4Runner vs Tacoma

• HTML tutorial

Rob Schmidt

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Lake Geneva, WI
Member #

Hey guys thought I would get some input. Currently rocking an '03 4runner I bought in January of this year. Since Ive had it I have probaly put 3 grand into it with repairs( Brakes, rotors, bearing, catalytic converter,etc.) What I am debating is cutting my losses and getting rid of the 4runner and switching to an '05/'06Tacoma. The tacoma will run me about 10k vs the $4500 I paid for the 4runner. If I keep the 4runner, I will be adding a lift and new wheels and tires very soon, if I go the tacoma route ill have to hold off on lift and a new wheel setup. Let me know what you think.

Ryan Matthes

OB Ambassador
Supporter +
Investor

Explorer I

Chapel Hill, NC
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Matthes
Member #

really depends on how you want to use it (meaning in part open bed versus closed cargo). There are soooooo many good options for both - what are your plans? How do you adventure?

Rob Schmidt

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Lake Geneva, WI
Member #

really depends on how you want to use it (meaning in part open bed versus closed cargo). There are soooooo many good options for both - what are your plans? How do you adventure?
Ryan, Thats half the reason im looking at the tacoma. The specific one Im looking at comes with a cap. I like the idea of having the option of closed or open. Would probably mostly go open if I had the tacoma. I mainly just do camping up in northern Wisconsin, only thing I really have to worry about is rain. Would like to, however , start doing some longer trips out west.

Ryan Matthes

OB Ambassador
Supporter +
Investor

Explorer I

Chapel Hill, NC
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Matthes
Member #

is it a short bed 4 door? are you thinking of sleeping in the back or just having awesome cargo access and a different sleeping arrangement?

I've been a fan of the Toyota pick-up for as long as I can remember - I want a tacoma at some point. Currently have a 4R and love it, but that is the wife, the kid, the dog (especially the dog).

Rob Schmidt

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Lake Geneva, WI
Member #

is it a short bed 4 door? are you thinking of sleeping in the back or just having awesome cargo access and a different sleeping arrangement?

I've been a fan of the Toyota pick-up for as long as I can remember - I want a tacoma at some point. Currently have a 4R and love it, but that is the wife, the kid, the dog (especially the dog).
I really like the tacoma as well! it is a shortbed, but i am looking at a long bed as well, I think its only a foot difference in length. both are 4door that is a non-negotiable for me. My dad has a tundra and I love having the bed for easy access. Sounds like you and i are in a similar situation. Wife & dog, mainly the dog haha. But yea , thats where Im stuck, justifying the extra , call it 5 grand to spend on the tacoma when the 4runner is already paid off.

Arizona Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cottonwood, Arizona
Member #

Either the Tacoma you are looking at has issues or your not being realistic on the price. Im thinking an 05-06 is going to run you closer to 15-20. I looked at an 11 and it was 29,000. I looked at a first gen and it was a 10,000 dollar piece of junk.
Anyway, as for which one would be better for you, you'll have to decide that. Look at what you do and figure out what you need. The reason you have had to put 3,000 into repairs into your runner is because you bought it for 4500 bucks. On the positive side, you should be getting close to getting it up to snuff.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

Reactions: Lindenwood

bajatacoguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Portsmouth NH
First Name
John
Last Name
Lomastro
Member #

I am a Tacoma guy in my 5th one but have also owned an 05 4Runner & have one sitting next to my Tacoma currently.

You are over the hump on big items that would need to be fixed at some point and the Taco would be in the same place in a yr or two.... Blah blah blah.. stay in what you have UNLESS as previously stated a truck Bed suits your needs more!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Either the Tacoma you are looking at has issues or your not being realistic on the price. Im thinking an 05-06 is going to run you closer to 15-20. I looked at an 11 and it was 29,000. I looked at a first gen and it was a 10,000 dollar piece of junk.
Anyway, as for which one would be better for you, you'll have to decide that. Look at what you do and figure out what you need. The reason you have had to put 3,000 into repairs into your runner is because you bought it for 4500 bucks. On the positive side, you should be getting close to getting it up to snuff.
Good luck with whatever you decide.
This!

Unless you really, really need or want the open bed, I would honestly just stick with the 4runner.

Reactions: Arizona Overland