Sacramento, CA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Jillson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6GWJ
I'm beginning the build process of my 99 Tahoe...

I've made sure the engine and drive train are in good condition and dependable. This will also be a daily driver. At this time, I'm planning on leaving her as stock as possible i.e. no lift.

The next project will be tires, shocks and suspension. Any good sources or suggestions? I'm having some difficulty finding much for the Tahoe.

Reactions: David J Thomas

David J Thomas

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fox Lake, Dodge County, Wisconsin, United States
First Name
David
Last Name
Thomas
Member #

I'm beginning the build process of my 99 Tahoe...

I've made sure the engine and drive train are in good condition and dependable. This will also be a daily driver. At this time, I'm planning on leaving her as stock as possible i.e. no lift.

The next project will be tires, shocks and suspension. Any good sources or suggestions? I'm having some difficulty finding much for the Tahoe.
I've got a Hoe as well...any update on your ride?

Jillsogw

Rank V

Explorer I

Sacramento, CA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Jillson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6GWJ
Its time to update this project...

New BFG T/A KO2 - really like these tires so far
Added Electrical distribution under the rear seat. Easier wiring for accessories.
USB charger installed on the center console. Gives some other options for charging phones etc.
Yaesu FM-400XDR. Put the antenna on the roof
Covered the front seats - need some creature comforts for the wife...I have to admit, they are nice.

Jillsogw

Rank V

Explorer I

Sacramento, CA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Jillson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6GWJ
My Yaesu FTM-400 and usb.

The plan is to use the Ram mount HD pole attached to the seat bolt and mount the radio and iPad there. They will be closer to control and keep the dash/windshield as clean as reasonable.
It would also be easier to adjust between passenger and driver. Basically rotate one mount.

....it’s a work in progress. But that is the fun

Attachments

Jillsogw

Rank V

Explorer I

Sacramento, CA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Jillson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6GWJ
She is great. She is getting more comfortable driving! Soon I’ll be the copilot

Jillsogw

Rank V

Explorer I

Sacramento, CA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Jillson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6GWJ
The next projects are sliders and a lift.

I’m looking at the Rough Country 2-3” with rear spring kit. I’d be interested in any feedback from those who have the lift. Even better is anyone who has installed this lift.

Jillsogw

Rank V

Explorer I

Sacramento, CA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Jillson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6GWJ
Actually, I just had the RC 4" lift installed. Fits great. Doesn't look rednecky. I've got 35" tires, so the 3" I had wasn't sufficient.
Did you install it yourself or have it done? What's your comparison to the 3" and a stock ride?

David J Thomas

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
David
Last Name
Thomas
Member #

Did you install it yourself or have it done? What's your comparison to the 3" and a stock ride?
I had a local shop do the install. I can tell the ride height difference, but it's not a super big difference visibly. When I bought the truck, it had a 3" on it already, but I didn't know anything about it. When it was installed, what brand or anything. It did have Bilstein shocks, but they were shot. The ride quality is notably improved. That extra inch allows full motion for my big tires, no rubbing when flexed. Also brought in the front end about an inch, back to stock. All and all, worked great for my build.

David J Thomas

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
David
Last Name
Thomas
Member #

I had a local shop do the install. I can tell the ride height difference, but it's not a super big difference visibly. When I bought the truck, it had a 3" on it already, but I didn't know anything about it. When it was installed, what brand or anything. It did have Bilstein shocks, but they were shot. The ride quality is notably improved. That extra inch allows full motion for my big tires, no rubbing when flexed. Also brought in the front end about an inch, back to stock. All and all, worked great for my build.
My lovely beast yesterday, after my rear brakes decided to stick on the freeway. 20190729_155851.jpeg