Enthusiast III

Philadelphia, PA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Jones Jr
Member #

Yes the trail has a rear locker.
You're making my life pretty expenses with these choices. I like the fact that the 4Runner has a rear Locker in the trail Edition I'm just trying to figure out whether it's worth it or not to bump out of it by 5 grand to get that version. Also from everyone's opinion here who wants to try them in. What is your opinion on buying a used 4Runner? Is it better to buy it straight off the lot brand new or acquire for a cheaper price, or acquire it for a cheaper price with a few miles on it. Trying to wait out the pros and cons since I'm trying to position myself for next year to purchase one if we survive 2020.

I want to be able to take it from the city to the outdoors. As I like to say," the adventure begins where the road ends."

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

I don’t think KDSS is standard on 4R TRD OR. I know the OR does have the rear locker, crawl control, and multi-terrain select, as well as the manual 4x shift lever (as opposed to the electronic shifter). I’m sure there are other differences, but I don’t recall. Download the e-brochure for a full list. I have used the locker and crawl control on a few occasions. Glad I had them. How much it’s worth is up to you.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
How much experience driving off road do you have? Kdss, Crawl control...these are just names for high end traction control/dynamic suspension systems. If you have little experience driving moderate to hard terrain, then yes, get it. These systems do very well. The down side is, your not going to learn how to drive in these conditions. I have an SR5. To do over I would have gotten something with a taller tire (TRD OR). Swapping to bigger tires is easy but you really want the collision detection recalibrated. None of the dealers near me will do it, something about liability. The tire size I want to go to is the same the TRD runs. I didn't want the higher end suspension because I prefer to build my own. No reason to buy something I would be replacing. I will upgrade the truck next year.

Reactions: Mikeblack

Mikeblack

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Philadelphia, PA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Jones Jr
Member #

How much experience driving off road do you have? Kdss, Crawl control...these are just names for high end traction control/dynamic suspension systems. If you have little experience driving moderate to hard terrain, then yes, get it. These systems do very well. The down side is, your not going to learn how to drive in these conditions. I have an SR5. To do over I would have gotten something with a taller tire (TRD OR). Swapping to bigger tires is easy but you really want the collision detection recalibrated. None of the dealers near me will do it, something about liability. The tire size I want to go to is the same the TRD runs. I didn't want the higher end suspension because I prefer to build my own. No reason to buy something I would be replacing. I will upgrade the truck next year.
I have experience from the army driving the HMMVEES everywhere. For the most part I would consider getting a the Trail off road. but with your break down, in your reply I don't need training wheels, time to expand and take on new challenges. also the price point is a lot cheaper too with the SR5. I wish tho that Toyota would give the 4runner a bit more payload. it seems a bit low for the size of the SUV. I Do like the rear locker but Toyota likes to keep its packages fixed.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

I have experience from the army driving the HMMVEES everywhere. For the most part I would consider getting a the Trail off road. but with your break down, in your reply I don't need training wheels, time to expand and take on new challenges. also the price point is a lot cheaper too with the SR5. I wish tho that Toyota would give the 4runner a bit more payload. it seems a bit low for the size of the SUV. I Do like the rear locker but Toyota likes to keep its packages fixed.
I personally think such statements scream ignorance. If you can control the brakes individually for each wheel from the driver’s seat, that’s pretty impressive. The computer on the 4Runner can detect when a wheel starts spinning, apply brakes to just that wheel, and send traction to the other wheels. There is a LifeStyle Overland video where they could not gain any traction over volcanic rock. Even had issues with the winch. Start at around 11:00..

Put on crawl control, and it got them out. I just don’t think many people really understand what the vehicle is doing. Since it’s controlling the throttle and brakes, it must be a crutch, right?

Bama_Kiwi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Christchurch, New Zealand
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Frank
Member #

If it were me, I would get the most basic package available that meets my needs, saving money up front. Then I would add things like a rear differential locker as I determine I need them. Especially since there's no shortage of options in the aftermarket for 4runners.

Also, dollar for dollar, feature for feature, buying used is almost always the way to go to avoid that immediate depreciation hit that comes with buying new.

Reactions: Monty_moose_gen2

Yroundrdn

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Ben
Having just purchased a TDR OR, I highly recommend one. Being an old school O/R guy I thought I’d never use crawl control nor the Multi-train but since it was there I tried it and it truly is amazing how much it helps. Especially when you have to back down the hill. My thought was get a stock truck that can do everything I need plus more and keep the warranty in tact. It’s like the difference between a Rubicon and a standard wrangler. In the end you spend much more and can end up with all kinds of missed matched problems and voided warranties. That’s my two cents and I don’t regret it one bit. 

Reactions: Tundracamper

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I'd absolutely go lockers. I've got the fancy traction control that brakes the spinning tire. It's good for wheel slip on a dry sandy climb, but not good enough for a wet muddy climb.

The rear elocker is priceless. Will be adding an autolocker to my F250's front axle soon.

renol

Rank I

Traveler I

Chicago, IL, USA
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Lynn
Member #

Go with the higher package. The locking rear will be worth the additional 5K alone. My numbers are probably off, but I believe purchasing and installing a locker will run nearly 5K and as you probably know or have been told already, a locking diff is worth every penny when off road.

LostInThought

Rank VI

Influencer I

Dripping Springs, Texas, United States
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Kprotected
Member #

If you had to pic one, which one would you get. Is the kdss system work it for the price tag?
I have an OR, rear-locker, KDSS, crawl-control - very happy with it. Local Toyota dealership emails me once a month asking if I'd like to sell it. No way. I've posted before on KDSS, within limits it's a best of both worlds between sway-bar and no-sway-bar. Great stability on the road and very fast response on the trail for more flex than a sway bar would allow. Lockers and crawl control are pretty self explanatory, but if you have questions, feel free to ask.

Reactions: Mikeblack

Tango Tiger

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DFW, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Taylor
Member #

I went through the same dilemma in the months leading up to purchasing my 4Runner. I opted for the TRD OR mostly because it came with the locker. KDSS is not standard on the TRD OR, at least it wasn’t the last time I checked. Is crawl control necessary? No. Will it get you out of everything? No. However, as the video above demonstrates, crawl control is another tool in the arsenal that may work when other options don’t.

Reactions: Tundracamper

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Crawl control is just trail cruise control.

We used to have manual transmissions and oversized IAC's for that.

ryanorr280

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wewoka, Seminole County, Oklahoma, United States
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #

We bought the Trd off-road new after shopping and finding that, With low miles it really wasn’t cheaper used (I was looking for less than 20k miles).

I went with the locker in case I need it, I was against the crawl control “nannies” as I saw it. But, it came with it. After using crawl control once to see how it worked, I like having the feature. Not for me, but, what if my inexperienced wife has to drive us out? Or someone whe helps in an accident where I can’t drive? It will pretty much drive itself where you point it in crawl control. Crawl control won’t teach any driving skill, but it might get you out if an unskilled driver has to take the wheel...

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

It depends on how much you are willing to modify the vehicle.

I bought a new 2016 TRD Pro because I thought I wanted an all-stock vehicle with those features. Then the gearhead in me came back--the one that I thought left with my previous built vehicles. Knowing what I know now--specifically about my renewed willingness and interest in modifications--I'd have bought an SR5 and put my own diffs and such in it. Obviously, I paid an extra 5k over the Trail for the brown paint, but the Trails were still running about 6k over the SR5s at the time (31-32 vs 37-38k). 6k Would have certainly paid for diffs (including diff gears) wheels and tires, and a few more deliberate accessories like on board air.

Last edited:

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Crawl control is just trail cruise control.

We used to have manual transmissions and oversized IAC's for that.
And anitlock brakes are for people that are too aggressive on the brakes! Who needs em?

I don’t think you understand how crawl control works. Toyota clearly does a terrible job marketing this great feature. If your manual transmission can control the speed of each wheel independently by applying variable brake pressure to each wheel, that’s quite impressive. Have you ever used it in a tricky situation? It can do things no driver can do. If you wanna argue which is better, that’s fine. But to just call it trail cruise control is not accurate.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

For those that are actually interested in how crawl control works...

And a pretty decent article that explains it more than just “cruise control’...