4Runner suspensions

• HTML tutorial

KY JKU Recon

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Kentucky
Member #

I own a JK but I am working on a build of a 2014 4Runner for my son. He has a fairly stock 2014 SR5 4Runner and we are looking to add a suspension lift. He is wanting to be able to Overland and do some general off roading and the stock suspension just doesnt have enough clearance or travel to be able to follow my JK. Compared to Jeep lifts the options for the 4Runner are confusing for me. Should we go with a traditional 0-3’ lift or a long travel 2’ lift? We have looked at both the Icon stage 2/3 as well as a Total Chaos 2’ long travel suspension. Biggest question is which suspension to go with and what other options (shocks, etc..) do we need with either lift? If anyone has experience with either lift I would love to hear your experiences and any pros/cons. Thanks in advance.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Derek Paulsen
I own a JK but I am working to build out a 2014 4Runner for my son. He has a fairly stock 2014 SR5 4Runner and we are looking to add a suspension lift. Compared to Jeep lifts the options for 4Runner are confusing to me. Should we use a traditional 0-3.0’ lift or a long travel lift of 2’? Have looked at both the Icon stage 2/3 and a total chaos 2’ long travel suspension with replacement shocks. Biggest question is which to go with and what other options (shocks, etc..) do we need with either lift? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Really depends on what the plans are for the truck. on my '06 I went with the OME BP-51 setup, SPC Uppers, TRD Rims and slightly taller KO2's for tires. Love the way the truck handles and can still adjust the ride if needed as I build out. Handles great on the hwy and on the trails.

Boort

KY JKU Recon

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Kentucky
Member #

He is wanting to do Overlanding and general off roading. We are planning a trip to a Ouray and Moab for next summer and do off roading in the Southeast now. His 4Runner has trouble with clearance that my JKU Rubicon Recon 2.5’ AEV lift with 35’s doesnt. We would be looking to upgrade tires as well but would like to not have to regear it if possible. Have read good things about traditional lifts and long travel for 4Runners just don’t have anyone near us who has built a 4Runner rig. Looking for any pros/cons that people have for either type of lift.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

He is wanting to do Overlanding and general off roading. We are planning a trip to a Ouray and Moab for next summer and do off roading in the Southeast now. His 4Runner has trouble with clearance that my JKU Rubicon Recon 2.5’ AEV lift with 35’s doesnt. We would be looking to upgrade tires as well but would like to not have to regear it if possible. Have read good things about traditional lifts and long travel for 4Runners just don’t have anyone near us who has built a 4Runner rig. Looking for any pros/cons that people have for either type of lift.
When I was up in Ouray this summer I had no problems on any of the trails I road, Though Was with friends running a JKU on 35's so we took her Jeep on the harsher trails since she had the better equipment and had driven them before. (we were mostly running the around Dawn, Dusk, and Night so having the experience and her 20" Rigid light bar really helped.) I'm not speaking from any personal experience but I'd not want to go over 33's w/o re-gearing the 5th gen

For overlanding I'd suggest call Ben Swain at Slee Offroad 888-4X4-Slee or email info@sleeoffroad.com. They know Toyotas and offroad for the Colorado Rockies.
Afterwards if you are still thinking about longtravel get in touch with Filthy Motor sports 720-545-2279 these guys are into rock crawling and desert racing and deal with all makes.

Both were helpful in narrowing down what was right for me when I was looking at the choices for my 06 T4R.

Boort

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

4runnner lifts aren't the most simple. There are a lot of rabbit trails, I'm going to try to summarize the basics, and link some good resources for further reading.

Some good resources:
4th gen specific (not your sons gen, but these 2 gens share a lot in common, and these threads have a lot more well written context for general lift info)
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/102272-4th-gen-suspension-options-faq.html
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/51742-lift-tire-central-pics-post-em-up.html
5th gen specific
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/165065-5th-gen-4runner-lift-buyers-guide.html
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/92594-modifications-write-ups-quick-links-faqs.html

"Traditional 0-3" lifts" are split into spacer lifts and actual suspension lifts. Lots of options for both. Biggest things you need to know are once you go over 2-3" you will need to upgrade the UCA's as well, in order to maintain correct caster angles. Supposedly 5th gens (what your son has) aren't quite as sensitive in this regard as 4th gens and Tacomas. I know of guys who have lifted their 5th gens to a full 3" without upgrading UCA's but that seems to be a stretch. This is a long argued topic, do some research.
You can relatively easily lift up to 3" with one of the readily available options out there and spend a few hundred bucks to $1500, or up to 5-6K for a really fancy setup. For some additional context, I did a complete suspension upgrade for my 4th gen using all dobinson parts, including new UCA's, for about $1600 total. This kit is virtually the same as the 5th gen version.
Lifting 1-2" is pretty straightforward, but once you go over 2ish, you may run into some additional issues:
-front and or rear swaybar needing longer links
-front swaybar making contact with coils, needing a relocation bracket
-adjustable panhard bar to straighten out the rear axle
-Rear coil making contact with gas tank at full droop
-different combinations of vibration issues in the drivetrain, some fixable, some not. Less of an issue on 5th gens, but people occasionally deal with this.
Most of these variables have pretty straightforward fixes, but your mileage may vary, and they are variables that can pop up. Again, not a PROBLEM, but supposedly these complications are not what Jeeps deal with when lifting, so be aware of the variables and research before hand.

"Long travel kits" This gets to the point where I don't know as much. I feel like if you have to ask if you need a regular or long travel setup, you probably DO NOT need a long travel setup. I know they're way more expensive, lots more capability esp for high speed desert stuff. I don't really think these setups are necessary for what most of us do. There's tons of info in the links I posted, where people who actually know what they're talking about share.

Tires: since you're coming from a Jeep, its important to note 4runners do NOT take kindly to tire upsizing the same way Jeeps do. Anything over a 33"ish tire requires hammering, cutting, and welding. Totally possible, there's dudes out there running 35's and loving it, but it requires a lot more work than your Jeep did to fit them.

I recommend talking to Mike at Dobinson's USA as well. Great company based in Australia, with excellent products. Dobinsons, Total Chaos, Icon, Fox, OME (Old Man Emu), Toytec are the biggest names I see being mentioned well for 4runner lifts. I'd def spend some time on the Toyota forums researching, also contact a few offroad shops like others mentioned who know Toyotas. Talking to the companies themselves will be a tossup, I know Mike at Dobinsons is super accessible via email, phone, or forums, supposedly Icon is a bit like Gobi when it comes to customer service, and for OME, talk to Wheeler's Offroad. Wheelers has been around for a long time, and they are SUPER knowledgable for toyotas and the different options for lifting. I've talked to their techs multiple times around ordering suspension parts for my old tacoma and current 4runner, and they were able to help me quickly and efficiently.

Everything I laid out is super general context for the topic of "lifting a toyota 4runner". I'm sure a lot of it doesn't even apply to you, but I find context for decisions like this help me a lot. Hope this is helpful! I know 4th gens better than I do 5th gens, but my brother in law has a 5th gen, and I've learned a lot about them in the past couple of years too. LMK if you have any specific questions and I'd be happy to help or point you in the direction of an answer.

KY JKU Recon

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Kentucky
Member #

This is really helpful information. Thank you for the links and the contacts to check out. I am moving away from doing a long travel suspension after reading more and talking to the folks at a local shop that have done work on my JKU. Given what he will likely use it for a traditional lift is probably the best way to go. Thanks again.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

I own a JK but I am working on a build of a 2014 4Runner for my son. He has a fairly stock 2014 SR5 4Runner and we are looking to add a suspension lift. He is wanting to be able to Overland and do some general off roading and the stock suspension just doesnt have enough clearance or travel to be able to follow my JK. Compared to Jeep lifts the options for the 4Runner are confusing for me. Should we go with a traditional 0-3’ lift or a long travel 2’ lift? We have looked at both the Icon stage 2/3 as well as a Total Chaos 2’ long travel suspension. Biggest question is which suspension to go with and what other options (shocks, etc..) do we need with either lift? If anyone has experience with either lift I would love to hear your experiences and any pros/cons. Thanks in advance.
To start, you will probably be able to get quicker and more complete answers on the 4Runner forum.

That said, complete long-travel systems are usually very expensive. Honestly, there are several various spring-and-shock replacement systems that will perform absolutely fine for around $1000 or less. For really aggressive trails, that LT money would be much better spent on a locker (or two), skids, higher-clearance bumpers, and of course tires.

Basic T4R.org Starting Page
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/208458-you-new-prospective-5th-gen-4runner-owner-need-help-searching-start-here.html

Lift Buyer's Guide!
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/165065-5th-gen-4runner-lift-buyers-guide.html

Last edited:

sellsn01

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Edison, ohio
Member #

I just ordered the Old Man Emu BP51 3” lift for my 4runner. They seem very high quality and I ordered them from OK4WD.com they came with SPC upper control arms which is supposed to help with larger wheels and better travel. With a 5% discount code it was 2675.01 shipped. And I believe that to be the best deal for the money. They are coil overs with remote reservoirs front and back. https://ok4wd.com/suspension/lift-kits/old-man-emu-bp-51-suspension-kit-for-2010-toyota-4runner

Last edited:

KY JKU Recon

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Kentucky
Member #

Thanks a lot for the link. That was one of the better articles I have found on 4Runner suspension options. After all the comments from everyone I am leaning away from the long travel suspension and more toward a OME, Fox, Bilstein or Icon lift. Thanks again.

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

Louisiana Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Ventress, Louisiana
Member #

Thanks a lot for the link. That was one of the better articles I have found on 4Runner suspension options. After all the comments from everyone I am leaning away from the long travel suspension and more toward a OME, Fox, Bilstein or Icon lift. Thanks again.
I have the 3” OME spring and shock set. The nitro shocks, not BP51. I also used a toytec diff drop kit and spc upper control arms. I have been satisfied with handling and weight carrying. I plan to get stiffer springs as I add front and rear bumpers and winch. It has worked out so far and allowed me to run a 285/70(33”) tire with no rubbing or body/fender mods. It appeared, in my research, that all of the exotic shocks were “rebuildable”, and periodically required rebuilding. I wanted something that I could install and forget, like factory suspension components. I may end up with a long travel or adjustable dual reservoir supertastic fragalistic set up one day, but the OME setup i currently run has checked all the boxes for me.

Tuan

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Houston, TX, USA
Member #

I'm having the OME BP51's installed as we speak. What are your settings for preloaded, compression, and rebound? I'm all stock now with a 5th gen trd offroad. I too have the SPC uca's. What are your opinions on ride quality on/off road?

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

You might talk to the Expedition Overland folks about Icon and 33s. That is the setup they run on their 4Runner. Some of them drop into these forums from time to time.

They seem to be able to afford to do whatever they want, and they chose Icon. Even though they are sponsored by Icon, they still have choices, and chose them. That’s gotta mean something...

James

Reactions: Tuan

Joel S

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Boulder, CO, USA
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8OJK
To add to that, icon was doing a 20% off deal this fall, which makes pricing much nicer for suspension. I’m waiting to see if they have something for that this spring

Reactions: Radar

Tuan

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Houston, TX, USA
Member #

I've had a 2018 4runner TRD Off Road for about 6 months running stock the whole time. The OME BP-51 suspension lift is my first mod. The coilovers came at 20mm out of the box. The manual suggested that it be set at 5mm for stock with no load. I ended up doing 7mm. This helped me maintain a minimal rake with a gain of 2.5 inches in clearance. The compression was set at 4 and rebound at 6 from the factory for the front coilovers and 3 and 6 respectively for the rear shocks. I played around with the settings for about 2 hours and ended up sticking with 3 compression all the way around and 6 rebound all the way around. This seems to suit my wife's daily driving needs (mostly highway) The ride is smooth and feels more balanced when cornering and turning. Less body roll and nose dive. I won't be able to take her out on the trails until March. I'll keep tinkering with the settings more as we go along.