS and GMRS channels.
  • FRS does not require the use of an FCC license.
  • GMRS requires the use of an FCC (no test) license. Sidenote: I have yet to meet someone with this license or hear of the FCC enforcing GMRS licensing requirements. I'm not condoning the unlicensed use, just an FYI.
  • Most all FRS/GMRS handhelds use common disposable batteries and/or rechargeable battery packs.
  • Mobile/Desktop sized GMRS units are slowly entering the market. These units can operate at a higher power setting due to the antenna not being mounted on the unit and have better heat dissipation facilities. Also, these units will generally require an external 12 volt DC power source (vehicle), which also allows them to run at higher power.
  • No formal operating procedure. Key down and talk.
  • FRS/GMRS will easily accommodate most group outing requirements.
  • FRS/GMRS radios can be purchased with NOAA weather channel reception.
Pro's
  • Easy to acquire
  • Little to no licensing
  • Easy to operate
  • No formal operating procedures
Cons
  • Shortest range due to FM (versus other modes)
  • Shortest range due to UHF (versus other frequencies)
  • Shortest range due to power output

On to the next medium, Civilian Band Radio (A.M. version only)
  • Channelized frequency selection (HEY, WE'LL BE ON CHANNEL 7).
  • Better range than FRS/GMRS due to operating in the HF (High Frequency) range.
  • Better range capabilities than FRS/GMRS because it operates in AM mode, which requires lower power to transmit due to lower bandwidth use.
  • CB in AM mode is limited to 4 watts of power output.
  • CB does not require the use of an FCC license for non business use.
  • CB radios are built in a handheld format, but these suffer from reduced performance due to the handhelds smaller sized antenna transmitting on the 11 meter HF band.
  • CB will easily accommodate most group outing requirements.
  • CB radios can be purchased with NOAA weather channel reception.
  • CB is monitored by some law enforcement / emergency services agencies on a designated emergency use channel (9).
  • CB has a general calling channel (11) (HEY DOES ANYONE WANT TO TALK? YEA? LETS SWITCH UP TO CHANNEL 20).
  • CB has a road conditions/info channel (19).
  • No formal operating procedure. Key down and talk.
Pro's
  • Easy to acquire
  • No licensing
  • Have squelch and attenuation controls for receiver tuning
  • Easy to operate
  • No formal operating procedures, other than respecting channel designations
  • Good range for social use
Cons
  • Waning use due the ease and popularity of FRS/GMRS
  • Larger antenna requirements than FRS/GMRS. Think damaged antennas due to drive thru's, trees, etc..
  • No privacy channel option. You're going to hear everyone on your channel within reception range, even if they can't hear you. This is where receiver controls come in.
  • HF performance characteristics. You may not be able to reach your friends ten miles away due to atmospheric skip, but you may get the old man on the mountain in the next state.
  • Illegal amplifier use may cause interference from long distances.

Amateur Radio Service aka Ham Radio
  • Uses direct frequency input for receiver/transmitter tuning. No channelization.
  • Individual units have memory banks (many units have alphanumeric) where you can save your "favorites".
  • Has a privacy side tone ability, like the FRS/GMRS radios, in a non channelized format. (It's actually the same system, only not using the channel assignments and manually entering the tone frequency)
  • Multiple modes of operation. The most commonly used mode for mobile is FM.
  • Handheld units are offered by many manufactures and generally put out 5 watts at max power due to exposure limits. These units can be powered by rechargeable battery packs and/or disposable batteries.
  • Around 50 watts is a normal capability for many mobile rigs. More advanced rigs may put out up to 100 watts.
  • A nationwide repeater network is available for wide range communication. A repeater is a stationary automated amateur radio station that takes your radio broadcast and rebroadcasts it for wider ranging communication. The majority of repeaters are for free public use supported by a local amateur radio club. Very useful for the lower power hand held units.
  • You must be licensed by the FCC to transmit on amateur radio frequencies.
  • There are different tiers of licensing. The initial license is not hard to get and is obtainable through your local amateur radio club. These clubs are very willing to help newcomers.
  • There are formal but uncomplicated operating procedures.
  • The most popular mode/band for off roading amateur radio is FM mode on the 2 meter and 70 cm bands.
  • Most handheld and mobile FM rigs will operate on both 2m & 70cm bands.
Pro's
  • Most capable form discussed here.
  • Repeaters that can take your signal and boost it out over a wider range.

Cons
  • Equipment only available online or in large metro areas.
  • Requires a license to use.

Thanks for such a good break down on radio types looks HAM license is on the short list.

Reactions: Aoran Zhang

Wilbah

Rank I

Contributor III

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Will
Last Name
M
I have a stupid question....in the sticky above I got the impression that a baofong (sp?) Ham radio can be programmed to broadcast on GMRS and FRS frequencies, is that accurate? If so how does the output wattage differ from when broadcasting on ham frequencies? If it does. I've used the handheld FRS type walkie talkies for years but the output and terrain really limit their distance (at least in wooded, hilly New England). Would a ham, broadcasting on a FRS/GMRS frequency provide better distance? Or does the unit step down the output automatically for those frequencies? (Told ya it was a stupid question! Ha).

Also (similarly) can a similar Ham unit broadcast on MURS? Many of the logging companies in Maine use MURS and it would be good to monitor their traffic to avoid those "coming around a corner to be met with a double trailer KW filled with logs and hauling a**" moments. ;)

Thanks in advance for helping me navigate this world I am so ignorant about!

vdeal

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

I used a few different sat phones while in Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria. I know they are the best bet, but I expected more. Even with wide open sky it was hit or miss, chopped signal, dropped calls. These were using Iridium satellites. Doesn't InReach use the same system? In the continental US I carry an ACR plb (personal locator beacon) just in
case. I would like to get an InReach for keeping in contact, but not sure after my experience with the iridium system. Are there any current users of InReach who can share their thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
I have used an InReach for a few years now in the mountains of WV where there is no cell service (National Radio Quiet Zone) and it has been flawless.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

I have a stupid question....in the sticky above I got the impression that a baofong (sp?) Ham radio can be programmed to broadcast on GMRS and FRS frequencies, is that accurate? If so how does the output wattage differ from when broadcasting on ham frequencies? If it does. I've used the handheld FRS type walkie talkies for years but the output and terrain really limit their distance (at least in wooded, hilly New England). Would a ham, broadcasting on a FRS/GMRS frequency provide better distance? Or does the unit step down the output automatically for those frequencies? (Told ya it was a stupid question! Ha).

Also (similarly) can a similar Ham unit broadcast on MURS? Many of the logging companies in Maine use MURS and it would be good to monitor their traffic to avoid those "coming around a corner to be met with a double trailer KW filled with logs and hauling a**" moments. ;)

Thanks in advance for helping me navigate this world I am so ignorant about!
CAN the Baofeng be programmed to work on FRS/GMRS/MURS? Yes... is it LEGAL? NO.
The wattage differs depending on how you program it. So you would not only need to know what wattage is allowed on what frequency you would also need to know the bandwidth in order to properly program your radio.
A handheld ham radio operating on FRS/GMRS frequencies should work just the same as a FRS or GMRS radio if you programmed your radio correctly.

The original post is also a bit outdated. FRS is now 2 watts or less. FRS and GMRS now share all channels except the repeater inputs. And there are no longer dual FRS/GMRS radios, they are either one or the other.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wilbah

Wilbah

Rank I

Contributor III

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Will
Last Name
M
CAN the Baofeng be programmed to work on FRS/GMRS/MURS? Yes... is it LEGAL? NO.
The wattage differs depending on how you program it. So you would not only need to know what wattage is allowed on what frequency you would also need to know the bandwidth in order to properly program your radio.
A handheld ham radio operating on FRS/GMRS frequencies should work just the same as a FRS or GMRS radio if you programmed your radio correctly.

The original post is also a bit outdated. FRS is now 2 watts or less. FRS and GMRS now share all channels except the repeater inputs. And there are no longer dual FRS/GMRS radios, they are either one or the other.
Okay that is helpful- so if I have this right, while a ham CAN be programmed to operate on the other frequencies (FRS/GMRS/MURS), the output differential would make it illegal to do so. Is that correct?

Thanks for your patience and explanation. I have only known CB's and handheld FRS radios so I dont know what I dont know. ;)

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Okay that is helpful- so if I have this right, while a ham CAN be programmed to operate on the other frequencies (FRS/GMRS/MURS), the output differential would make it illegal to do so. Is that correct?

Thanks for your patience and explanation. I have only known CB's and handheld FRS radios so I dont know what I dont know. ;)
You can program it to have the same output, in fact you should if you are going to use a ham radio on those other radio services. Except the .5 watt channels on FRS/GMRS, few if any of the cheap handheld radios go down below 1 watt.
What makes it illegal is the FCC has guidelines that radios must pass in order to be certified to operate on those radio services, ham radios are not certified.

Reactions: Bob 1934

Wilbah

Rank I

Contributor III

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Will
Last Name
M
You can program it to have the same output, in fact you should if you are going to use a ham radio on those other radio services. Except the .5 watt channels on FRS/GMRS, few if any of the cheap handheld radios go down below 1 watt.
What makes it illegal is the FCC has guidelines that radios must pass in order to be certified to operate on those radio services, ham radios are not certified.
Yes I read some info on that today in an Amazon Q&A. The person who answered the same question someone had posed stated as you have, that the FCC only licenses certain equipment for FRS/GMRS use so while the ham is "technically" capable, even lowering the output to the required maximum wattage, it would be a FCC violation as the equipment itself had not been certified for use in that way. Thanks for that.

I have seen discussion of dual band and I get having that flexibility may be nice. But then I saw the Kenwood TM-281A which is a single band, but has been ruggedized to meet MIL-STD 810G for vibration etc.

That made sense to me for a unit to have in an off-road vehicle (im not a rock crawler but logging roads, forest roads etc with washboard- i could see having tgat extra protection being valuable). But it doesnt appear that anyone makes a dual band that meets that MIL-STD.

Which would be more valuable do you think (and anyone please chime in, I'm learning alot on this)- the MIL-STD ruggedized aspect or the dual band capability?

Thanks for the responses I really appreciate it!

Reactions: Bob 1934