Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Arrived down in the Mark Twain National Forest last week and we're in it deep! 11 point river is fed by the largest spring in a National Forest in America. 220 Million gallons a day flow from this spring. I'll have pictures soon. Working as a Forest Service Volunteer and loving it. Free room and board...lol. Electric, water and sewage for us and all other sites are primitive. We'll be here for a few months without cell service. We have a dedicated phone line and we've already dialed 911 with a Kayak trip suicide. Very sad. Had to coordinate State Police, Sheriff boat units for the body recovery. Woman wondered into camp screaming and upset. Her boy found the body hanging just outside of their camp a few miles upstream. She paddled down to us to report it. Bad situation.
Here is a photo dump. Enjoy and I'll be back soon.
Zim
DSC08111.jpg

DSC08124.jpg
The command center. LOLDSC08003.jpg

85E6C7A9-E422-410C-AF04-2B1A65B22413.jpeg
Yes, camping without a instapot is hard. Ahahahahahahaha

1A59A5D7-E39F-451A-8A85-9887515DCAD2.jpeg

0638C7AC-1E8D-49EE-8634-1A20572F126B.jpeg

DSC08083.jpg

DSC07988.jpg

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Work is not too hard. The Forest Fire Division has loaned me the "Ole Number One" Forest Fire Rig for clearing and it helps. Took another beauty shot of the truck tonight too. Some other pics for consumption. Fire tower is around the corner from me.
Zim

IMG_0977.jpeg

DSC08411.jpg

DSC08389.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Shahn

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Well three months into the Mark Twain National Forest and specifically the Eleven Point River I'm sold on this lifestyle. Lots of work but nothing I can't handle. I think the best part is helping folks answering whatever questions they may have. The people are wonderful. This river offers so much to the outdoorsman that I can't imagine why anyone would have trouble finding something to do. We're here another month or so and then off to Cuivre River State Park in Troy Missouri.
Y'all be safe out there.
Zim
DSC08390.jpg
One of many Fire Towers in the area.

DSC08392.jpg
Forche Lake. (sounds French to me) LOL

DSC08463.jpg

The cold water from the spring (47-52 degrees) mixes well with the heat in the river valley. Morning and evening fog is a given.
DSC08644.jpg

Had to throw in the "poser" shot. LOL
I've been caught loafing off.
Zim

DSC08662.jpg

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Well the camphosting work is over. A few things that forced our decision was "non payment" and an incident the Sunday before we left. A local pair came down to the campground around 11pm and were acting a fool. One of our campers stopped them and told them to behave. They left and then returned to their camp and pulled a gun. Very unusual for this area but alcohol is the culprit.
I decided that a gunfight in a National Forest is something I was not interested in so we packed up and left.
Don't get me wrong, I'm trained and efficient but the thought of taking a life in defense of my life, the life of others and property was something I was not ready to do.

So here we are, back to the Forest at Lake Wappapello in the Mark Twain National Forest. This time a State Park, and one where we can relax and rest after 3 months in a primitive camp. Be here for about 2 weeks.
Zim

DSC08948.JPG

• Wow

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
glad you are OK and didnt have to deal with that escalating...really not worth the hassle or legal ramifications that would certainly come after.

mark twain looks really nice...hope you have a peaceful time there
and as always...LOVE THOSE PICTURES!

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
glad you are OK and didnt have to deal with that escalating...really not worth the hassle or legal ramifications that would certainly come after.

mark twain looks really nice...hope you have a peaceful time there
and as always...LOVE THOSE PICTURES!
Thanks so much. Nice lake and camp here. Very secure and quiet. Three months of living in a forest alone most nights is nice but sometimes it's a bit scary. LOL.
Zim

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
I had been guessing on the milage but I called the oil change shop and they informed me of my starting milage.
I'm shocked. 22k far exceeds what I was thinking. I'm not done yet either. LOL
Zim

• Wow

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
A new day and a new camp. Moved about a mile up the bluff to the main campground. Not a bad place but not many trees to hide under. Trees hate me anyway. Lost my GRMS antenna to one yesterday.
Got my new 10db gain antenna and mounted it to a board temporarily. Upload increased from .94 to 6.85 immediately. Impressive.
Have to do some fine tuning but I'm really happy with it.
Zim
71528850520--B02EDDDD-54D9-486B-A20A-52A5A1187BD7.jpg

IMG-1183.jpg

IMG-1169 (1).jpg

Reactions: Kent R

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Zim, I just now stumbled upon all of this. Yah, a bit late to the game, but I'm in. Nice photo work and a good story. Full time is really taking a leap and I admire those that are willing to cut the strings and do it. Have you considered heading west? And, yes, the reservation system has gone to private contractors and it is a mess. I've talked to many a park ranger and camp hosts and they are dumbfounded by the mess, primarily because their hands are tied. We were recently in Denali, campsites were booked solid, yet, get off the bus and walk around a bit and find that the Teklanika campground had multiple no shows. Nonetheless, on a positive note, you keep on keepin on.