911 - 12v Refrigerator & Electrical

• HTML tutorial

Nostrathomas

Rank I

Enthusiast I

I'm going to order a 12V frig for a trip through Hells Canyon and Owyhee (OR) in 2 weeks. Can I use the 12v connection in the back of my 2016 Trial? What about the 120?

I see lots of talk about dual batteries, deep cell batteries, etc. What happens if I run out of time to upgrade and just go with OOB 12V in the back? solar?

Thanks in advance.

tbisaacs

Rank III

Advocate I

Renton, WA
Member #

Definitely use 12v when possible. It’s highly inefficient to use the fridge with 110v.

Do you plan on mostly driving or being stationary? For parking over night you’ll be fine. Set the battery protection to high.

One option would be to buy and inexpensive panel and solar controller to keep you battery topped up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Can I use the 12v connection in the back of my 2016 Trial?
Note that the 12V receptacle only functions when the ignition is on. So you can't use that overnight. I ran a pair of 8Ga wire directly to the battery (fused) and added a receptacle in the rear of the fender liner.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
What fridge you going to get? Some draw more than others.
My off road trailer has a 60qt Engle. It draws a bit more than a 40qt arb. Point is, I have a small battery on the trailer. The trailer battery powers it for about 18hr's with no problem without charging. If I sit in one place, I have a 100 watt solar panel that powers it during the day and charges my battery. The battery in your vehicle is probably twice what my trailer battery is.
As @Steve said, you will want to run a good power feed back to the fridge and if you drive from spot to spot you will most likely charge what you used. If your driving short distance and sitting alot then a solar panel will top it off nicely.

Scott

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Worst case get one of the cables from Amazon with alligator clips and 12v plug so you can go direct to your battery when you see stationary.

Yes, you should get a solar panel with a controller because that should be a part of any setup.

If you only have a starter battery you are going to kill it prematurely, especially if you don’t have solar, because they are not meant to be drained down slowly but it will work for the short term.

As you mentioned all of the other stuff has been/is being discussed in other threads.

Wherever you go, there you are. Sent from my phone.

Lee Mims

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Tennessee
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Mims
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5STC
Here’s a short video explaining my setup which cost a LOT less than a goal zero but accomplished the same thing.