• HTML tutorial

Pedretti8

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Bastrop, TX.
Member #

Hi all!
I'm pretty new to the forum, this may be the wrong place to put this but I thought it was a good choice since I'm "making plans for a build"
So, I just recently acquired a 2wd XJ. I am wanting to do some light overlanding, maybe go for some camping trips but I also need to use this for work. My original thoughts were to turn this into a work truck (I do maintenance for 19 locations of a large pizza chain.) but it would be nice to go for a camping trip every now and then with it. Especially if I can build a rack and get a tent for the top.

I found this picture online and it is pretty much what inspired the "work truck" idea
upload_2017-1-13_22-6-39.png
I like the idea of taking the rear windows out and building boxes on both sides on the inside maybe even weld the rear side doors shut (they don't currently open from the outside) and making two doors on each side.

Honestly, I am trying to brain storm.

The XJ is at a pretty good starting point, some body work and a few lights need replacing. After title is changed over and all, I will be ready to start building

What are yalls thoughts on putting some "airlift" bags or a coil over conversion for the rear? I'm not wanting to do anything extreme, just get off the beaten path a little bit. I will most likely end up pulling a small trailer at some point for work or camping (now an overland trailer comes into my head...) so I would like to beef up the rear in some way so I don't have issues with the sag.

I'm thinking a "box truck type thing" but in Cherokee style.

My thoughts so far (totally nothing concrete)

• Ripping out everything in the back of the jeep, back seat and all. Spray in sound deadening rubber and building shelves and boxes for tools and work stuff, lineing everything else with light weight diamond plate and spray in bed liner.
  • My box truck idea with the diamond plate door/window
  • Locking rear differentials
  • 2" lift
  • Wood head liner (I saw some pictures of some vw's that looked pretty sweet)
  • Rack on top for a tent and some lights of some sort
  • Lining the bottom half of the jeep with some aluminum diamond plate I found. It wouldn't provide anything structurally but if I weld the doors shut it would help tie in everything and look pretty cool I think.
  • Bed liner of some sort on the out side of it, haven't really put much thought into that.
  • Wheel spacers and some beefy tires
  • Fender flares

So, thoughts or ideas? Where do I start?
I have no time frame but I also don't have a huge budget on this, I can probably fab everything up myself with some help from my brother in law.
This is literally a play thing that my wife was kind enough to let me toy with and wouldn't be a DD until complete.

Is the box truck idea even a possibility or am I wasting my time planning this?