Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

Yes, it definitely does. I thought about trimming it if I can find a good place to do so. Otherwise, it will stay until it can't anymore.
You can pull off the limited trim. Some guys simply remove it completely, and spray bomb the panel behind it black. The couple of pictures i've seen of that looked a bit janky though. The other option is installing the trail or offroad trim piece in its place.

Look through http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/ . You're not the first to deal with fitting armor on a Limited edition, it can be done, just a few extra steps, and some extra limitations.

My understanding is that most limited editions come with 18 or 20" tires, which is another thing I'd definitely be looking at changing. You're much better off with a 17" tire if you're doing any type of serious offroading.

Brian Root

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wilmington, NC, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Root
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4RFE
You can pull off the limited trim. Some guys simply remove it completely, and spray bomb the panel behind it black. The couple of pictures i've seen of that looked a bit janky though. The other option is installing the trail or offroad trim piece in its place.

Look through http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/ . You're not the first to deal with fitting armor on a Limited edition, it can be done, just a few extra steps, and some extra limitations.

My understanding is that most limited editions come with 18 or 20" tires, which is another thing I'd definitely be looking at changing. You're much better off with a 17" tire if you're doing any type of serious offroading.
Great info, thanks! Wheels and tires will be the first thing to go. I love the look of Australian rigs with the tall skinny tires, so I was thinking of 16x7 wheels rather than 17x8. I like l BFG KO2s for my tires.

Reactions: Ben Cleveland

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

Great info, thanks! Wheels and tires will be the first thing to go. I love the look of Australian rigs with the tall skinny tires, so I was thinking of 16x7 wheels rather than 17x8. I like l BFG KO2s for my tires.
Tall skinny is the way of the future. Love it. I don't believe you can actually fit 16's on a 5th gen due to brake clearance issues, you might need to double check on that though. But 17's on tall skinny's is still a decent amount of sidewall. I'm running cooper st maxx's in 255/80/17, they're great. Those and the KO2's are the only ones available in that size.

tstead60

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

San Diego California
Member #

Tall skinny is the way of the future. Love it. I don't believe you can actually fit 16's on a 5th gen due to brake clearance issues, you might need to double check on that though. But 17's on tall skinny's is still a decent amount of sidewall. I'm running cooper st maxx's in 255/80/17, they're great. Those and the KO2's are the only ones available in that size.
Actually, there are a few more making that size now a days. I know you can get the Nitto ridge grapplers in that size ( what I'm about to get) I think the km3s come in that size as well. Still limited but they're definitely getting more popular

Brian Root

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wilmington, NC, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Root
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4RFE
I thought when I purchased my C4 sliders they said they didn't make them for the limited. I could have dreamed that though.
I've been doing a ton of research to make sure I'm not making a mistake with my purchase and what I've found is the model doesn't matter as the frames are identical. All front/rear bumpers and sliders should fit on any model 4Runner, its just the installation process that will differ because of the OEM front/rear bumpers. The only thing that makes a difference is if it has KDSS or not. If anyone has details that I may have missed, please let me know if I'm wrong on this.

WrightRunner

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

MONUMENT RANCH PERRIS CA 92570
First Name
Douglas
Last Name
Wright
Member #

You know my trail edition is very luxurious. It has seat warmers and such. I think you may be creating some head akes for yourself for a lesser probably more expensive 4runner.

Brian Root

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wilmington, NC, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Root
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4RFE
You know my trail edition is very luxurious. It has seat warmers and such. I think you may be creating some head akes for yourself for a lesser probably more expensive 4runner.
Everyone keeps saying that, but seem to forget that the Landcruiser has a very similar AWD system, locking center differential and A-Trac. If anyone out there has in depth knowledge of these systems I would love to hear your thoughts.
I'm hoping that between my research, talking to you guys/girls and professional mechanics in the off road industry I'll be well enough informed before I make my purchase.
Living in North Carolina and the heat here in the summers makes ventilated seats a very nice option. Plus I know a few guys with the Softex (vinyl) seats and say they get crazy hot. Swamp ass is never fun.
Key less entry is just a luxury I've become used to and the same goes for the climate control. Thank you for all the comments it does help me.

Reactions: WrightRunner

Brian Root

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wilmington, NC, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Root
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4RFE
You are right about the 16's, thank you. Crazy how hard it is to find a 17x7 off road wheel to be able to run a 245/75R17. I want to go with KO2's. I keep seeing that the TRD PRO 4Runner wheel is a 17x7, but they are running a 265/70R17 which from I can tell supposedly isn't recommended on a 7 inch wide wheel.

WrightRunner

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

MONUMENT RANCH PERRIS CA 92570
First Name
Douglas
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Everyone keeps saying that, but seem to forget that the Landcruiser has a very similar AWD system, locking center differential and A-Trac. If anyone out there has in depth knowledge of these systems I would love to hear your thoughts.
I'm hoping that between my research, talking to you guys/girls and professional mechanics in the off road industry I'll be well enough informed before I make my purchase.
Living in North Carolina and the heat here in the summers makes ventilated seats a very nice option. Plus I know a few guys with the Softex (vinyl) seats and say they get crazy hot. Swamp ass is never fun.
Key less entry is just a luxury I've become used to and the same goes for the climate control. Thank you for all the comments it does help me.
I have never gotten to hot on my seats here in California/swamp ass. I just run the AC. I have key less entry. I just don't get it I guess. I don't need a soccer mom truck . I want a great 4x4

Virginiawilderness

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vienna, Virginia
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Harris
Member #

Howdy from northern Virginia! We’re driving a 1997 SR5 4Runner. Rachel and I are the 3rd or 4th owner... and the rig is far from perfect, but that makes it a journey. We’ve done a pretty solid baseline with maintenance and started some work on upgrades. Started with a set of 4XInnovatoins rock sliders. Next up, maybe a bull bar and winch or a rear locker. We haven’t decided yet.

But! We are looking forward to getting the 4Runner out on the traile this fall! The photos below were before the slider install at Peters mill.

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

Howdy from northern Virginia! We’re driving a 1997 SR5 4Runner. Rachel and I are the 3rd or 4th owner... and the rig is far from perfect, but that makes it a journey. We’ve done a pretty solid baseline with maintenance and started some work on upgrades. Started with a set of 4XInnovatoins rock sliders. Next up, maybe a bull bar and winch or a rear locker. We haven’t decided yet.

But! We are looking forward to getting the 4Runner out on the traile this fall! The photos below were before the slider install at Peters mill.

Right on!

My maiden voyage with my 5th gen was Peters Mill Run as well!

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

My 4th gen. She's been fun to build and I just put a new auxilliary battery in this week to run my fridge. Contemplating mounting up a 100 watt system soon, we'll see if I find a panel that works. View attachment 71511
What type of mileage do you get with your setup?

I'm getting like 10-12ish around town since I installed my new tires. I have a feeling I may have a dragging brake caliper, but it still seems a bit low to me. I literally struggle to get 250 miles to a tank now. Pulled my RTT off since we're not doing any trips for another few weeks, to see if that changes my mileage at all. Just curious to see what someone with a similar setup is getting.

tstead60

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

San Diego California
Member #

What type of mileage do you get with your setup?

I'm getting like 10-12ish around town since I installed my new tires. I have a feeling I may have a dragging brake caliper, but it still seems a bit low to me. I literally struggle to get 250 miles to a tank now. Pulled my RTT off since we're not doing any trips for another few weeks, to see if that changes my mileage at all. Just curious to see what someone with a similar setup is getting.
Well I'm hovering around 13 with the tent on, I usually don't leave it on, but that's also in pretty bad traffic. I'm running 255 80 17s with a decent amount of weight in extra stuff.

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

Well I'm hovering around 13 with the tent on, I usually don't leave it on, but that's also in pretty bad traffic. I'm running 255 80 17s with a decent amount of weight in extra stuff.
Yep. I have a feeling that I do actually have a dragging caliper, its a common 4runner issue, but also I DO just have bad gas mileage for all the same reasons you just mentioned on your rig. 33" tires, bad traffic, short commutes, tent on top, probably another 150-200lbs of gear all the time, lift, lead foot, etc.

I've left the RTT on all summer, and this past week I just couldn't take it anymore. I value being prepared for a trip and able to load up quickly, but I think its going to become more of a monthly revisited thing for me. If we're not going on 2 or more trips in a month, i'm not leaving that puppy up there for an entire month. Its like driving around with a very cool parachute that people point at. We eventually want a trailer with the RTT on top of that, but for the meantime I may invest in a garage hoist for easy on/off of the tent.