McCamper

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

SODDY DAISY / CHATTANOOGA TN
Member #

RIG: 1998 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4.0

Color: White

Lift: 3in (this needs replaced agian with a 3in Oldman Emu 3in full kit)

Tires: 30x950r15 or 31x10r15
15in gambler rims 5 hole (set of 9). (And a set of 4) 12 holes (had to replace tires and got way too good a deal for rims and tire)

K&N air filter using stock box

I'm slowly turning this Jeep into the overland RIG it should have been for years.

Bought another Jeep 97 XJ, and will be mimicking alot of its build for my original Jeep98

Link to 97XJ

20180325_151235.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using OB Talk mobile app

Last edited:

McCamper

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

RIG: 1998 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4.0

Color: White

Lift: 3in (this needs replaced agian with a 3in Oldman Emu 3in full kit)

Tires: 30x950r15 or 31x10r15
15in gambler rims 5 hole (set of 9). (And a set of 4) 12 holes (had to replace tires and got way too good a deal for rims and tire)

K&N air filter using stock box

I'm slowly turning this Jeep into the overland RIG it should have been for years.
View attachment 62167

Question 1.

Is it ok to put a lunchbox Aussie locker in the front. D30.

And run a solid OX locker in the rear C8.25

Last edited:

Joeygo

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Santa Clarita, Ca.
Member #

Question 1.

And runs a solid OX locker in the rear C8.25

It really depends on what you want to do. If your wanting max traction for rock crawling. Then being able to lock your diffs is a big plus. I think that the best bang for your buck is a selectable locker in the rear and running the front as it is (open diff). Everyone has an opinion on this. It's pretty amazing what a stock cherokee can do off road on a 3" lift, rear sway bar removed and front sway disconnected. Don't forget to properly bump stop to keep your tires from getting into the fenders. It looks like you are off to a good start and good luck with your decisions.

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

McCamper

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

It really depends on what you want to do. If your wanting max traction for rock crawling. Then being able to lock your diffs is a big plus. I think that the best bang for your buck is a selectable locker in the rear and running the front as it is (open diff). Everyone has an opinion on this. It's pretty amazing what a stock cherokee can do off road on a 3" lift, rear sway bar removed and front sway disconnected. Don't forget to properly bump stop to keep your tires from getting into the fenders. It looks like you are off to a good start and good luck with your decisions.
Thank you, for the advice. And yes ive been many places as is with the 3in lift. I drive around the crazy rocks that most guys like to brag about going over and almost obliterated by. Was my daily for a long time.

So this set up would over ride the selectable 4x4 knob inside the vehicle?

McCamper

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

Question 1.

And run a solid OX locker in the rear C8.25

Just to clarify for those of us that are not mechanics.

Front Dana 30 would get the assuie locker that ratchets when driving and turning.

And rear if it's made or I can find one. Would get a mini spool. This is a solid block of steel. Not Rednecks and welded.

I thought OX made this option.

I still want to same my old parts for emergency replacement if needed.

So that would make the jeep like an s10 truck in the rear. On the roads and thats where the question lyes will this destroy my 4x4 system?

Scenario is to get a solid reliable on/off road rig without so many failure points like the air and electric cable systems.

Is it even possible?
I may not be asking the question correctly but I'm trying best I can. Don't know much about the workings of vehicles.Screenshot_20180719-111403.jpgScreenshot_20180719-115126.jpgScreenshot_20180719-115159.jpgScreenshot_20180719-115229.jpg

Joeygo

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Santa Clarita, Ca.
Member #

I agree with Phildirt. No spools. This makes it a solid axle. Not a option on a street driven daily driver. I also wouldn't put an Aussie locker in the front or the rear. My solution for my rig is to put a LSD in the rear like a truetrac and a selectable in the front if needed. This will get me anywhere I want to go and further.

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Here is my Two cents! I had a 98’XJ and currently drive a 95’ I agree on road no mini spool even in the rear axle. Now, mind you, I live in snow country so I write my recommendations with that. OX does not make a spool. But they make a great selectable locker. To save money, you could put an Aussie in the rear axle and a True-Trac up front. As mentioned, a Detroit in the rear, and a selectable up front or a True-Trac.
Yukon makes a Pro limited slip that is rebuildable and tight. Would be a great on, off-road option for the rear axle. I have OX air lockers front and rear and love them! If you have a auto locker or spool up front it will fight you and even take you for a ride, possibly not in the Direction you may want to go. Most of the time unless I am stuck, or running in a straight line, I do not use the front locker. Benz.

Reactions: Mekcanix

McCamper

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

You don't always need lockers.They are nice but not always needed. I climbed into this rockpile with no effort a LSD and open front diff.
View attachment 62220 View attachment 62221 View attachment 62222
I get you there! I have avoided rock piles like that in the past. Except that 1 dry creekbead I went down. And found another way up.

Thank you for the tips and advice. Hope to talk more with other questions and subjects.

McCamper

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

Here is my Two cents! I had a 98’XJ and currently drive a 95’ I agree on road no mini spool even in the rear axle. Now, mind you, I live in snow country so I write my recommendations with that. OX does not make a spool. But they make a great selectable locker. To save money, you could put an Aussie in the rear axle and a True-Trac up front. As mentioned, a Detroit in the rear, and a selectable up front or a True-Trac.
Yukon makes a Pro limited slip that is rebuildable and tight. Would be a great on, off-road option for the rear axle. I have OX air lockers front and rear and love them! If you have a auto locker or spool up front it will fight you and even take you for a ride, possibly not in the Direction you may want to go. Most of the time unless I am stuck, or running in a straight line, I do not use the front locker. Benz.
Thank you, I will take a look at the true track. And Yukon lockers.

I'm in Tennessee so not much snow to worry with except for the rare occasions.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Thank you, I will take a look at the true track. And Yukon lockers.

I'm in Tennessee so not much snow to worry with except for the rare occasions.

Yes, true but even in mud it is much the same. I had a CJ7 that had ARB air lockers front and rear. I also had a conversion done to the transfer case, so I could also run in front drive or rear drive only or both of course. That was a fun setup! Can you live with a spool in the rear and auto locker up front? Some, do. It is hard on tires and will handle strange down right dangerously. Any off level road with a slant to the edge of a drop off will pucker places you don’t want to talk about! I had to go save a friend one time up in the woods. The road was slanted towards a steep cliff. Lots of clay and mud. He had a Detroit in the rear axle a had “ Lincoln Locked” or welded the front differential making it a spool. Every time he tried to move forward, his truck would start walking and sliding to to the cliff edge! A winch would have saved him calling me, but that’s another story.Benz.