Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Time and time again I see amazing builds of brand new Tacomas or dodge trucks built with a pretty decent budget. I love them! However, seeing these so often makes it a little intimidating to get into the hobby. This is what I hope to be a very open thread about the slow build of my classic truck. I have never heard anyone say "wow a 1980 F250...taht'd make a great overlander" so I have no standard to live up to and no rule book to follow.

I bought this because it was running, had working 4x4, 4-low and was $900. I purchased this in Seattle and immediately (despite the sellers hesitancy) drove it back to the bay area. It has no power, but enough torque to move the planet. Not to mention it had a terrible exhaust leak. Also it is HUGE.

I do have limited mechanical experience. I built (another never ending project) a 1967 Mustang with my dad...engine, transmission, suspension, brakes, etc.

If you are interested in this build I hope you enjoy! Expect slow updates though. And feel free to participate I'd love guidance, pointers, and just any crazy ideas that you think could be cool on this blank slate!

Now for the juicy part...some glamour shots of where it all started:

View attachment 147451

View attachment 147452

View attachment 147453
Wow!
A 1980 Ford F-250! That'd make a pissah overlander!

I'm not kidding. When I was a kid we had a 1978 F series. Same damn type of seat cover as in your fist picture. The thing was absolutely cavernous inside.

I'd get one if I could find a good one in the Northeast. That or a 1970's through 1994 big 2 door Chevy Blazer, and do the same thing.

I havent been through this whole thread, but I've hit Watch, and I will go through it

stark-in-the-wild

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Salmon Creek, WA, USA
First Name
Reed
Last Name
Starkey
Member #

Finally got around to get the truck out again! I'm fixing up a house and so is my dad so I have been generously lending him the truck. But I finally got the RTT back on and got the truck out.

I have been throwing around the idea of building a custom truck bed. Military style with a twist. But the suspension is BRUTAL. Any thoughts no bettering the suspension on an old truck like this? I swapped the shocks with OEM replacements but its still quite stiff. Next I am thinking about replacing the leaf spring bushings and then some better than OEM shocks. Open to suggestions though!

51648974649_2143ca9a3e_c.jpg

Unknown.jpeg

stark-in-the-wild

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Salmon Creek, WA, USA
First Name
Reed
Last Name
Starkey
Member #

That thing is awesome! If you look on craigslist long enough deals are bound to pop up. i definitely agree though, nothing beats a classic truck with a manual transmission

Reactions: DevilDodge

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Dude, I hate you so much, lol. You make me really miss my 82...

Reactions: stark-in-the-wild

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

Time and time again I see amazing builds of brand new Tacomas or dodge trucks built with a pretty decent budget. I love them! However, seeing these so often makes it a little intimidating to get into the hobby. This is what I hope to be a very open thread about the slow build of my classic truck. I have never heard anyone say "wow a 1980 F250...taht'd make a great overlander" so I have no standard to live up to and no rule book to follow.

I bought this because it was running, had working 4x4, 4-low and was $900. I purchased this in Seattle and immediately (despite the sellers hesitancy) drove it back to the bay area. It has no power, but enough torque to move the planet. Not to mention it had a terrible exhaust leak. Also it is HUGE.

I do have limited mechanical experience. I built (another never ending project) a 1967 Mustang with my dad...engine, transmission, suspension, brakes, etc.

If you are interested in this build I hope you enjoy! Expect slow updates though. And feel free to participate I'd love guidance, pointers, and just any crazy ideas that you think could be cool on this blank slate!

Now for the juicy part...some glamour shots of where it all started:

View attachment 147451

View attachment 147452

View attachment 147453
Can’t wait to see the finished product, love those older trucks look and aesthetics! I got a 02 f250 that I’m slowly transforming. Best of luck!!!

stark-in-the-wild

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Salmon Creek, WA, USA
First Name
Reed
Last Name
Starkey
Member #

@Dilldog Looking at past posts you were quite knowledgeable on carbs. My carb 600cfm which you said would be too much carb was correct. It is definitely too much haha It was free though so I have been making it work but it runs rich and dogs when i try to get on it. which was expected. However a 4 barrel Holley 450cfm just popped up for cheap. Do you think fitting that would be worth while?

I know you said 390 is ideal but unfortunately those carbs are so expensive brand new and I still haven't seen one pop up on craigslist :sweatsmile:

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
@Dilldog Looking at past posts you were quite knowledgeable on carbs. My carb 600cfm which you said would be too much carb was correct. It is definitely too much haha It was free though so I have been making it work but it runs rich and dogs when i try to get on it. which was expected. However a 4 barrel Holley 450cfm just popped up for cheap. Do you think fitting that would be worth while?

I know you said 390 is ideal but unfortunately those carbs are so expensive brand new and I still haven't seen one pop up on craigslist :sweatsmile:
I would jump on it, worst case it will be much better than the 600. If I remember correctly you are running an Edelbrock, so this 450 being a Holley will be more tuneable (at least in my opinion). Keep us posted as I will be very interested to see how that 450 treats you.

Last edited:

stark-in-the-wild

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Salmon Creek, WA, USA
First Name
Reed
Last Name
Starkey
Member #

Short new update. I rebuilt a new 450 cfm carburetor but haven't installed it yet since the truck is currently the only running vehicle I have right now. Hopefully will get that in next week and HOPEFULLY will report back that it is running way better.

As it is my only running vehicle I have taken it on a few backroad adventures instead of fixing my daily driver (because thats not as fun). Some pics below:

51697576877_a35c2383f3_c.jpg 51698368646_24a7e90cec_c.jpg 51699256765_8d12f81cf4_c.jpg 51698368546_786ae3a1f7_c.jpg 51667568397_4b1dae3fc2_c.jpg

stark-in-the-wild

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Salmon Creek, WA, USA
First Name
Reed
Last Name
Starkey
Member #

Update: Still haven't installed the 450 cfm carb, but I did replace the rear brakes on my Daily Driver so it is back in working order. Now I just need to find a couple hours to swap the carb. 1 Hour to install. 1 Hour for unforeseen problems and probably re-making the accelerator cable mount I had to make for the 600 cfm carb. Finding a big chunk of time is tough because another one of my many projects include fixing drywall from old switches and installing tile in my house before family comes for the holidays :sweatsmile:.

That being said I have 15-30 minutes here and there that I have been putting to a side project for the truck. It'll either be appreciated or hated when I am done with it but the way I see it anything is an upgrade on this thing. I never thought I'd attempt custom upholstery but here I am dipping my toe in the water to see how goes. Specifically I am making more low profile better looking (hopefully) door panels. I am doing this because in the 60's cars had exposed painted metal all over the interior (dash, door panels, etc.) and it's a look I really liked. When I removed the lower half of the plastic door panel I saw some stampings in the painted metal and just thought it added character leaving it that way. I also am not a fan of faded blue plastic all over the door.

First photo I am making a template on paper, which I then transferred onto wood I had laying around as a more permanent template.
Second Photo I am using the wood template to put the design on the final piece.
Third photo the two templates and the final 2 pieces for the both sides of the truck.

Currently I am waiting for the fabric and fabric glue. But I have some cushion for under the fabric cut to shape and some speaker guards for the big holes. Hopefully it will come out decent! If I had a sewing machine I could do part fabric and part leather but unfortunately I don't so 1 simple fabric it is. Looking forward to showing the final product...if I don't show it in early January then it all went wrong and I stuck with the plastic door panels and decided to love them. This little project creates two problems though. 1) the window seal on the inside was attached to the plastic door panel. So I need to find a way with metal to make a 0.5" bracket to hold the window in place with the window seal. I think i have this figured out but we shall see. 2) I need to make an arm rest...maybe out of metal and wood? 3) The wood isn't water proof. So I either find a way of water proofing it on the back or hope the new seals are good and don't stress about it.

Unknown.jpeg Unknown-1.jpeg Unknown-2.jpeg

Last edited:

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Reed, So cool to see an old truck get a new lease on life, I have an old 91 F250 supercab diesel stored away until I can figure out what I want to do with it and the time to do it. over 400k miles and still runs down the road. no computers or auto anything. Only problem is the 40 acres it needs to turn around...lol. Looking forward to seeing where you go with yours.

stark-in-the-wild

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Salmon Creek, WA, USA
First Name
Reed
Last Name
Starkey
Member #

@OTH Overland I appreciate it! And that '91 certainly has some potential! Love the potential of a blank slate thats for sure. What engine does yours have?

haha yeah the turning radius is far from ideal on mine too. Definitely been in some less than ideal situations trying to do a 20 point turn

Reactions: DevilDodge

OTH Overland

Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
@OTH Overland I appreciate it! And that '91 certainly has some potential! Love the potential of a blank slate thats for sure. What engine does yours have?

haha yeah the turning radius is far from ideal on mine too. Definitely been in some less than ideal situations trying to do a 20 point turn
I have the 7.3 diesel with a 5 speed manual. Have owned it since it was one year old with 20k miles. I do know that I will rebuild the 7.3 and add turbo and exhaust brake, change the twin traction beam front end to a one ton straight axle which will improve the turning orbit a little bit lol. Most likely it will stay a highway truck and get a new coat of paint. If the 90's crappy paint was not falling off, I would just clear coat it and let the patina show. Either way it will remain a vehicle that gets used hard. Seems like the old trucks prefer it that way.

stark-in-the-wild

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Salmon Creek, WA, USA
First Name
Reed
Last Name
Starkey
Member #

I have the 7.3 diesel with a 5 speed manual. Have owned it since it was one year old with 20k miles. I do know that I will rebuild the 7.3 and add turbo and exhaust brake, change the twin traction beam front end to a one ton straight axle which will improve the turning orbit a little bit lol. Most likely it will stay a highway truck and get a new coat of paint. If the 90's crappy paint was not falling off, I would just clear coat it and let the patina show. Either way it will remain a vehicle that gets used hard. Seems like the old trucks prefer it that way.
Love it! Got some big jobs in there! I am very curious how tough swapping from the TTB to the straight axle is. I think for this truck I'll leave it...at least for a while. But it does make doing other things easier thats for sure. 7.3 is a great engine too once that thing is rebuilt it'll be awesome! Totally agree that these old brutes are best working hard!

OTH Overland

Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Love it! Got some big jobs in there! I am very curious how tough swapping from the TTB to the straight axle is. I think for this truck I'll leave it...at least for a while. But it does make doing other things easier thats for sure. 7.3 is a great engine too once that thing is rebuilt it'll be awesome! Totally agree that these old brutes are best working hard!
Should not be too hard of a job, The TTB with 400k on it is not too happy and needs a bunch of work, so cost wise will end up a wash, If I locate a complete Dana 60 from a F350 with steering parts, springs and track bar it should be pretty much a bolt in project. May have to have driveline modified as I believe the F350 shaft needs to be an inch shorter. but some say I can just use the 350 shaft and change a yoke on the transfer case. There is also a kit available to swap the spring shackles from the front to to the rear of the spring, allows the use of super duty springs and improves ride and handling over the factory sytem.

stark-in-the-wild

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Salmon Creek, WA, USA
First Name
Reed
Last Name
Starkey
Member #

Alright I need some help! I now live in a place that gets snow which i woke up to this morning. It is quite cold. This is new to me. I went out to start my truck and it has electricity and everything should be good to go. But when i turned the key nothing. The starter didn't even click but all other electrics work! Could the starter gear be frozen and not engaging with the fly wheel?

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Alright I need some help! I now live in a place that gets snow which i woke up to this morning. It is quite cold. This is new to me. I went out to start my truck and it has electricity and everything should be good to go. But when i turned the key nothing. The starter didn't even click but all other electrics work! Could the starter gear be frozen and not engaging with the fly wheel?
It's a possibility. I would first get a volt meter to make sure the battery does have plenty of voltage, then make sure the starter solenoid is getting good voltage to it. That vintage of Ford should have the solenoid on the firewall or one of the inside fender wells, that is what you would hear clicking. If there is good voltage to the solenoid check that it is getting power to the small wire when you turn the key. If it is getting power to the small wire the problem could be the solenoid.