Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Carlos, CA, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Layhe
Member #

I have a 2014 Trail 4runner with KDSS. I am finally ready to do some mods as I see alot of nice rigs on this forum. I wanted to start with the tires and wheels and that lead into suspension and lifts which I do not know about. I'll start with the wheels. This vehicle will function as 80% freeway/pavement driving and 20% offload dirt, sand, and some snow. No rock climbing or other hardcore adventures for now.

I want to buy tires and wheels that can preserve some of the nice handling and mpg while also having the option to go off road and look cool...not kidding anyone...Just look really cool. I want to balance this between practicality and moderate trail use. These are the three wheels I am thinking about and can use advice if they are worth it and how they perform.

1) Current Rims (33lbs?):

2) TRD SEMA (23lbs?)

3) TRD Beadlock (25lbs?)

4) ATX Series AX202 (33lbs?)

I know the ATX are heavy but they look T!!! and probably only for looks. What do you guys think of the TRD Sema vs TRD Beadlock wheels?

The tire I am thinking about going with is the 275/70/17 BFG AT KO2 but again, I do not want rubing issues or cutting body panels.

I also want to get a lift so this all works together and was wondering 2" or higher? Icon Suspension or other recommendations welcome.

Reactions: Boort

RS Overlander

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bainbridge Island, WA, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Stipe
Member #

I have a 2018 T4R and just installed an Icon Stage 2 2" suspension lift in it. Next week I am having BRG AT KO2 275/70/17s installed along with the alignment. I have decided to stay with the stock rims mainly due to budget . As you noted, I don't want to have to do any mods at this point to accommodate the new tires and all indications I have seen so far indicated that tire size is fine. I referred to the tire fitment guide on the T4R forum for guidance. I will post my build pics in the next couple weeks once the new tires are on, hopefully that will give you a good look.

thejoking__explorer

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Denver Co
Member #

A190466A-DA04-463A-832E-01AD3A7FC598.jpeg I’m running BFG KO2’s in 265/70/17 on trail edition wheels on my stock SR5P and couldn’t be happier. I’ve been all over Moab and Colorado and they have functioned flawlessly off/on-road.

Reactions: Graeman

JayRock

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Carlos, CA, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Layhe
Member #

No rubbing or clearance issues on you stock rig with the 275/70/17s? Good to know they work on the 265/70/17 .

RS Overlander

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Stipe
Member #

No rubbing or clearance issues on you stock rig with the 275/70/17s? Good to know they work on the 265/70/17 .
Tires are in and install / alignment is going down on Thursday morning. I will reply with pics and report then. Here is the rig with the lift and stock tires.IMG_1608.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Graeman

RS Overlander

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Stipe
Member #

Today was the day, tires and alignment complete. Big thanks to the folks at Tru-Line in Bellevue WA for making it happen. I also had spiderco 1.25 in spacer/adapters installed. As I previously noted I went with BFG KO2 275/70/17 and it rubs only on the driver side front. The rub is both on the mud guard and the front fender at the bottom of the wheel well when turning. I removed the mud guards on the front and it still rubs a tiny bit on the body mount ( not enough to change anything) as for the front of the wheel well, I will trim it with the Dremel and that should cure the issue. Everything else is fine. Funny (but understandable) that there is a difference between the front driver and passenger. Here are the pics to prove it. Hope this helps in your decision making. I am so stoked to get out on the trail. 20180503_235537564_iOS.jpg 20180504_024202531_iOS.jpg

Reactions: Boort