98 Jeep Cherokee Sport

• HTML tutorial

Malik650

Rank 0

Traveler I

Worth investing into ??? From what my pops told me it’s need a new brake line , basic cosmetic stuff.but other than that it runs good

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

I am a bit fond of XJ Cherokees... I have 3.
I agree with Goats, check the floor board for rust.
The 4.0 is a good strong engine, if it has the Chrysler 8.25 that is the best axle it came with (other option is the Dana 35).
They are easy to work on.....except the heater core.

The aftermarket support is outstanding and if you plan on upgrading it I would refer you to Ironman4x4fab.

Also, welcome from Oklahoma.

xjfan

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Florida
Welcome from Florida.

X2 on what's been said....

We've got a 99 XJ. There easy to work on, parts not too expensive.

Currently waiting for parts from ironman4x4fab. Ordered them while the sale was running at the beginning of the year.

Malik650

Rank 0

Traveler I

I am a bit fond of XJ Cherokees... I have 3.
I agree with Goats, check the floor board for rust.
The 4.0 is a good strong engine, if it has the Chrysler 8.25 that is the best axle it came with (other option is the Dana 35).
They are easy to work on.....except the heater core.

The aftermarket support is outstanding and if you plan on upgrading it I would refer you to Ironman4x4fab.

Also, welcome from Oklahoma.
Right on thanks !!

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

I really like my 91 Xj 5 spd, it has been a great rig. But I am considering selling it and looking for a 98-99 Xj with a automatic tranny with low miles. I believe that those two years are the best of them all.

BlueRidge150

Rank I

Contributor III

Greer, SC
I’ve got a ‘98 I picked up a few months ago. She will be a long, slow build. A weekend warrior for me and my young boys to explore in as they get older.

I’m not mechanically inclined by any means, but like others mentioned, they are so easy to work on yourself. Tons of resources.

Check out cherokeeforum.com
And naxja.com too

Both are great places, and of course YouTube.

Reactions: JDGreens

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

I’ve got a ‘98 I picked up a few months ago. She will be a long, slow build. A weekend warrior for me and my young boys to explore in as they get older.

I’m not mechanically inclined by any means, but like others mentioned, they are so easy to work on yourself. Tons of resources.

Check out cherokeeforum.com
And naxja.com too

Both are great places, and of course YouTube.
The fact that they are very easy to work on is why I like the rig. I hadn't worked on cars since I was a kid, but I have done most of the work on my rig, which is one of the reasons the Xj is so affordable to build and maintain. If you are mechanically incline you will be very happy with the Xj.

PatriotT4R

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Lillington, NC 27546
Member #

Welcome from Florida.

X2 on what's been said....

We've got a 99 XJ. There easy to work on, parts not too expensive.

Currently waiting for parts from ironman4x4fab. Ordered them while the sale was running at the beginning of the year.
Hey xjfan welcome to OB Brother!!

jordan04gx

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Chittenango, NY
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2NFZ
XJ is probably the most affordable, fully capable, off-road vehicle a person can own. Provided you do your own work.

Parts are highly available and dirt cheap (relatively speaking)
Information on diagnosing and fixing problems is very accessible
Aftermarket customization products are widely available at a variety of price points
Gas mileage is not terrible (18-20 in tip-top running condition - at near stock setup)
Can tow up to about 2000lbs pretty comfortably (depending on terrain)
Is a mountain goat on hills, and has generally responsive handling in turns
It is much lighter than anyone would guess (around 3000 lbs)
Engineering is not always the best - but it is not over-engineered

Some trade-offs:
It is much smaller than anyone would guess - inside storage is at a premium
Interior noise is high by today's standards
Very little leg room in back seat
Due to the thin body and frame metal - rust can damage this vehicle relatively quickly

I decided to go XJ about 4 years ago. It is my adventure/camping vehicle and 80/day daily driver.
It can take my family of 4 camping with a popup to a state park
It can take me solo (with friends) in 3 ft. of snow and mud for winter camping
I still get excited to drive it everyday.

Harvey's XJ

Rank II

Enthusiast II

napa, ca
First Name
Mick
Last Name
Harvey
Great all around vehicle
On my second one. Current is 89 with 220k and looks and runs great. Weekend toy for camping and skiing. Super easy to work and super cheap parts. Mine has ZERO rust which makes working on it fun. If the rust is low it’s worth putting money into. They are tanks

Reactions: PatriotT4R