Rank II

Enthusiast III

Portugal
First Name
Darrin
Last Name
Yak
Hi all,

I thought maybe some of you will be interested in my channel below. In short, I bought a 1991 Land Rover Defender 110 back in 2000 and spent quite a few years rebuilding her into an African ready 200TDI before heading off into Africa on various trips, visiting almost every country including the likes of Somalia. The longest trip was 3 years to 45 countries, down the west coast and up the east coast.

Mods include a rebuilt 200TDI, stubby R380, 2006 front axle, 1998 rear axle, full sized intercooler and Ali rad, dual Koni shocks, 130 helper springs in the rear, 90 tank added under the drivers seat, rear wing fuel and water tanks and a C-Tek battery system with dual Optima yellow tops.

Back in 2020 as the pandemic was looming I jumped on what proved to be the last flight into Namibia with some film gear and spent a year there learning to film in the desert/bush. I've since spent another 6 months in Southern Africa and altogether have filmed 9 long series, a mixture of adventure and wildlife, which I have started the process of editing. Series 1 is setting the screen so to speak, a bit about me, and the decision to go to Namibia where I was almost the only tourist in the country for a year.

I'm still very much learning how to edit, but hopefully some of you enjoy my progress so far!! Please do share them if you do, I'm not great at self promotion ;-)

Best to watch in numeric order from 1 then 2 then 3 etc so the story makes sense:
youtube.com/c/roamingyak

Here's my intro video to get you started ;)

(Both pictures are from Angola - jumping away from a snake and camping facing the Skeleton Coast sand dunes across the river in Namibia)

Attachments

Last edited:

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@roamingyak Nice, an other Land Rover!

I can't afford the entry or maintenance fees, but I love me some square body Rovers. That's a fine looking machine there. Seems you've got it outfitted nicely.

roamingyak

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Portugal
First Name
Darrin
Last Name
Yak
Thanks ;-)
I keep her looking quite rough on the outside as going through police checkpoints in Nigeria and Cameroon (for example) the wealthier you look the higher the expectations that you'll be paying for a week or their drunkeness, so its a $400 paint job. But mechanically I keep her in the best shape possible.... I find her pretty cheap to run to be honest, labour is fairly cheap in Africa, parts very expensive.

The square design is so useful and practical ;-)

Reactions: DintDobbs

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

My ultimate bucket list dream is to make my '63 IIa Station Wagon 'safari ready' for Africa and ship it over there, but with a twist. I want to keep it all, rig and equipment, as retro as possible. All of the fancy grille badges would be removed though. Have also heard the color would need to be changed.

20210817_172052.jpg

Reactions: pl626

roamingyak

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Portugal
First Name
Darrin
Last Name
Yak
It's already ready mate, less is more.
A sombrero and a tent and your set :smile:

Paint would be ok in some countries if you wear a big smile and a Hawaiian shirt (ie: not military clothes):smile:

roamingyak

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Portugal
First Name
Darrin
Last Name
Yak
A sense of humor is probably the most important thing ;-)
There are many variables - it depends where you are going, what season, for how long and so forth.
But also a lot of things you can waste your money on. Generally less is more.

I'll do some videos on that kind of thing in the future - its a big subject.
In the meantime I have 25 Terrabytes of 4K footage to edit my way through and turn into at least 10 different series. I'm fairly sure you'll pick up loads from just watching my day to day living and traveling around, albeit its mostly in the deserts of Namibia to start with.

Reactions: Correus

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

Do you have an Instagram account by any chance? There is this little ol' German lady (in her 70s I think) on there that has been traveling all over African in her orange and black zebra striped Toyota for the past several years. She's a minimalist as well.

Better yet, here is her website: lilli-to-go.com | Vollzeitnomadin Inspiratorin Afrikafan

But... I think she posts more pics and such on her IG account.

You she her adventures, mechanical wise, out in the bush.

roamingyak

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Portugal
First Name
Darrin
Last Name
Yak
No, I don't like Instagram, Facebook etc (so I'm a bit hopeless at promoting myself :-)
Thanks though :-)

Last edited:
Reactions: Correus

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

No, I don't like Instagram, Facebook etc (so I'm a bit hopeless at promoting myself :-)
Thanks though :-)
No worries - IG is the only one I readily use to keep in contact with other Rover owners. Don't use FB either, absolutely HATE it.

Still - I encourage you to at least take a look at Lilli's website, I think you'd like it.

Reactions: roamingyak

Sea Diamond

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Sea
Last Name
Diamond
WOW...what an amazing adventure...unfortunately where I live everything is blocked so I can't check out your videos...dang it

But...promote yeself...don't be bashful...what you’re doing is legend!!!

Reactions: roamingyak

roamingyak

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Portugal
First Name
Darrin
Last Name
Yak
WOW...what an amazing adventure...unfortunately where I live everything is blocked so I can't check out your videos...dang it

But...promote yeself...don't be bashful...what you’re doing is legend!!!
Thanks mate ;-) Hopefully you'll get unblocked soon!?

Us Kiwi's are generally a humble lot - it goes against our nature to push ourselves onto others.... hopefully others will organically share my channel if they like it ;)

Reactions: Sea Diamond

roamingyak

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Portugal
First Name
Darrin
Last Name
Yak
For those new to the thread and looking to catch up, here is a list to date:

#2: Should I run run away To film wildlife In Africa - or be locked down at home in Europe?

#3: The Last Tourist To Namibia - arriving on the last flight before the airport is closed.

#4: Filming in the Kaokoveld Desert, Namibia - all the gear, not much idea, it's a harsh place to learn to film!

#5: Losing my Land Rover to the River Gods - a quest for a cold drink goes badly wrong.

#6: Desert Life in Namibia - showing day to day mini adventures when living in this beautiful area.

The next one is due any day now ;-)

Last edited:

roamingyak

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Portugal
First Name
Darrin
Last Name
Yak
Hot off the press - a flash flood arrives in my latest episode :)

If you enjoy it please leave a comment on YT, thanks!
And kindly share it with others who may also do so ;-)

Last edited:

roamingyak

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Portugal
First Name
Darrin
Last Name
Yak
Here's my latest film of my year locked down in Namibia, I hope you enjoy it!

#8 Alone Into The Great Wide Open...

roamingyak

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Portugal
First Name
Darrin
Last Name
Yak
Less than 1% of my viewers are from the USA - come on Americans, pull up your socks and please get sharing! :laughing:
Please find my latest below...

#9 Rocking On In Beautiful Desolation To... Desert Paradise

roamingyak

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Portugal
First Name
Darrin
Last Name
Yak
"Every scene is a screensaver" in my latest film as somebody commented... jump in the passenger seat and enjoy the beauty of Namibia in my latest episode :)

#10 Online At The Remotest Place In Namibia

roamingyak

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Portugal
First Name
Darrin
Last Name
Yak
#11 sees me continue my drum tour of northern Namibia... please let me know what you think...

#11 Green, Orange, Blue, Red (Part 1)