'91 Centurion Classic C350 4x4 - 7.3 IDI - Help sourcing dash switch?

• HTML tutorial

WareWolf MoonWall

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Green Country, OK
First Name
WareWolf
Last Name
MoonWall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Direct Message Me..
Hey Folks,

I'm starting to restore (and eventually modify) my new-to-me '91 Centurion Classic C350. For those that have never heard of this vehicle, don't feel bad. They only made a few thousand of them during the late 80's and early 90's. Depending on which configuration you bought, it was an F-Series pickup from the cab forward mated to a Bronco rear. This particular one is the F-350, hense C350. Think Suburban, but with the removable Bronco top. With all the seats installed (depending on benches or captain chairs) you could get up to nine passengers with cargo room to spare, or convert it into an open air vehicle like a Bronco, or a long bed pickup. With the back seat removed (Bronco feature) and the mid-row seats flipped forward, you have over 12' of flat space to get yourself into all sorts of mischief.

I know you are curious, so here's a picture:

00S0S_jwquCacaa0Gz_0mn09Z_1200x900.jpg

Anyways, I'm trying to source a dash switch and not having any luck. It's the rear window defroster switch which I believe matches an '87 - '91/'92 Bronco. It looks like this:

Maybe some of you have parts Bronco's sitting around, or could keep an eye out at your nearby pull-a-parts? Drop me a message if you are able to help, obviously I'll pay for the part / shipping etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: M Rose

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Hey Folks,

I'm starting to restore (and eventually modify) my new-to-me '91 Centurion Classic C350. For those that have never heard of this vehicle, don't feel bad. They only made a few thousand of them during the late 80's and early 90's. Depending on which configuration you bought, it was an F-Series pickup from the cab forward mated to a Bronco rear. This particular one is the F-350, hense C350. Think Suburban, but with the removable Bronco top. With all the seats installed (depending on benches or captain chairs) you could get up to nine passengers with cargo room to spare, or convert it into an open air vehicle like a Bronco, or a long bed pickup. With the back seat removed (Bronco feature) and the mid-row seats flipped forward, you have over 12' of flat space to get yourself into all sorts of mischief.

View attachment 210782

Anyways, I'm trying to source a dash switch and not having any luck. It's the rear window defroster switch which I believe matches an '87 - '91/'92 Bronco. It looks like this:

Maybe some of you have parts Bronco's sitting around, or could keep an eye out at your nearby pull-a-parts? Drop me a message if you are able to help, obviously I'll pay for the part / shipping etc.
Can you make out the part #....? Ford is really good about new old stock laying around some of the older dealerships like the one down the road from me that just closed. Part # or Engineering # will look very close to this;
BL3S-5E633-AA

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
This is a start.
E9SZ-18C621-A for a thunderbird....but base # (18C621) would be very close

EDIT....the part number should be F1TZ-18C621-A.....
Try calling Kingsland Ford, (912) 510-3673 and ask for "Bruce Jackson" if he is still there. He will know where you can get one. Any Ford dealer should be able to search the part dealer to dealer. If not you'll need to get one from a salvage yard.
Z

Last edited:

WareWolf MoonWall

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Green Country, OK
First Name
WareWolf
Last Name
MoonWall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Direct Message Me..
Can you make out the part #....? Ford is really good about new old stock laying around some of the older dealerships like the one down the road from me that just closed. Part # or Engineering # will look very close to this;
BL3S-5E633-AA
I do not have the part, that's just a photo online I found. I have a blank spot in the dash for it. I pulled the service panel from under the steering column just in case it fell inside and don't see anything. Truck has been in the shop having engine work done, so I can't go look at it right now. It's also not in my Chiltons book for Bronco's.

This is a picture I found online of the same dash panel with the switches. It's the right switch:

Google gave me this number: E7TB19A328AA

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Looks like it, plus the up/down switch. I'd be fine with the set too. A few extra parts wouldn't hurt with something this old hah.
Well that one sold, but I'm sure there are more out there. The letter "E" would be the "80's" so funny its off a decade, but I'll buy that. Any momentary switch would work I think. Call Bruce if he is still there or the current parts manager might help you. You need to find a 65 year old dude who is ready to retire. I'm a old parts guy without access to the system. Problem is the kids don't want to look or do research. Bruce, my old boss, had all those part numbers in his head.....all of them, every one.
LOL
Zim

WareWolf MoonWall

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Green Country, OK
First Name
WareWolf
Last Name
MoonWall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Direct Message Me..
Well that one sold, but I'm sure there are more out there. The letter "E" would be the "80's" so funny its off a decade, but I'll buy that. Any momentary switch would work I think. Call Bruce if he is still there or the current parts manager might help you. You need to find a 65 year old dude who is ready to retire. I'm a old parts guy without access to the system. Problem is the kids don't want to look or do research. Bruce, my old boss, had all those part numbers in his head.....all of them, every one.
LOL
Zim
Appreciate it, I'll try and locate Bruce, or someone old enough to remember this thing when it was new. To be honest, I had not even considered a dealership given the age of the vehicle. It's so strange how much of this vehicle is available, even brand new metal for the body. Add to that the fact that so many years of so many model fords shared parts. Kinda cool!

As for using "any momentary switch" - I do not believe that will work (properly), because these switches for window defroster elements should have a timer controller inside from the research I've done. I saw a guy install one of those simple metal throw switches and folks jumped all over the guy for likely burning out the window elements.

Last edited:

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Appreciate it, I'll try and locate Bruce, or someone old enough to remember this thing when it was new. To be honest, I had not even considered a dealership given the age of the vehicle. It's so strange how much of this vehicle is available, even brand new metal for the body. Add to that the fact that so many years of so many model fords shared parts. Kinda cool!

As for using "any momentary switch" - I do not believe that will work (properly), because these switches for window defroster elements should have a timer controller inside from the research I've done. I saw a guy install one of those simple metal throw switches and folks jumped all over the guy for likely burning out the window elements.
Cool. I would think the BCM or body control module would regulate the defrost but that's a argument for the experts..lol. (check the schematic in the chiltons) Bruce may have retired but if you can find a good "small" dealership, you might get lucky. Most will tell you they only go back 10 years...or sometimes 5 years, but we had another system that could search seperate dealerships for "new old stock". That's the technical name for that business. See what you can find, and let me know, and I'll keep a eye out too.
Thanks
Zim

try these folks too.
(972) 937-2201

sales@nospartsltd.com

Last edited:

WareWolf MoonWall

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Green Country, OK
First Name
WareWolf
Last Name
MoonWall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Direct Message Me..
Cool. I would think the BCM or body control module would regulate the defrost but that's a argument for the experts..lol. (check the schematic in the chiltons) Bruce may have retired but if you can find a good "small" dealership, you might get lucky. Most will tell you they only go back 10 years...or sometimes 5 years, but we had another system that could search seperate dealerships for "new old stock". That's the technical name for that business. See what you can find, and let me know, and I'll keep a eye out too.
Thanks
Zim

try these folks too.
(972) 937-2201

sales@nospartsltd.com
Bruce is apparently no longer working at that dealership, but the guy I talked to was helpful so I know a little more.

• E7TZ18C621A (Part Number)
  • E7TB-19A328-AA (Engineer Number)
In addition to calling that dealership in GA, I called a couple in this area and either none of them are looking for "new old stock" as I'm asking, or it's truly not available anymore from dealers.

I tried to call NOS Parts LTD but their VM screwed up, so I emailed them instead.

The search continues!

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Bruce is apparently no longer working at that dealership, but the guy I talked to was helpful so I know a little more.

• E7TZ18C621A (Part Number)
  • E7TB-19A328-AA (Engineer Number)
In addition to calling that dealership in GA, I called a couple in this area and either none of them are looking for "new old stock" as I'm asking, or it's truly not available anymore from dealers.

I tried to call NOS Parts LTD but their VM screwed up, so I emailed them instead.

The search continues!
Great. Hope you find what you're looking for. I'll still keep a eye out.
Thanks.
Zim

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hey Folks,

View attachment 210782

Go over to Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum and ask for help over there. There are several junkyard hounds on the prowl as well as Centurion Owners.

Just an FYI, dash changed in 1992. So 1987-1991 dash parts interchange and 1992-1996 dash parts interchange (except instrument panels are 1992-1993, and 1994-1995, while 1996 is its own complete beast due to OBDII compliance).

Reactions: WareWolf MoonWall

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Cool. I would think the BCM or body control module would regulate the defrost but that's a argument for the experts..lol.
Broncos never got BCMs. Not even the 1996 Bronco which was the only year for OBDII system. The 1987-1991 Bronco and F-Series and even the E series share a lot of parts, and most of the switches are interchangeable between years and models within those years. But again none of them had BCM until 1997 for the F-150 and then 1998 for all the rest.

@WA4WLF
Below is a link to a free Haynes Manual for Bronco and F-series truck to match your year of Centurion.

Reactions: WareWolf MoonWall

WareWolf MoonWall

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Green Country, OK
First Name
WareWolf
Last Name
MoonWall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Direct Message Me..
@WA4WLF i found the switch for you…
HOLY COW! I have been on Ebay for several weeks looking for one almost daily! Thank you - it's mine, I bought it, and I'm not sharing :)

WareWolf MoonWall

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Green Country, OK
First Name
WareWolf
Last Name
MoonWall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Direct Message Me..
Broncos never got BCMs. Not even the 1996 Bronco which was the only year for OBDII system. The 1987-1991 Bronco and F-Series and even the E series share a lot of parts, and most of the switches are interchangeable between years and models within those years. But again none of them had BCM until 1997 for the F-150 and then 1998 for all the rest.

@WA4WLF
Below is a link to a free Haynes Manual for Bronco and F-series truck to match your year of Centurion.
Thanks for the link! I actually grabbed a paper copy that I'm waiting to come in, as well as the the Chilton which already came in. I'll definitely bookmark though.

Reactions: M Rose