4Runner Owners Registry

• HTML tutorial

Brick Sprickly

Rank III

Advocate II

Any big plans for it?
Hah gotta be careful with that, might go broke just thinking about it!

In all honesty, yes I would think so. Going to get this one for sure:

2014+ 4Runner Slimline Hybrid front bumper – CUSTOMIZE YOUR OWN – Southern Style OffRoad

Also have been looking to remodel the hatch area to allow better storage or build some lightweight drawers or something. I have the sliding deck so maybe something I can mount directly to that. I've done a few little things already; LaminX fog lenses, Boat horn swap, but I think one of the reasons I went for the Pro was because a lot of the 'big' things were already spoken for on that model. The only thing I'm not 100% on board with yet is the FJ style Pro roof rack. I see it being functional and all, but doesn't have nearly the same surface area as the popular aftermarket brands. There is no 'floor' in it either, just the Toyo cross bars, of which you get 4. I'm hoping that maybe someone will make a bold on mesh floor for that rack or something similar, if it ever becomes available I'll buy it without thinking. Maybe talk to a metal fab shop about making a custom one?

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

Joel S

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Boulder, CO, USA
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8OJK
Hah gotta be careful with that, might go broke just thinking about it!

In all honesty, yes I would think so. Going to get this one for sure:

2014+ 4Runner Slimline Hybrid front bumper – CUSTOMIZE YOUR OWN – Southern Style OffRoad

Also have been looking to remodel the hatch area to allow better storage or build some lightweight drawers or something. I have the sliding deck so maybe something I can mount directly to that. I've done a few little things already; LaminX fog lenses, Boat horn swap, but I think one of the reasons I went for the Pro was because a lot of the 'big' things were already spoken for on that model. The only thing I'm not 100% on board with yet is the FJ style Pro roof rack. I see it being functional and all, but doesn't have nearly the same surface area as the popular aftermarket brands. There is no 'floor' in it either, just the Toyo cross bars, of which you get 4. I'm hoping that maybe someone will make a bold on mesh floor for that rack or something similar, if it ever becomes available I'll buy it without thinking. Maybe talk to a metal fab shop about making a custom one?
I’m currently working on designing a modular cargo area system in solidworks, I’ll keep you in the loop if you want plans once I finish it.

I’m super jealous of that color. It looks soo good!

Reactions: Brick Sprickly

Brick Sprickly

Rank III

Advocate II

I’m currently working on designing a modular cargo area system in solidworks, I’ll keep you in the loop if you want plans once I finish it.

I’m super jealous of that color. It looks soo good!
That would be wonderful, thank you. Send me whatever you have when you get it done and I'll owe you one.

I'm not much of a designer myself, but I can build off of plans and I really love working on projects like that. Hard to stomach shelling out $1,500+ for aftermarket drawer systems!

Jeremiah Johnson

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Dallas, OR, USA
Member #

Here's my 94 3.0 I picked it up for $1,100 a few years ago and until last year I gave it zero maintenance. We were buying a new house and moving when I got this so I put it straight to work and never slowed down long enough to even change the oil. Ha Ha When the bearing for the cooling fan siezed up I used the Sawzall to cut the fan support off to make room for the electric fan from a Crown Vic. Then I swapped in a Cadillac alternator to power the new fan. I'm not sure what's been done to lift the rear but the previous owners have tried to address the 4Runner sag and wound up overcompensating. Then the front torsion springs needed to be cranked as tight as they could go to level it. I used 3 inch ball joint spacers and then I was able to relax the torsion spring tensioners to about half their travel. I like that because it will allow me to compensate for any weight added to the rig, bumpers, winches, etc. There are OME shocks under it of the plus-length variety but I'm not sure how much longer, at least an inch, maybe 2. So I can't tell you how high it's lifted but I'd guess 2-3 inches?? This is a worn out pair of Mickey Thompson ATz that came with these wheels I bought. The wheels were an attempt to put lipstick on a pig but then I found that I couldn't use the front center caps due to the hubs sticking out. For now I'm using these tires because the DuraTracs the 4Runner came with were getting up to 3 flats a week. I aligned the front end after putting all new bushings in the control arms and new bushings and links on the stabilizer bar. I'm happy with the alignment because as I drive I'm slowly removing the cupping that the previous owner had worn into these tires. I've added a CB for trail comms, but so far that's about it for mods. Note the brown paint over the rear wheel arch? There was about a 1/4" of bondo there and it was cracked all throughout like a dry creek bed. I sanded it all away and got the metal primed before the cancer claimed it. I'm wondering if this was some sort of an artifact from the factory because there was no sign of body damage under the bondo and this spot is exactly opposite of the fuel door on the other side. This is a temporary repair until the weather clears and I can paint it Calvary Blue.

Brick Sprickly

Rank III

Advocate II

Nice color. [emoji41] [emoji3]
Thank you :grinning:

Yeah I saw that color first on this video as well as the off road demonstration there and I was sold.

Back when my wife and I were stationed in Italy, we had bought a very used 1996 Rav4 (like 260k miles on it), in a very similar blue to the 4Runner I have now, just as a daily commuter. That thing was the most reliable vehicle I'd ever owned for the three years we had it. When I showed her the photo I took at the dealer of the 4R, the nostalgia sold her instantly!

Before that, and after with the Jeep Patriot I had, I've only ever had black vehicles. Nice to have some color back in my life haha

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Thank you :grinning:

Yeah I saw that color first on this video as well as the off road demonstration there and I was sold.

Back when my wife and I were stationed in Italy, we had bought a very used 1996 Rav4 (like 260k miles on it), in a very similar blue to the 4Runner I have now, just as a daily commuter. That thing was the most reliable vehicle I'd ever owned for the three years we had it. When I showed her the photo I took at the dealer of the 4R, the nostalgia sold her instantly!

Before that, and after with the Jeep Patriot I had, I've only ever had black vehicles. Nice to have some color back in my life haha
Maybe the blue color will not show 'trail pinstriping' like it does on black.[emoji12][emoji41]

Brick Sprickly

Rank III

Advocate II

Maybe the blue color will not show 'trail pinstriping' like it does on black.[emoji12][emoji41]
Ugh, only time will tell on that. My old Jeep was very stripey, mostly on the roof. Dealer didn't see it when I traded it so whatever haha.

Speaking of similar, I had to take the 4Runner to the dealer today to have them address a paint issue on the lower hatch; I'm getting some chipping all over the bottom 1/3 of that panel but I can't for the life of me figure out how it happened. Only owned it a month. Usually chipping like that happens in the front. Almost looks like someone did a burnout close to my rear end and kicked rocks everywhere into it.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Ugh, only time will tell on that. My old Jeep was very stripey, mostly on the roof. Dealer didn't see it when I traded it so whatever haha.

Speaking of similar, I had to take the 4Runner to the dealer today to have them address a paint issue on the lower hatch; I'm getting some chipping all over the bottom 1/3 of that panel but I can't for the life of me figure out how it happened. Only owned it a month. Usually chipping like that happens in the front. Almost looks like someone did a burnout close to my rear end and kicked rocks everywhere into it.
Mmm......keep an eye on that. That is a unusual place. I haven't heard of paint issues in that color.

I have enough time under my belt to remember MOPAR purple flaking/peeling off in the 70's. Also GM Pickups on 2x times having massive peeling issues on their pickup trucks in the 90's for their white option. I think silver had problems also.

The one thing I have seen across manufactors was...Orange peel. This was a QC issue brought about by the FED'S mandating new paint formulas (EPA), which caused all sorts of issues. I still see it in vehicles I have tested. Although nowadays it is limited to spots, rather than whole body panels. Where there are issues still is the clear coat not being buffed at the assembly plants, or at the regional storage depots. If it makes it to the dealer lots, I think you can demand a total body shop detail if it is on a vehicle you want. Contingent of course on purchase and before the final paperwork signing. I have seen this on a couple of 80 thousand $ cars. Very surprising even though they were prototypes or test mules that were past the engineer stage, where final evaluations were being done for....fit n finish.

That BLUE is so sweet. It really stands out. Not having a metallic base is also a nice option. It will be interesting to see if it has OXIDATION problems in a few years. I love RED, but the sun here in the desert SW really fades that color, unless you garage it. So it is a....no go....for me.

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM

Ouch! Hope you figure ot out and the fix doesn't cost too much

Brick Sprickly

Rank III

Advocate II

Ouch! Hope you figure ot out and the fix doesn't cost too much
Ah there's the decent thing - Dealer told me today that since it's within 90 days or purchase I get free paint touch ups from the body shop there so I'll take it in next week. It's a really good peppering. I don't expect it to look perfect after they're done but I'm not even really bothered by it, just inconvenienced. I mean, it's gonna get messed up a bit no matter what I do, right? Don't want to be paranoid all the time and not have fun.

Brick Sprickly

Rank III

Advocate II

Mmm......keep an eye on that. That is a unusual place. I haven't heard of paint issues in that color.

I have enough time under my belt to remember MOPAR purple flaking/peeling off in the 70's. Also GM Pickups on 2x times having massive peeling issues on their pickup trucks in the 90's for their white option. I think silver had problems also.

The one thing I have seen across manufactors was...Orange peel. This was a QC issue brought about by the FED'S mandating new paint formulas (EPA), which caused all sorts of issues. I still see it in vehicles I have tested. Although nowadays it is limited to spots, rather than whole body panels. Where there are issues still is the clear coat not being buffed at the assembly plants, or at the regional storage depots. If it makes it to the dealer lots, I think you can demand a total body shop detail if it is on a vehicle you want. Contingent of course on purchase and before the final paperwork signing. I have seen this on a couple of 80 thousand $ cars. Very surprising even though they were prototypes or test mules that were past the engineer stage, where final evaluations were being done for....fit n finish.

That BLUE is so sweet. It really stands out. Not having a metallic base is also a nice option. It will be interesting to see if it has OXIDATION problems in a few years. I love RED, but the sun here in the desert SW really fades that color, unless you garage it. So it is a....no go....for me.
Dealer said they haven't ruled out factory error but they're doing a free touch up next week. I'll keep an eye on the area and if more spots sprout up I'll have them redo the whole hatch or order a replacement. I think they'd do that, no?

Oh yeah that blue really pops. The pic I provided doesn't do it justice nor any video I've seen. In-person my socks were knocked off haha

*EDIT*
I think my biggest annoyance with high-sun areas is the fading of the black plastic molding pieces into a sickly gray color. Hopefully the 4R plastic holds up better.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Here's my 94 3.0 I picked it up for $1,100 a few years ago and until last year I gave it zero maintenance. We were buying a new house and moving when I got this so I put it straight to work and never slowed down long enough to even change the oil. Ha Ha When the bearing for the cooling fan siezed up I used the Sawzall to cut the fan support off to make room for the electric fan from a Crown Vic. Then I swapped in a Cadillac alternator to power the new fan. I'm not sure what's been done to lift the rear but the previous owners have tried to address the 4Runner sag and wound up overcompensating. Then the front torsion springs needed to be cranked as tight as they could go to level it. I used 3 inch ball joint spacers and then I was able to relax the torsion spring tensioners to about half their travel. I like that because it will allow me to compensate for any weight added to the rig, bumpers, winches, etc. There are OME shocks under it of the plus-length variety but I'm not sure how much longer, at least an inch, maybe 2. So I can't tell you how high it's lifted but I'd guess 2-3 inches?? This is a worn out pair of Mickey Thompson ATz that came with these wheels I bought. The wheels were an attempt to put lipstick on a pig but then I found that I couldn't use the front center caps due to the hubs sticking out. For now I'm using these tires because the DuraTracs the 4Runner came with were getting up to 3 flats a week. I aligned the front end after putting all new bushings in the control arms and new bushings and links on the stabilizer bar. I'm happy with the alignment because as I drive I'm slowly removing the cupping that the previous owner had worn into these tires. I've added a CB for trail comms, but so far that's about it for mods. Note the brown paint over the rear wheel arch? There was about a 1/4" of bondo there and it was cracked all throughout like a dry creek bed. I sanded it all away and got the metal primed before the cancer claimed it. I'm wondering if this was some sort of an artifact from the factory because there was no sign of body damage under the bondo and this spot is exactly opposite of the fuel door on the other side. This is a temporary repair until the weather clears and I can paint it Calvary Blue.
View attachment 91990
$1100 dollars, and no real outlay until last year, means you have a lot of options in the future. Even with that wheel arch, the vehicle looks in pretty good shape. Modifications vs vehicle payments.....that's a easy one. Let the BUILD...BEGIN:grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning:

Jeremiah Johnson

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Dallas, OR, USA
Member #

$1100 dollars, and no real outlay until last year, means you have a lot of options in the future. Even with that wheel arch, the vehicle looks in pretty good shape. Modifications vs vehicle payments.....that's a easy one. Let the BUILD...BEGIN:grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning:
Yes sir, that's the way i look at it too. We're way past any implied warranty period so modifications are going to happen. I have a set of the 2015 Trail wheels that I think will look classy with the Calvary Blue color. I plan to build my own bumpers and roof rack because I see that ARB front bumper everywhere and I enjoy fabrication. The real big ticket item I am planning is going to be a 1.9L TDI swap to get some diesel power going on. I look forward to the fuel range because as is I would need to carry a good deal of gas to get very far off the beaten path.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Dealer said they haven't ruled out factory error but they're doing a free touch up next week. I'll keep an eye on the area and if more spots sprout up I'll have them redo the whole hatch or order a replacement. I think they'd do that, no?

Oh yeah that blue really pops. The pic I provided doesn't do it justice nor any video I've seen. In-person my socks were knocked off haha

*EDIT*
I think my biggest annoyance with high-sun areas is the fading of the black plastic molding pieces into a sickly gray color. Hopefully the 4R plastic holds up better.
Hopefully they repaint the entire hatch, as that way, it will age the same, and not become 2 tone. Good Luck.