Camarillo CA
First Name
duane
Last Name
forrester
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GYI
As a bit of a shake-down, and after discussing the idea at our last monthly meetup, several of us (Myself, Raul, Joe and Chris) met up at the Flying J in Lebec this morning.

I’m doing the Mojave Road in a couple weeks, so this was an ideal chance to load up the Jeep and see how it would perform.

Joe brought the G-wagon, Raul had his TLC-80 and Chris was rocking his FJ. I was rollin’ dusty in the Rubicon.

Gassed up, we hit the Gorman entrance, and immediately grabbed the Powerline Road to get bumpy. After reaching the far end of that trail, we decided we wanted something a bit more challenging. So...the map was telling us the Pronghorn Trail was a black square trail (moderately difficult). Naturally, this felt like the right choice. And things got real in a hurry. LOL

The next trail sign informed the trail was a black diamond - most difficult. With no agreement between the official signs and the official maps, we opted to push on, one hand on the wheel, one hand on the rip cord in case we decided to bail.

And bail we did! After cresting a hill, the trail took a hard right over a ...cliff? Ledge? Drop off? All seem appropriate. It was a steep, sandstone slope, probably close to 30 degrees or so. We did watch a few motorcycles go down (easy), and watched one Jeep come up (almost flopped on his side, but he made it). We opted to just overland our backsides back the way we came. LOL

After our stop atop that hill for lunch, we tooled around a few of the other green (easy) level trails. In an homage to overlanding, we stopped for a final snack and photo opportunity before hitting the highway for our respective abodes. Overall, an excellent day outdoors!

CDCB7318-EFD0-4E33-B6B5-947CCAFDFD5A.jpeg
15749CB6-1386-4F81-A885-60BDBD8AB53A.jpeg
4CC6E835-B22C-43EE-A1CE-C4B076640F85.jpeg
159CE941-E750-4537-B5A1-D3C5DC5DA7EA.jpeg
739D5694-E209-444E-B98A-722903387108.jpeg
E55C41B8-FF8F-48D3-980F-CEB18129C594.jpeg
831D4D42-F422-4032-A884-9C392821132E.jpeg
F053BEB7-7AE0-4A9E-B7F6-63D28AF867D4.jpeg

Last edited:

MrChris

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Port Hueneme, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
March
Member #

Service Branch
Army Airborne Ranger
As a bit of a shake-down, and after discussing the idea at our last monthly meetup, several of us (Myself, Raul, Joe and Chris) met up at the Flying J in Lebec this morning.

I’m doing the Mojave Road in a couple weeks, so this was an ideal chance to load up the Jeep and see how it would perform.

Joe brought the G-wagon, Raul had his TLC-80 and Chris was rocking his FJ. I was rollin’ dusty in the Rubicon.

Gassed up, we hit the Gorman entrance, and immediately grabbed the Powerline Road to get bumpy. After reaching the far end of that trail, we decided we wanted something a bit more challenging. So...the map was telling us the Pronghorn Trail was a black square trail (moderately difficult). Naturally, this felt like the right choice. And things got real in a hurry. LOL

The next trail sign informed the trail was a black diamond - most difficult. With no agreement between the official signs and the official maps, we opted to push on, one hand on the wheel, one hand on the rip cord in case we decided to bail.

And bail we did! After cresting a hill, the trail took a hard right over a ...cliff? Ledge? Drop off? All seem appropriate. It was a steep, sandstone slope, probably close to 30 degrees or so. We did watch a few motorcycles go down (easy), and watched one Jeep come up (almost flopped on his side, but he made it). We opted to just overland our backsides back the way we came. LOL

After our stop atop that hill for lunch, we tooled around a few of the other green (easy) level trails. In an homage to overlanding, we stopped for a final snack and photo opportunity before hitting the highway for our respective abodes. Overall, an excellent day outdoors!

View attachment 173158
View attachment 173159
View attachment 173160
View attachment 173161
View attachment 173162
View attachment 173163
View attachment 173164
View attachment 173165
It was a BLAST and thank you for taking the lead on most of the trails...

Reactions: sportsguy