99 Isuzu Trooper on 35s? Will they fit?

• HTML tutorial

Kirill Rudnev

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone fit 35s on a second gen Trooper. Are they possible to fit, if yes then what are the steps? Is it worth it or stick with the 33s? Thank you

Justin Forrest

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shoreline, Wa
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Forrest
Member #

I have seen this on a trooper while I was stuck in traffic. I looked like a body lift in conjunction with a suspension lift. You could do it with just a suspension lift and liberal cutting of fenders. If you do this please post up photos, I have a soft spot for troopers.

Classic City Overland

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Athens, GA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Gagnon
Member #

So, I'm assuming you mean 35x12.50s as those are most common. Yes they will fit with either a 2" BL and 3" suspension lift, or 3" suspension lift and some fender trimming. Also you will need to use wheel spacers or have an almost 0 offset rim to fit without rubbing the frame on a turn.

Thats just the first part, as for actually getting the truck not to mechnically fail, id say a you'd need to regear. Your 99 I think usually has 4.30s with the auto, you'd need 4.56s at least but 4.77s would be the best bet. Also with those tires a trans cooler is almost required so your trans doesnt overheat.

In my 15+ years of Isuzu ownership and meet ups I've only met a handfull that had 35s and they all had Solid front axle swaps. If you keep the IFS up front, the amount of lift required from the torsion bar takes out all of your downtravel. and makes the ride very harsh. Id say stay with 33s and install a locker or a winch. They will be much more effective than big tires on the trail.

Eric

Reactions: Kirill Rudnev

Kirill Rudnev

Rank 0

Traveler I

So, I'm assuming you mean 35x12.50s as those are most common. Yes they will fit with either a 2" BL and 3" suspension lift, or 3" suspension lift and some fender trimming. Also you will need to use wheel spacers or have an almost 0 offset rim to fit without rubbing the frame on a turn.

Thats just the first part, as for actually getting the truck not to mechnically fail, id say a you'd need to regear. Your 99 I think usually has 4.30s with the auto, you'd need 4.56s at least but 4.77s would be the best bet. Also with those tires a trans cooler is almost required so your trans doesnt overheat.

In my 15+ years of Isuzu ownership and meet ups I've only met a handfull that had 35s and they all had Solid front axle swaps. If you keep the IFS up front, the amount of lift required from the torsion bar takes out all of your downtravel. and makes the ride very harsh. Id say stay with 33s and install a locker or a winch. They will be much more effective than big tires on the trail.

Eric
Than you Eric, that's some good info. Would you know what the gear ratio was on the manual ones? For mine is manual.

Classic City Overland

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Athens, GA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Gagnon
Member #

Should be 4.56 on the manual. You can verify on the firewall option plate, the 4.56 option is HC6. If you snap a picture I can let you know what you got otherwise. I have an option list in my service manual.

Classic City Overland

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Athens, GA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Gagnon
Member #

Well, I got good news and bad news. Looks like you good 4.30 gears so 33"s is where I would recommend. But you also have a g80 so your rear end is an LSD. I like the long list of options

Rorschach

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Huntington Beach, CA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Niederhauser
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ULA
If you can wait till Monday I work for Isuzu and can look up and give you a list of gear ratios for your year. I can also look into interchanges for you as far as other years.

Sent from my LGLS991 using OB Talk mobile app

Kirill Rudnev

Rank 0

Traveler I

Oh yes! If you could look into the interchanges that would be a big help. Independent4x wants 650$ for a 4:77 third member, but if I could find one at a junkyard that would save me some.
Thank you

Classic City Overland

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Athens, GA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Gagnon
Member #

Rorschach, that great you work for Isuzu. I can you get Isuzu parts from other countries? I know the part numbers for just about every gear that will fit in our troopers.

The 4.77 gears are very hard to find in a junkyard, and it's alot of work to remove. Also, in my manual it shows the 99 Trooper has the "mod 12-bolt rear" it's actually a bigger ring gear than the normal 12, but the biggest gear and that fits is 4.30. so to use a 4.56 or 4.77 you would need to swap the entire 3rd or axle to make it work.

If your dead set on having 35s on your Trooper it's possible but it's alot of work to keep the drivability there.

Kirill Rudnev

Rank 0

Traveler I

Rorschach, that great you work for Isuzu. I can you get Isuzu parts from other countries? I know the part numbers for just about every gear that will fit in our troopers.

The 4.77 gears are very hard to find in a junkyard, and it's alot of work to remove. Also, in my manual it shows the 99 Trooper has the "mod 12-bolt rear" it's actually a bigger ring gear than the normal 12, but the biggest gear and that fits is 4.30. so to use a 4.56 or 4.77 you would need to swap the entire 3rd or axle to make it work.

If your dead set on having 35s on your Trooper it's possible but it's alot of work to keep the drivability there.
Thank you Eric, I was wondering if mine was 12 or 10 bolt. We're the 4:56 quite common?

Classic City Overland

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Athens, GA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Gagnon
Member #

The front is definitely a 10 and the rear is definitely a 12.

But your rear may be a "modified 12", it being the LSD it's very likely.

4.56 gear were standard on all trooper up to 98. So if you want gears get the entire 3rd members from an earlier trooper and you'll be good to go.

Reactions: Kirill Rudnev