Atwater, Merced County, California, United States
First Name
Mike&Jen
Last Name
Keith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Motomikeca
I’m running the Randy Ellis Design bar, there was a lot of chatter about difficult install but I had not issues on my power wagon. Other than the poor paint quality the bar is great with excellent fit and finish. I recommend it!

Attachments

Reactions: MarioT'sCJResto

ptgarcia

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Alta Loma, CA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Garcia
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6PSF
I think you’ll be happy with your light bar. I’ve had a Randy Ellis Designs light bar on my Megacab since 2006. The powder coating is a bit faded but its solid as a rock on the front of my 3rd gen.

Attachments

Motomikeca

Rank VIII
Investor

Expedition Master II

Atwater, Merced County, California, United States
First Name
Mike&Jen
Last Name
Keith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Motomikeca
I think you’ll be happy with your light bar. I’ve had a Randy Ellis Designs light bar on my Megacab since 2006. The powder coating is a bit faded but its solid as a rock on the front of my 3rd gen.
Looks great, I figured I’d have to touch it up at some point but for now just enjoying the extra light and transformed front end

CPick

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

West FL
Member #

They're pretty stout and offer a bit of protection as well. Yesterday, a lady in her Escalade backed into the front of my truck in a parking lot. Zero damage to my truck or light bar. Can't say that about her tailgate.......

Reactions: Desert Runner

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
They're pretty stout and offer a bit of protection as well. Yesterday, a lady in her Escalade backed into the front of my truck in a parking lot. Zero damage to my truck or light bar. Can't say that about her tailgate.......
=======================================================================================================
I went full on bumper, but that was because my Silverado 2001-2006.5 classic did not take much to make the stock bumper create a FROWN if seen from the front due ro a lightl hit. No real denting, but the bumper wings would easily take a 4 o'clock angle (instead of horizontal looking from the side) due to the minimal support rods that attached the bumper to the chassis. I have seen a dozen or more trucks with this issue over the years. They just bend too easily.

Was it the mid 80's? or early 90's where Ram truck seemed to suffer the same issue, as the front bumper's seemed to have the strength of a empty soda can. I remember seeing so many trucks with bent bumpers back then. It was after they went more aero styling instead of the older square body generation trucks.

The cost of body work can quickly add up, so the expense on aftermarket upgrades becomes easier to make. Those fancy new LED headlights........sit down $$$..........along with front camera systems etc, If some or all replacement is coming out of pocket, it is really expensive. Now upgraded protection is easier to justify. I also wanted the ability to hang some supplemental driving lights on the front for additional safety after having a few close calls with deer.

I read a story from a off road magizine, where they were driving to a photo shoot, and clipped a deer. The deer bounded away. The damage when inspected was substantial. A headlight bucket was slightly pushed back which in turn caused the front right fender to move slightly back also. When they got out, to inspect, the passenger front door bound into the fender and creased. Total repair was slightly over $2000 Quite a bit for a glancing hit. Compare what the cost would be today with the camera systems, OEM safety features.....sensors etc.

Last edited: