5x10 Utility Trailer Build

• HTML tutorial

Masheen365

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

South GA
Member #

My wife and I have just purchased this brand new 5x10 Down 2 Earth utility trailer. It has a 3500 lbs under sprung axle and weighs 700 lbs dry :fearscream:. Our plans are to build a basic teardrop style trailer while still incorporating some of the side rails. I know this isn't the best look but it will allow us to mount some accessories down the road. Tomorrow we go to the lumber store to buy some walls and insulation to get started.
20170228_162423.jpg

This build will be set up mainly for state parks right now, so I'll have power and water hook ups. We will have AC and a sink included. As of right now that's all we have figured out.

Any pointers or advice is much appreciated.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
There are a lot of builds like this out there, search the u-toob and other forums, I think this looks like a fun thing to do. Post up your progress!
With a 3500 lb axle it would be easy to upgrade to a more off-roadable level in the future as needs change.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using OB Talk mobile app

Masheen365

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

South GA
Member #

Our plan is to make this a pretty heavy duty build. We aren't using any 1/2 inch plywood here, everything is 3/4 or 23/32. I'll be pulling it with an F150 so I'm not terribly concerned about weight.

So far we put 3/4 pressure treated plywood on the base deck and cut out a portion of the side rails for the doors. IMG_4781.jpg
I still need to figure out how to attach the walls. I'm thinking I can use the side rails a bit and then use pocket screws on the exterior walls into the deck. Either way it will have to be on top of the floor.

Reactions: HEYElliott

Masheen365

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

South GA
Member #

My wife has been chugging away on the project while I've been at the fire station and my second job. This is what it looks like now. Back walls are stood up and roof installed. Right now it's all temporary until we get our doors in.
IMG_1866.jpg

The divider wall for the galley will be right about where that shadow is. That's gives us a good 24" of space.

Masheen365

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

South GA
Member #

We've been able to make some pretty big leeps the last couple days.

20170311_071337.jpg

This is it now with the front, sides and part of the roof installed. The window was a $40 house window we found at Lowe's and the doors were an Ebay find. They both hinge on the right side, but that's OK. A 43"x43" door should be plenty big for anything we can dream up. Lol it took some cutting and grinding to make the doors clear what was left of the side rail and tie-down point.

Tomorrow I will take some pictures of the inside. I snapped this one this morning on my way out the door.

Last edited:

SeguineJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Dickson City, PA
Member #

Following. This is outstanding and something I was considering doing! Would love to see an ending budget when its all said and done!

Masheen365

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

South GA
Member #

Worked a little today, but didn't get too strung out. It is Sunday after all.
20170312_165429.jpg
The doors we ordered came shipped with some 1" foam (think pool noodle) that we decided to use as insulation. As far as I can tell the only difference between this and $20/sheet store bought is the radiant barrier.

Two packs of laminate flooring, pretty thin stuff, ran us $40 and looks awesome. Our interior space measures 8' inside so our bed won't cover it all, might as well have a nice floor to look at just inside the door.

20170312_165445.jpg
This is where we chopped the side rail and I ground it down for the bottom of the door to clear.

Last edited:
Reactions: SeguineJ

Masheen365

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

South GA
Member #

We've been at a standstill on the build. My wife and I both started going back to school and still working full time jobs. Plus everyday we get off together we try to spend it enjoying our time. Summer is upon in the south and its over 90 everyday now with the humidity not slacking off. We will get it done, but it's looking like it'll be in time for the fall.

Art

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Woodinville, WA
Member #

Thats an awesome build! Love the idea and the trailer use to do it. Cant wait to see it come together as you get more time!