Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Franklin, TN, USA
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Stanton
Member #

So we’re getting out of our Wrangler and looking to pick up a used 4Runner.
Looking at used TRD Pro models but the price difference seems to be huge between the Pro and Off Road models.
Can anyone weigh in with their thoughts?

Thanks

Last edited:

Brett L.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Long Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Brett
Last Name
LaForest
Member #

I guess that would depend on whether you want to perform any upgrades after purchase. I went with the Pro simply because I had no plans to immediately upgrade suspension components or tires. I wanted something that I could drive off of the lot and head right to the trail. I also liked the styling of the Pro (front fascia, wheels) compared to the other models that were available. It may be possible to do all of this for less than the price difference but that would depend on how much that is. If you plan to immediately drop money on upgrades then I would suggest you go with one of the OR models.

BillyBeards

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Franklin, TN, USA
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Stanton
Member #

Thanks!
I guess I need to figure out the value of the TRD Pro suspension as opposed to doing it aftermarket in an Off-Road.
Of all the cars I’ve modded suspension was never something I really got into.

Reactions: LostInThought

LostInThought

Rank VI

Influencer I

Dripping Springs, Texas, United States
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Kprotected
Member #

When I bought my Off Road, the functional differences between the TRD-OR and TRD-Pro were the shocks and sunroof (the other differences like wheels, badging, leather seats, etc didn't strike me as "functional"). Mine has A-TRAC, CrawlControl, locking rear diff, and KDSS (which I'm actually pretty happy with).

LostInThought

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Kprotected
Member #

Thanks!
I guess I need to figure out the value of the TRD Pro suspension as opposed to doing it aftermarket in an Off-Road.
Of all the cars I’ve modded suspension was never something I really got into.
It's a $10K price difference on the new ones and doesn't actually give you any lift over a TRD-OR. More than enough to cover any of the Icon suspension kits if you do the work yourself.

Brett L.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Long Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Brett
Last Name
LaForest
Member #

When I bought my Off Road, the functional differences between the TRD-OR and TRD-Pro were the shocks and sunroof (the other differences like wheels, badging, leather seats, etc didn't strike me as "functional"). Mine has A-TRAC, CrawlControl, locking rear diff, and KDSS (which I'm actually pretty happy with).
KDSS is another thing to consider. The Pro does not offer KDSS as an option. I have no experience with it but those who have it seem to be pretty happy with it.

BillyBeards

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Franklin, TN, USA
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Stanton
Member #

KDSS is another thing to consider. The Pro does not offer KDSS as an option. I have no experience with it but those who have it seem to be pretty happy with it.
Is the KDSS basically like the sway bar disconnect on the Jeep? That's kinda what I got from the little bit of research I did.

Also they all seem to hold their value so well it's almost seems smarter to buy new than something like two years old.

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
I like the 4runners, but the tax to join the club is just so high...Like others have said, if you plan on doing any upgrades, I wouldn't pay the difference for the Pro model. Kind of like a wrangler rubicon. If you want to keep it all factory, it may be worth it. If you are going ti upgrade things, the lesser model is probably the better option.

Maverick9110E

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
Seems to be the same story with all the high end model options offered by most manufactuers. If you're going to plan on modding it to your preferences you can usually do it for less with a lesser option package. Its sort of like buidling a house in my opinon. Upgrade what makes sense from the factory that would be too costly or not worth the time/money on higher packages. Things like Lockers, gear ratio's, moon roofs, etc. Things that are a PITA to change or upgrade later would be the options worth buying. These days even just suspension upgrades have manufactuers asking for a huge price increase upfront when the same or better equipment is offered for less on the aftermarket.

Case in point... Ford just announced their new Tremor Package for the Ranger for next year. Its something like a 10k increase over the FX4 model. For what you are getting, you could EASILY do better on the aftermarket for much less money.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Seems to be the same story with all the high end model options offered by most manufactuers. If you're going to plan on modding it to your preferences you can usually do it for less with a lesser option package. Its sort of like buidling a house in my opinon. Upgrade what makes sense from the factory that would be too costly or not worth the time/money on higher packages. Things like Lockers, gear ratio's, moon roofs, etc. Things that are a PITA to change or upgrade later would be the options worth buying. These days even just suspension upgrades have manufactuers asking for a huge price increase upfront when the same or better equipment is offered for less on the aftermarket.

Case in point... Ford just announced their new Tremor Package for the Ranger for next year. Its something like a 10k increase over the FX4 model. For what you are getting, you could EASILY do better on the aftermarket for much less money.
Agreed I started with a z71 with fender damage and ended up with a bison before there was such a thing, for way less than even a base zr2 would have cost. And I have way more suspension options to choose from.

LostInThought

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Kprotected
Member #

Is the KDSS basically like the sway bar disconnect on the Jeep? That's kinda what I got from the little bit of research I did.

Also they all seem to hold their value so well it's almost seems smarter to buy new than something like two years old.
The problem is finding one 2 years old... I'm still getting weekly emails from my dealership asking if I would consider trading mine. Crazy. Never had a dealership asking to buy a vehicle back, but they have more buyers than used vehicles.

KDSS is similar to a disconnect, but being hydraulically actuated, it isn't an on/off sort of thing, rather it just reacts when it senses "wheel drop", keeping rubber/weight on the trail. You'd get (a little?) more flex by removing the sway bars entirely, but at the cost of stability on pavement. KDSS also limits you to ~3 inches of lift, but with 275's, you start from ~10" of clearance on a fairly short wheelbase.

LostInThought

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Kprotected
Member #

I like the 4runners, but the tax to join the club is just so high...Like others have said, if you plan on doing any upgrades, I wouldn't pay the difference for the Pro model. Kind of like a wrangler rubicon. If you want to keep it all factory, it may be worth it. If you are going ti upgrade things, the lesser model is probably the better option.
That was my thinking exactly - I bought the cheapest model that included the rear locker, KDSS, A-TRAC, and CrawlControl.

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
So we’re getting out of our Wrangler and looking to pick up a used 4Runner.
Looking at used TRD Pro models but the price difference seems to be huge between the Pro and Off Road models.
Can anyone weigh in with their thoughts?

Thanks
I chose to go with the SR5 model knowing that I was going to add several items to it through the year. Besides tires and lifts, I installed a slimline front bumper and winch. This type of bumper kept the shape of the front. However, you must cut the bumper where the TRD face plate is.

ryanorr280

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wewoka, Seminole County, Oklahoma, United States
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #

We decided on off road model, the pro wasn’t worth it for us. I do REALLY miss heated seats, and automatic headlights. But, those were the only 2 options that we really wanted when we bought ours back in 2018. I bought the cheapest version I could to get the rear locker, as I knew I would change suspension and tires anyways.

JLLT4R

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Seattle, WA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Levin
Member #

You may already have all the responses you need, but hey, what’s a community for??? I had a 2-door JK, and ended up buying a 2017 TRD Off Road. 45k miles on it now, and I’m thrilled with my choice. It has KDSS and heated seats. The TRD models (Pro and Off Road) also have mechanical transfer case, vs electric switch (I believe) on the non-TRD models. I like the lever better. Overall, I’ve spent more than the difference to the Pro in upgrades to mine, but I got to pick each item for my purpose. The Pro is a nice package, but I’m really happy with my project. It’s also my daily driver. Feel free to reach out if you have any specific questions. Cheers

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
We decided on off road model, the pro wasn’t worth it for us. I do REALLY miss heated seats, and automatic headlights. But, those were the only 2 options that we really wanted when we bought ours back in 2018. I bought the cheapest version I could to get the rear locker, as I knew I would change suspension and tires anyways.
You can add the heated seat apparatus to your rig. We did it for our SR5 and have been thankful since.

BillyBeards

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Franklin, TN, USA
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Stanton
Member #

I have the sr5 pro it has everything that the to has. Heated seats,sun roof gear box for 4 wheel crawl control the works. No kdss. I did not want it. An much cheaper than the pro am keeps the same appreciation. U can always do the pro front later. View attachment 170923
I didn't know there was an SR5 Pro. What year is it?