97 GMC Suburban build

• HTML tutorial

Subzilla

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Big Sky Country
Member #

This is the Suburban I picked up this week. I had planned to start my build using a 97 Tahoe but since I plan to swap a Cummins 12v into it this summer we decided a 1500 was a no go so I went hunting for a 2500 Suburban, which took less then 12 hrs to find this one in great condition and everything works!!!! Except the tranny. Apparently the converter went out and he had it replaced but the yoyo that said he could do it had never heard that when you replace a converter you replace the front pump as well... the front pump went out within 2 hours of the converter being replaced. So in the next two weeks I will rebuild the tranny much stronger then original since it will be mated to a diesel.

I do have a question for you guys, I have done plenty of off roaring but not any overloading. I am considering an SAS on Subzilla (yes I christened her Subzilla) is an SAS necessary? Or is a lifted IFS good enough?

Sent from my P00I using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Gilbert

Camp_Llama

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Lexington, Kentucky
First Name
Seth
Last Name
Lamar
Member #

I would think the lifted IFS would be fine for off-roading, overlanding, trail riding, etc. The main benefit I see for going to a SAS is to better handle the weight of the 5.9 cummins. That said, I would compare the weight of the 5.9 to the 6.5 diesel that GM used in the 90s. If the weight is similar, I would think IFS would be okay. Great looking Burb!

Reactions: ob4838 and Subzilla

Subzilla

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Big Sky Country
Member #

I would think the lifted IFS would be fine for off-roading, overlanding, trail riding, etc. The main benefit I see for going to a SAS is to better handle the weight of the 5.9 cummins. That said, I would compare the weight of the 5.9 to the 6.5 diesel that GM used in the 90s. If the weight is similar, I would think IFS would be okay. Great looking Burb!
It is a 2500 so I'm not sure the SAS would help with weight or not. Yes the 12v weighs more then the 454 in it now but its not a huge weight difference.
As I see it the only benefit I get from an SAS is articulation and maybe a better differential.

Reactions: HAT608

Camp_Llama

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Lexington, Kentucky
First Name
Seth
Last Name
Lamar
Member #

With the SAS I'd say you could put more heavy duty coils or leaf springs in the front to handle the 12v. I'm basing this on what I've seen when people have swapped in a 7.3L powerstroke into a bronco, usually has required taking the dana 60 and leafs to handle the added weight (don't know how the 7.3 and 5.9s compare in that regard). That said, one thing I would consider if you're thinking of sticking with the IFS, is to talk to one of the suburban guys on here that have done the coilover conversion to their trucks. Look forward to seeing what direction you go in! Love the old 2500 suburbans with the fender flares. Does yours have the barn doors or the rear hatch?

Subzilla

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Big Sky Country
Member #

Lol yep! Its a move bumper, you order the confivuration they cut it and send it as a kit you weld it and install. Im ordering the same bumper wth a winch mount instead of the light cut out and im adding the off road package which means the whole bumper is 1/4" steel.

Sent from my SM-G955U using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Cort

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

...since it will be mated to a diesel.

I do have a question for you guys, I have done plenty of off roaring but not any overloading. I am considering an SAS on Subzilla (yes I christened her Subzilla) is an SAS necessary? Or is a lifted IFS good enough?
I had a '98 Chevy Express with a 6.5 Duramax and now have an '08 GMC Savana with a 6.6 Duramax. Sportsman4x4 in Kamloops BC have been doing Chevy and GMC 4x4 conversions with lifts for a lot of GM forest, fire, and ambulance service vans and keep the IFS with great success. They only go back as far as '04, for some reason. Can't say for certain how many are diesels.

I saw on youtube, too, that Weldtec just added parts to a conversion on a GMC van that may be of some interest to you:

EDIT: In looking more at Weldtec's site, I don't think they offer actual conversions but do offer a lot of bumper and lift options for Chevy/GMC whether 2wd or 4x4.

I'm going to have it done for my van, too, though haven't contacted either Weldtec or Sportsman4x4 yet. I do know a lot of other places I contacted, like Quigley, won't do GMCs if older or have too many miles, whether diesel or not.

I absolutely love my GMC Duramax van for long-distance travel and camping, and can't wait 'til I have 4x4 on her.

Last edited:
Reactions: Subzilla

Subzilla

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Big Sky Country
Member #

I had a '98 Chevy Express with a 6.5 Duramax and now have an '08 GMC Savana with a 6.6 Duramax. Sportsman4x4 in Kamloops BC have been doing Chevy and GMC 4x4 conversions with lifts for a lot of GM forest, fire, and ambulance service vans and keep the IFS with great success. They only go back as far as '04, for some reason. Can't say for certain how many are diesels.

I saw on youtube, too, that Weldtec just added parts to a conversion on a GMC van that may be of some interest to you:

EDIT: In looking more at Weldtec's site, I don't think they offer actual conversions but do offer a lot of bumper and lift options for Chevy/GMC whether 2wd or 4x4.

I'm going to have it done for my van, too, though haven't contacted either Weldtec or Sportsman4x4 yet. I do know a lot of other places I contacted, like Quigley, won't do GMCs if older or have too many miles, whether diesel or not.

I absolutely love my GMC Duramax van for long-distance travel and camping, and can't wait 'til I have 4x4 on her.
Well this project came to a screeching hault and went a different direction. After looking over the Suburban I decided it is just too big for what I want and want to do with it, so I went looking for something a bit smaller something more off road capable and something I didn't have to have a good deal of the parts fabricated. What did I decide on? Well I grew up watching The Rat Patrol as a kid and dreamed of one day driving a Land Rover. With Defenders out of my wallet size I decided on an 04 Discovery 2. Yes I know the potential problems, I've read so much on Disco2's over the last couple weeks its not funny! So I got an 04 in Zambezi Silver the interior is the "S" interior which I like due to it being easy to clean! The engine and transmission are out of it and will be replaced new in the next few months. Here are some pics.20171005_123813.jpg20171005_123850.jpg20171005_123836.jpg20171005_123911.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Road

Subzilla

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Big Sky Country
Member #

Hello I haven't posted in a while so here's an update on the Suburban. I did t as l about switching to a land rover but ultimately decided to stick with the GMC.
Through this horrible winter I did get the new transmission put in. I also got away from doing an SAS and Cummins diesel swap. I decided to try a BDS lift on it and see how I like that before going to an SAS. The 5.7 is still going bye bye and is about to be replaced with a 8.1 liter motor. That motor is almost ready and when the install is happening I will post more photos!

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

Good overlanding car is for sure. A good diesel engine and but it will get electrical problems anyway.