80/20 roof rack. Any advice?

• HTML tutorial

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

So I don't want to pay a grand for a frontrunner rack for the Subaru. I feel like something similar could be done with 80/20 aluminum. The only problem is that the only experience I have with 80/20 is with our premade Prinsu rack.
If you've done it do you like it?
Any design stuff you could share?
Any other tips and tricks?
I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

FlyingFischer5

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Spokane, WA
Member #

I've made a rack out of small round tubing, a bender and a welder for an older 1930's car but haven't tried aluminum. Are you looking for a basket or platform style?

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Before I bought my Prinsu, I put together a parts list to make one out of 80/20 parts. I ended up buying mine on a group buy for only a few dollars more.
My original design was almost exactly like a Prinsu but with more reinforcing. 80/20 has some corner pieces I was going to use as gussets (placed under the cross bars). My concern was the flex if I had to place something heavy, bowing the cross pieces and possibly permanently bending from dirt road driving. Next I was going to tie the crossbars with two "beams" running front to back. They would be cut to fit in between the cross bars.

My side rails were going to be 2x4 with the cross bars 1x3. The risers were going to be 3/8 aluminum plate, cut into 4 sections on each side, sitting in the roof gutter, clamped similar to the Prinsu with the side rails bolted inside of the risers.

Im guessing at the cost of building but I think with the 80/20, the aluminum plate, stainless hardware, powder coating some parts it was around 600-700. I really like my Prinsu but' I'm going to tie the cross bars down the center. I have already changed all the hardware over to stainless, run a rubber molding along the bottom of the riser where it sits on the drip rail and a heavy ground cable to the rack (I have 2 antenna mounted to it).

Obviously, mine was more expensive due to the size. The only obstacle will be mounting. I'm not familiar with the Subaru roof. Personally, I prefer building instead of buying and 80/20 is a grown up Lego set (or Erector Set if your old enough to remember). I believe this is very doable.

Scott

Reactions: chuckoverland

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

Before I bought my Prinsu, I put together a parts list to make one out of 80/20 parts. I ended up buying mine on a group buy for only a few dollars more.
My original design was almost exactly like a Prinsu but with more reinforcing. 80/20 has some corner pieces I was going to use as gussets (placed under the cross bars). My concern was the flex if I had to place something heavy, bowing the cross pieces and possibly permanently bending from dirt road driving. Next I was going to tie the crossbars with two "beams" running front to back. They would be cut to fit in between the cross bars.

My side rails were going to be 2x4 with the cross bars 1x3. The risers were going to be 3/8 aluminum plate, cut into 4 sections on each side, sitting in the roof gutter, clamped similar to the Prinsu with the side rails bolted inside of the risers.

Im guessing at the cost of building but I think with the 80/20, the aluminum plate, stainless hardware, powder coating some parts it was around 600-700. I really like my Prinsu but' I'm going to tie the cross bars down the center. I have already changed all the hardware over to stainless, run a rubber molding along the bottom of the riser where it sits on the drip rail and a heavy ground cable to the rack (I have 2 antenna mounted to it).

Obviously, mine was more expensive due to the size. The only obstacle will be mounting. I'm not familiar with the Subaru roof. Personally, I prefer building instead of buying and 80/20 is a grown up Lego set (or Erector Set if your old enough to remember). I believe this is very doable.

Scott
Thanks for the detailed reply! I do remember erector sets, the got replaced by those stupid plastic "knex" toys while i was still little though.

v_man

Rank IV

Advocate I

Redwood City
Have you considered making a rack out of steel? You can get a decent welder and the necessary amount of square tubing for the $600-$700 range. Plus you can pick up a useful skill and tool.

I'm not sure what the attraction to 80/20 is, maybe that it doesn't require welding? Won't rust? 80/20 is crazy expensive compared to square tubing is there is a negligible weight savings...

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I'm not sure what the attraction to 80/20 is, maybe that it doesn't require welding? Won't rust? 80/20 is crazy expensive compared to square tubing is there is a negligible weight savings...
For me its because its modular. Using a T-Slot channel, I can change the position of my mounts, secure different types of holders, add in tiedowns.......
Depending on where I'm going, what goes on my rack, how I mount things will differ. If I made it out of steel, it would have a bunch of holes as well as very heavy due to its size. No rust is also a bonus.
It could also be, it's fun to play with and I think it looks cool.

Reactions: bmwguru and v_man

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

For me its because its modular. Using a T-Slot channel, I can change the position of my mounts, secure different types of holders, add in tiedowns.......
Depending on where I'm going, what goes on my rack, how I mount things will differ. If I made it out of steel, it would have a bunch of holes as well as very heavy due to its size. No rust is also a bonus.
That was my line of thinking

bmwguru

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Pickrell
Member #

Precisely why I went with Prinsu as well. Couldn't be happier. I too considered building it myself out of 80/20 but in the end the actual cost difference was not as much as I thought and I would not be able to replicate the side rails which is what makes the rack look so good IMHO. I really like the low profile and how close the side rails fit to the body. The best looking rack available if you ask me as well as being very functional.

Reactions: smritte