Caligirlnic

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Bend, OR, USA
First Name
Nicci
Last Name
miller
Im looking at a 2010 4runner currently. its in pristine shape but I am unfamiliar with some of the upgrades and if the truck is worth the asking price. What do you think? asking $23,700 with 104k miles

clear bra, tinted Windows, leather seat covers in front, weathertek floor liners for front and rear and cargo area, Pioneer stereo with hands free Bluetooth and backup camera (DVD while driving also enabled), sunroof, 3" lift up front with SPC adjustable A-arms and Icon coilovers, 2" lift in the rear with Toytec coils and Bilsein shocks, Shrockworks front bumper with 10K Engo winch, heavy duty sliders with bump outs, roof basket and powder coated top rails, aftermarket black rims with 255/80 R17 Cooper ST Maxx tires 33"), rear receiver and wiring, LED light bar in front.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

1) Where is the rig located? (rust!)

2) What modifications were done to fit the 33s? (trimming-->water intrusion-->re:rust)

3) Is it an SR5 or Trail?

4) Overall, how hard do you feel was used?

As far as the mods go, if those are genuinely things you would have done yourself, you can certainly consider the cost into the purchase. A 2009 4th gen with all the same mods and miles would probably go for 16k, and a 2002 3rd gen in the same condition w/ the same gear would probably get 12-13k. Again, though, they are all good products, and if these are all things you would genuinely be interested indoing yourself, you can indeed factor in wgat is about $8k worth of mods (not including install labor) into the price. If it is a Trail (did they make those in 2010?), that slso adds a couple thousand in value.

Good luck!

OKT4RCPL

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Chandler Oklahoma
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5DVC
Considering a SR5 where I am goes for about 17K with higher mileage and no upgrades this seems to be a great deal. Make sure you can deal with how slow these vehicles are. It seems to be a big complaint about the lack of power with the 4Runner, it doesn't bother me but something you should consider.

Caligirlnic

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Bend, OR, USA
First Name
Nicci
Last Name
miller
I currently have an 08 Tacoma and haul a roughly 1900# off road camper with it. Comparing the 2 it seems the 4runner has more towing capacity and hp. I want to switch vehicles when we camp and tow our camper

Reactions: OKT4RCPL

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Considering a SR5 where I am goes for about 17K with higher mileage and no upgrades this seems to be a great deal. Make sure you can deal with how slow these vehicles are. It seems to be a big complaint about the lack of power with the 4Runner, it doesn't bother me but something you should consider.
It's really just that the economic throttle programming makes it feel slow. Basically, it takes a lot of pedal to get much torque going, and there is even a slight delay in response. This makes for a more efficient vehicle as it tempers unintentional throttle blips, but again this makes it feel slow. Objectively, it is really on par with its competitors like the Jeep JKU, the Explorer, and the Cherokee.

OKT4RCPL

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Chandler Oklahoma
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5DVC
It's really just that the economic throttle programming makes it feel slow. Basically, it takes a lot of pedal to get much torque going, and there is even a slight delay in response. This makes for a more efficient vehicle as it tempers unintentional throttle blips, but again this makes it feel slow. Objectively, it is really on par with its competitors like the Jeep JKU, the Explorer, and the Cherokee.
I am aware of that...Just wanted to put out there since it seems to be a major sticking point for several people. I came over from a BOSS 302 Mustang and thought the 4Runner was just fine.

Reactions: Lindenwood

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

It’s very clean and garage kept. Your questions are really good though. No rust that I can see.
@Caligirlnic

That looks like a good rig. Have you pulled a carfax? Check for any accidents and service history. I'd suggest that since you're in Golden if you are considering it to put down a deposit, set up an inspection appt and take it over to Slee on Hwy 93. They will know the runner and be well versed on the ins and outs of the mods, They should be able to help you decide if they were done properly. Ask if the SPC uppers are the new forged models or the older cast. I've read about some issues with the cast ones. Mine are the forged models.

To put things in perspective last year I bought my 06 T4R V8 Sport with <80k on the clock, clean carfax and full service history for ~19k down in Denver. I'm another ~7-8k into mods (BP51 shocks, 32" KO2's, Sliders and Rack, and DIY Drawer system some other bits and bobs.)

IIRC the 08 Taco has the 4L v6 this will be the 3.5L which is not as well liked by many. I can say I got the 4th gen for towing my popup RV as my 97 taco with the 3.4L did NOT like towing it in the Mtns. While my 4th gen with the V8 barely knows it's back there!

Boort

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
If your concerned about any body rust, get yourself a small magnet, and ck around the wheel wells, and rocker areas. No stick=body work, weak stick=light body work. Very important in road salt areas. From the picture it looks nice, and as others have said, if some or most of these mods were planned, then they are worth it over a basic stock one. Check the fluids-trans especially for fluid color. As Boort referenced, have a trusted shop check it out. The seller shouldn't mind if everything is on the "up &up"