5 freeway to Hwy 101 through Mendocino National Forest

• HTML tutorial

Gettin' Shacked808

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego
Member #

Looking at the best route to go through Mendocino National Forest ending up near Usal rd. Basically I see FH7 that goes through, wondering if anyone had some good ideas of other roads to take or a better path. Please let me know if anyone has any ideas!! Thank you!!

Route_2-8-18_112447_PM.kmz

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: infennonlabs

MBroenkow

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sonoma County, CA
Member #

FH-7 does connect Willows to Covello (pretty round valley but the town is a rural ghetto), but a large portion of this is high altitude and is notorious for holding snow. I took this route in early December and while there was snow, it didn't stop us.

At this time of year, I might consider taking M-10 from Stonyford to the M1, then up to Lake Pilsbury, and out to Potter Valley and Ukiah through either M-6 (sometimes called 'the logging road' for this section) or Road 301.

I hope this helps!

Gettin' Shacked808

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego
Member #

Awesome!!! Thank you for the tips I’ll look at that route too. I’m coming from San Diego so I was looking at mid point that went through. Thanks again!! [emoji903]

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

MBroenkow

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sonoma County, CA
Member #

Hard to say how long but I think that’s a reasonable estimate.

Your original route on FH -7 is the most direct route and should be the fastest if snow isn’t blocking the road. Maybe only 3 or 4 hours? You should call the main office in Willows to ask if the Mendocino Pass is open.

Mikesjku

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Raymond
Member #

Just came back from Usal Brach , came up hwy 1; but left thu Legget & 101 couple recent slides, so some roadwork but was clear.

Reactions: MBroenkow