Pathfinder III

Hamburg, Germany
First Name
Benjamin
Last Name
Kuehn
Member #

Hello,
my family and i are looking for a trailer up to 750kg for the future. it should offer us protection on rainy days, so it doesn't have to have a large area. since i have no idea about trailers and there are so many different types on the market, i would appreciate tips or recommendations for a purchase.

Thank you and regards

Benjamin

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
The number of different trailers on the market is nearly truly endless. So here are a few points I would pay attention to, regardless of manufacturers and models:
  • Same tyres/rims as on the towing vehicle to increase reliability (and because of the look).
  • High-quality, stable chassis with room to move upwards in terms of weight, by which I mean that I would always choose the next largest chassis for safety's sake.
  • Not pushing the weight limit just because it is legal, because higher loads also mean more stress for towing vehicle and trailer. For an offroad trailer, I would always stay well below the towing capacity of the towing vehicle, and I think you are quite well off with the 750kg.
  • In this context, I would also take a look at the trailer nose weight. In Germany we still tend to have the problem of low nose weights. If I remember correctly, the regulations (StVO) still say at least 4%. I would go much higher, because decent nose weight simply bring stability. But trailer and towing vehicle have to be built for this (remember that the nose weight has to be considered in the payload limit of the towing vehicle).
  • I would not choose trailer dimensions wider or higher than the towing vehicle, especially if going off-road. Then where the rig fits through, the trailer will also fit through.
  • Weight distribution. Especially with teardrops there is often this nice kitchen at the back. I think that's great, but it also means that the centre of gravity could quickly move to the back. I would pay attention to a good weight distribution of the installations such as kitchen, cool box, heating etc. This also has something to do with the axle position.
  • High-quality components. This starts with supposedly very small things, such as cupboard or drawer latches. They have to be made in such a way that they can also withstand rough tracks, so I would not use a standard camping article.
  • Equipment in general. If using it all year round, fresh water supply should be inside and the trailer needs a heating system. I would prefer a heater with the same fuel as the towing rig then for easy supply.
Just some points which come to my mind and I would consider. I was always looking for an offroad trailer. But it would be just a project more or less and I do not really need it. So decided not to buy or built one.

And if we're talking about manufacturers and models, I saw this one for the first time last year at the 4x4 rhein-waal expo. I think it's really well thought out, innovative with lots of cool detail solutions:

Kuckoo Bruno Squaredrop

Well, there are quite a few people here with off-road trailers who I am sure will be happy to share their practical experiences and give you some information to help you make your choice. Let us know which one you've decided on at some point.

Bjoern

Reactions: B.Kuehn

HaVeeBear

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Elkridge, Maryland, United States
First Name
Javier
Last Name
Armendariz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3VWL
Define your "use case"....how are you going to use it and what/who do you want to take a long? ....how much do you want to spend?

Best of luck! fun times ahead :)

B.Kuehn

Rank VI

Pathfinder III

Hamburg, Germany
First Name
Benjamin
Last Name
Kuehn
Member #

Define your "use case"....how are you going to use it and what/who do you want to take a long? ....how much do you want to spend?

Best of luck! fun times ahead :)
at the moment we are looking for something with which you are more independent of the weather than with the roof tent. it should offer protection against wet and cold and a possibility to stay with a child under 2 years for 12 hours independently of the
to be weather. Our max is 20k€

Reactions: El-Dracho

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Teardrop/square drop. Heater either propex or if allowed in your area, diesel.
After last weekend, I am buying a 270 degree awning with walls for my trailer. We had a slight breeze and temp was running a dry -1C. A few of the guys had the walled enclosures with a small propane fire pit. That made for a nice area to cook or hang out in, out of the cold. Two of the guys bring their 6 month old children with them. The enclosure works well for them.

My Square drop has a diesel heater but for a hard sided trailer it was a bit much. It has a 5k rating but a 2k would be better for my small size. The Propex supposedly have a better temp range and a thermostat that actually works. Mine doesn't so, I have to manually turn it on and off.
I camped with an RTT for years. That with a small heater was good until the wind blew. You were comfortable but didn't sleep due to all he noise. With the hard side trailer wind isn't an issue.
As @El-Dracho mentioned, there's quite a few out there to choose from. I prefer to be out of the weather when I want to and be warm when I need to. Mine works exactly how i need it

HaVeeBear

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Elkridge, Maryland, United States
First Name
Javier
Last Name
Armendariz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3VWL
Your weight limit is going to keep you in that teardrop/squaredrop style, if you want it enclosed (sleep in). I don't know what's available in Germany, however. Have you seenthe videos by Must See Tech (https://www.youtube.com/c/MustSeeTech/videos)? They review a lot of different pieces of equipment and frequently feature many European based builds.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
@B.Kuehn Have you found a suitable trailer in the meantime, which meets your requirements?

I just remembered that I had seen this one at the Caravan Salon last year. Maybe worth a closer look?

Reactions: B.Kuehn

B.Kuehn

Rank VI

Pathfinder III

Hamburg, Germany
First Name
Benjamin
Last Name
Kuehn
Member #

Hey, yes we found one. Ahorn Caravans located in Germany is selling a very nice manifactured 750kg trailer. It looks like the patriot camper.

B.Kuehn

Rank VI

Pathfinder III

Hamburg, Germany
First Name
Benjamin
Last Name
Kuehn
Member #

we have now decided on this one. a trailer that is produced in turkey. the processing is good and there were many extras that you can book. the basic equipment was more than others and the price was low. the manufacturer is called Siesta Karavan and the model is ES2. there is also the es3 model, which includes a kitchen. There will be more puctures on my instangram soon. @overlander_5.9

Attachments

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Congrats on the new trailer! Looks awesome. Wish you many great trips with it.

Hope to meet you again soon and take a look at the new toy.